Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > For Any AVG Anti-Virus Users: Trojan Horse Back Door Quest., Please

For Any AVG Anti-Virus Users: Trojan Horse Back Door Quest., Please

Robert11

Hello:

Have been using AVG anti virus (the free edition) for a few
weeks now. Sure seems a lot more "stable" and problem free
than Norton's or McCaffee.

I like it, but of course it's really hard to know
just how good a job it is really doing.
Any opinions on how good it really is ?

Anyway, i did a full system scan (probably about the third I've done since
I started using it) and it found three viruses / trojans:

The three all had the following characteristics:

C:\System Volume Information.restore[ big alpha numeric].exe
" Trojan Horse Back Door IROFFCR.3.AR "

Three questions, please:

a. What is this that it fouind ?

b. Did it likely get into my PC thru web surfing, e-mail, or... ?

c. How come AVG didn't stop it in the first place, rather than having to
wait until I did
a full system scan (everything is turned on in their control panel, I
believe) ?

Thanks,
Bob

THEOLDONE

Bob:

Appears that "free" version does not contain portion that allows you to
schecule a complete scan, unless manually activated.

They...as do others...give away free , reduced versions...to get you to buy
the full, complete software.

Question:

Since you downloaded have you seen an increase in pop-up advertisements?

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello:
>
> Have been using AVG anti virus (the free edition) for a few
> weeks now. Sure seems a lot more "stable" and problem free
> than Norton's or McCaffee.
>
> I like it, but of course it's really hard to know
> just how good a job it is really doing.
> Any opinions on how good it really is ?
>
> Anyway, i did a full system scan (probably about the third I've done since
> I started using it) and it found three viruses / trojans:
>
> The three all had the following characteristics:
>
> C:\System Volume Information.restore[ big alpha numeric].exe
> " Trojan Horse Back Door IROFFCR.3.AR "
>
> Three questions, please:
>
> a. What is this that it fouind ?
>
> b. Did it likely get into my PC thru web surfing, e-mail, or... ?
>
> c. How come AVG didn't stop it in the first place, rather than having to
> wait until I did
> a full system scan (everything is turned on in their control panel, I
> believe) ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

127.0.0.1

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello:
>
> Have been using AVG anti virus (the free edition) for a few
> weeks now. Sure seems a lot more "stable" and problem free
> than Norton's or McCaffee.
>
> I like it, but of course it's really hard to know
> just how good a job it is really doing.
> Any opinions on how good it really is ?
>
> Anyway, i did a full system scan (probably about the third I've done since
> I started using it) and it found three viruses / trojans:
>
> The three all had the following characteristics:
>
> C:\System Volume Information.restore[ big alpha numeric].exe
> " Trojan Horse Back Door IROFFCR.3.AR "
>
> Three questions, please:
>
> a. What is this that it fouind ?
>
> b. Did it likely get into my PC thru web surfing, e-mail, or... ?
>
> c. How come AVG didn't stop it in the first place, rather than having to
> wait until I did
> a full system scan (everything is turned on in their control panel, I
> believe) ?

search avg database for trojan info... you should have that option with the
freebee.
most likely downloaded from peer to peer software (kazaalite, emule, etc...)
and also email attachments. can also be downloaded from the web browser
(banner porn/warez sites).

AVG is not full proof. i also use trendmicro's online webscan to find
virus/trojans that AVG doesn't find (IRC related trojans).

AVG free defaults with scheduled full scans, but you need to leave your
machine on during that scheduled time. I manually turn off the scheduled
scan/update and scan the system once a week.

I also do registry searches on the run/runonce for unknown applications.

-a|ex

Bob H

Go to alt.comp.antivirus and ask them
[...]

Sorry - alt.com.anti-virus
"Bob H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Bud Light

I got the same thing. I couldn't even delete the file. Only allowed me to
heal and move to Virus vault.

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello:
>
> Have been using AVG anti virus (the free edition) for a few
> weeks now. Sure seems a lot more "stable" and problem free
> than Norton's or McCaffee.
>
> I like it, but of course it's really hard to know
> just how good a job it is really doing.
> Any opinions on how good it really is ?
>
> Anyway, i did a full system scan (probably about the third I've done since
> I started using it) and it found three viruses / trojans:
>
> The three all had the following characteristics:
>
> C:\System Volume Information.restore[ big alpha numeric].exe
> " Trojan Horse Back Door IROFFCR.3.AR "
>
> Three questions, please:
>
> a. What is this that it fouind ?
>
> b. Did it likely get into my PC thru web surfing, e-mail, or... ?
>
> c. How come AVG didn't stop it in the first place, rather than having to
> wait until I did
> a full system scan (everything is turned on in their control panel, I
> believe) ?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Walter Mautner

Robert11 wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Have been using AVG anti virus (the free edition) for a few
> weeks now. Sure seems a lot more "stable" and problem free
> than Norton's or McCaffee.
>
> I like it, but of course it's really hard to know
> just how good a job it is really doing.
> Any opinions on how good it really is ?
>
> Anyway, i did a full system scan (probably about the third I've done since
> I started using it) and it found three viruses / trojans:
>
> The three all had the following characteristics:
>
> C:\System Volume Information.restore[ big alpha numeric].exe
> " Trojan Horse Back Door IROFFCR.3.AR "

You see " ..restore" here and in fact it is hidden inside one or more of XPs
mysterious "system restore point" snapshots. AVG and any other scanner
cannot delete it there, it's heavily protected. There are strong advices to
disable system restore feature when doing such a full scan - you will get
rid of all your previous restore points included the saved
adware/viruses/trojans within. After cleaning, don't forget to turn system
restore back on.

*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.10-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Bob C

> Appears that "free" version does not contain portion that allows you to
> schecule a complete scan, unless manually activated.

*******s

ellis_jay

Robert11 wrote:
> Hello:

>> The three all had the following characteristics:

> C:\System Volume Information.restore[ big alpha numeric].exe
> " Trojan Horse Back Door IROFFCR.3.AR "
>
> Three questions, please:
>
> a. What is this that it fouind ?
>
> b. Did it likely get into my PC thru web surfing, e-mail, or... ?

> Thanks,
> Bob

And always search www.google.com for information gathering . Just typing in
some keywords at Google and you may be busy for half a day reading other's
experiences with the search item.

For example copying and pasting the following:

IROFFCR.3.AR

would be sufficient. In fact I will do that myself shortly. But this
newsgroup should also be one of your sites of interest-in fact, one of your
most important sites of interest.

--
He released government from the restraint of law.
____Lord Acton on Niccolo Machiavelli (1469-1527), George W. Bush, and

Ellis_Jay