Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > UPS setup question

UPS setup question

Wayne McClain

I have a wall power outlet that I plan to plug three PC's and one CRT
monitor into, as well as a 5.1 speaker system, KVM switch, SOHO router and
cable modem. I'm connecting all theses devices to only one outlet because
there are no other outlets close enough to also use.

I want to get a UPS for filtering out "dirty" electricity and for power
backup for the main components (the PCs, monitor & speakers). I'm leaning
toward either an APC BR1500, which has 1500VA/865W and six outlets with
battery backup...

http://www.apcc.com/resource/include...ase_sku=BR1500

...or toward two APC Conext CNB900 units. Each CNB900 has 900VA/500W and
four outlets with battery backup...

http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=282177

The backup times wonít have to last for very long, so either setup would be
sufficient.

My question is whether or not it would be OK to use only one UPS unit with
865-watt capacity and have all these components connected to it. Or if it
would be better to use two UPS units with 500-watt capacity each and
distribute the components evenly between them. I don't know whether it
would be safer to distribute all the major devices between two different
UPS's on the same outlet, or if itís fine to have everything going through
only one UPS on the same outlet (and keeping the second plug on the outlet
empty). If it doesnít make a difference, I would prefer to use only one
UPS unit for everything...

TIA

=?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Wayne McClain wrote:
> I have a wall power outlet that I plan to plug three PC's and one CRT
> monitor into, as well as a 5.1 speaker system, KVM switch, SOHO router and
> cable modem. I'm connecting all theses devices to only one outlet because
> there are no other outlets close enough to also use.
>
> I want to get a UPS for filtering out "dirty" electricity and for power
> backup for the main components (the PCs, monitor & speakers). I'm leaning
> toward either an APC BR1500, which has 1500VA/865W and six outlets with
> battery backup...
>
> http://www.apcc.com/resource/include...ase_sku=BR1500
>
> ..or toward two APC Conext CNB900 units. Each CNB900 has 900VA/500W and
> four outlets with battery backup...
>
> http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=282177
>
> The backup times wonít have to last for very long, so either setup would be
> sufficient.
>
> My question is whether or not it would be OK to use only one UPS unit with
> 865-watt capacity and have all these components connected to it. Or if it
> would be better to use two UPS units with 500-watt capacity each and
> distribute the components evenly between them. I don't know whether it
> would be safer to distribute all the major devices between two different
> UPS's on the same outlet, or if itís fine to have everything going through
> only one UPS on the same outlet (and keeping the second plug on the outlet
> empty). If it doesnít make a difference, I would prefer to use only one
> UPS unit for everything...
>
> TIA

Use one, the components won't overload the UPS. But what else is on that
circuit? Flip off the breaker and see what stops running. It's better
not to have a refrigerator, heater, toaster, hair dryer or anything that
has a heavy draw on the same circuit.

Blinky the Shark

["Followup-To:" header set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk.]
Wayne McClain wrote:

> I have a wall power outlet that I plan to plug three PC's and one CRT
> monitor into, as well as a 5.1 speaker system, KVM switch, SOHO router and
> cable modem. I'm connecting all theses devices to only one outlet because
> there are no other outlets close enough to also use.

> I want to get a UPS for filtering out "dirty" electricity and for power
> backup for the main components (the PCs, monitor & speakers). I'm leaning
> toward either an APC BR1500, which has 1500VA/865W and six outlets with
> battery backup...

> http://www.apcc.com/resource/include...ase_sku=BR1500

> ..or toward two APC Conext CNB900 units. Each CNB900 has 900VA/500W and
> four outlets with battery backup...

> http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=282177

> The backup times wonít have to last for very long, so either setup would be
> sufficient.

> My question is whether or not it would be OK to use only one UPS unit with
> 865-watt capacity and have all these components connected to it. Or if it
> would be better to use two UPS units with 500-watt capacity each and
> distribute the components evenly between them. I don't know whether it
> would be safer to distribute all the major devices between two different
> UPS's on the same outlet, or if itís fine to have everything going through
> only one UPS on the same outlet (and keeping the second plug on the outlet
> empty). If it doesnít make a difference, I would prefer to use only one
> UPS unit for everything...

I have a couple thoughts. First, think about the old idea of small
files still taking up X-sized clusters on your hard drive, with slack
space making up the difference. Applying the same kind of idea to the
two 500W units for 1000W and a single 865W unit, you'll probably end up
*using* about the same capacity, because you'll probably come in under
500W on each of the two units and the *total* "slack" (I use the term very
loosely) will probably be greater there because there is chunk of slack
on each of two units. That probably makes it a toss-up in terms of
capacity; but the cost of two 500's is going to be more than one 1000W;
so I'd probably lean to the one big unit. Second, I hope either
solution proves to be adequate. You've got a lot of hardware, there.
I just put in a 500W Belkin for one computer, one 19" CRT and my modem,
and it couldn't handle that load. Instant blow upon powering up, even if
I didn't have both monitor and system plugged in when I powered the UPS.
I had to upgrade to a 660W unit. That that's significantly less gear than
you're going to be using.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

127.0.0.1

> Wayne McClain wrote:
>> I have a wall power outlet that I plan to plug three PC's and one CRT
>> monitor into, as well as a 5.1 speaker system, KVM switch, SOHO router
>> and cable modem. I'm connecting all theses devices to only one outlet
>> because there are no other outlets close enough to also use.
>>
>> I want to get a UPS for filtering out "dirty" electricity and for power
>> backup for the main components (the PCs, monitor & speakers). I'm
>> leaning toward either an APC BR1500, which has 1500VA/865W and six
>> outlets with battery backup...
>>
>> http://www.apcc.com/resource/include...ase_sku=BR1500
>>
>> ..or toward two APC Conext CNB900 units. Each CNB900 has 900VA/500W and
>> four outlets with battery backup...
>>
>> http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=282177
>>
>> The backup times wonít have to last for very long, so either setup would
>> be sufficient.
>>
>> My question is whether or not it would be OK to use only one UPS unit
>> with 865-watt capacity and have all these components connected to it. Or
>> if it would be better to use two UPS units with 500-watt capacity each
>> and distribute the components evenly between them. I don't know whether
>> it would be safer to distribute all the major devices between two
>> different UPS's on the same outlet, or if itís fine to have everything
>> going through only one UPS on the same outlet (and keeping the second
>> plug on the outlet empty). If it doesnít make a difference, I would
>> prefer to use only one UPS unit for everything...

get a filtered powerstrip and a 500w UPS. connect the router/cablemodem/CPU
box to the UPS and everything else to powerstrip. hookup the UPS serial
cable (or ethernet, depends on type of UPS) to the CPU box). when
configured, the UPS will tell your PC to shutdown during power outages.
hooking up all the devices to one UPS will drain it much much quicker during
outages.

i have a liebert powersure 700 that does a good job for two CPU boxes. it
also has a load indicator.

-a|ex

Toolman Tim

"Wayne McClain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a wall power outlet that I plan to plug three PC's and one CRT
> monitor into, as well as a 5.1 speaker system, KVM switch, SOHO router and
> cable modem. I'm connecting all theses devices to only one outlet because
> there are no other outlets close enough to also use.
>
> I want to get a UPS for filtering out "dirty" electricity and for power
> backup for the main components (the PCs, monitor & speakers). I'm leaning
> toward either an APC BR1500, which has 1500VA/865W and six outlets with
> battery backup...
>
> http://www.apcc.com/resource/include...ase_sku=BR1500
>
> ..or toward two APC Conext CNB900 units. Each CNB900 has 900VA/500W and
> four outlets with battery backup...
>
> http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=282177
>
> The backup times won't have to last for very long, so either setup would
> be
> sufficient.
>
> My question is whether or not it would be OK to use only one UPS unit with
> 865-watt capacity and have all these components connected to it. Or if it
> would be better to use two UPS units with 500-watt capacity each and
> distribute the components evenly between them. I don't know whether it
> would be safer to distribute all the major devices between two different
> UPS's on the same outlet, or if it's fine to have everything going through
> only one UPS on the same outlet (and keeping the second plug on the outlet
> empty). If it doesn't make a difference, I would prefer to use only one
> UPS unit for everything...
>
> TIA

You've got other replies addressing the power issue - I just wanted to post
a warning. Do *not* plug laser type printers into a UPS. Dot matrix and
inkjet printers are okay. The laser printer can be burned out by the
non-sine wave power supplied by a UPS.

chocolatemalt

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Wayne McClain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I want to get a UPS for filtering out "dirty" electricity and for power
> backup for the main components (the PCs, monitor & speakers). I'm leaning
> toward either an APC BR1500, which has 1500VA/865W and six outlets with
> battery backup...

The Back-UPS line doesn't do a lot of power filtering. A Smart-UPS is a
better choice for this, and has many other features besides. Ebay is a
good option if you get sticker shock.

--
Steve Kives -- Unix sysadmin/netadmin -- Denver, CO
Forward and fiaka, Manacle an den gosaka