Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Safe CPU temperature

Safe CPU temperature

Jack B. Pollack

Does anyone know what a safe operating temperature range is for a P4 1.9GHZ
Machine.
I am not trying to over-clock this computer.

Thanks

Clob

Are you having restarts and thermal shut downs? If not then its fine.

"Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:U0RTd.15028$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know what a safe operating temperature range is for a P4
> 1.9GHZ
> Machine.
> I am not trying to over-clock this computer.
>
> Thanks

Jack B. Pollack

The heatsink separated from the CPU while I was cleaning the fan. I put some
CPU heatsink compound on it before replacing it, but just want to make sure
that it is not getting too hot.

"Clob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Are you having restarts and thermal shut downs? If not then its fine.
>
> "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:U0RTd.15028$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Does anyone know what a safe operating temperature range is for a P4
> > 1.9GHZ
> > Machine.
> > I am not trying to over-clock this computer.
> >
> > Thanks

Mike K.

Just make sure the bottom of the heat sink comes completely in contact with
the CPU die. Also, don't use a whole lot of compund on it, just a dab
basically.

"Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LeRTd.15030$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The heatsink separated from the CPU while I was cleaning the fan. I put
> some
> CPU heatsink compound on it before replacing it, but just want to make
> sure
> that it is not getting too hot.
>

> "Clob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Are you having restarts and thermal shut downs? If not then its fine.
>>
>> "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:U0RTd.15028$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Does anyone know what a safe operating temperature range is for a P4
>> > 1.9GHZ
>> > Machine.
>> > I am not trying to over-clock this computer.
>> >
>> > Thanks

Jack B. Pollack

I put on about the size of a grain of rice, then smeared it with a
razor-blade to cover the entire surface.
CPU is running the 53C range (wish I had looked at what it was running at
prior to my 'repair').

"Mike K." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvRTd.57475$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Just make sure the bottom of the heat sink comes completely in contact

with
> the CPU die. Also, don't use a whole lot of compund on it, just a dab
> basically.
>

> "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:LeRTd.15030$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The heatsink separated from the CPU while I was cleaning the fan. I put
> > some
> > CPU heatsink compound on it before replacing it, but just want to make
> > sure
> > that it is not getting too hot.
> >

> > "Clob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> Are you having restarts and thermal shut downs? If not then its fine.
> >>
> >> "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:U0RTd.15028$(E-Mail Removed)...

chuckie®

Generally speaking, if you can keep it below 40° C., you should be safe.
Bearing in mind, the more you do, the higher the temp will go, that is, the
temp will be higher playing a graphic intensive game than it will be, say,
surfing the net or answering email and such. All this depends on the method
of checking said temp also, some are better than others...luck...

"Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:U0RTd.15028$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know what a safe operating temperature range is for a P4

1.9GHZ
> Machine.
> I am not trying to over-clock this computer.
>
> Thanks

Blinky the Shark

Jack B. Pollack wrote:

> Does anyone know what a safe operating temperature range is for a P4 1.9GHZ
> Machine.

If that's a question: yes.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/200.../cpu_chart.gif

See column labeled "Temperature".

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

Miss Perspicacia Tick

Jack B. Pollack wrote:
> I put on about the size of a grain of rice, then smeared it with a
> razor-blade to cover the entire surface.
> CPU is running the 53C range (wish I had looked at what it was
> running at prior to my 'repair').
>

> "Mike K." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bvRTd.57475$(E-Mail Removed). com...
>> Just make sure the bottom of the heat sink comes completely in
>> contact with the CPU die. Also, don't use a whole lot of compund on
>> it, just a dab basically.
>>

>> "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:LeRTd.15030$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The heatsink separated from the CPU while I was cleaning the fan. I
>>> put some
>>> CPU heatsink compound on it before replacing it, but just want to
>>> make sure
>>> that it is not getting too hot.
>>>

>>> "Clob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

"In the 53°C range" is meaningless - is that idle - or under load? If under
load, then it's fine. If idle, then you could potentially have problems - I
have an Athlon FX-55 and it idles at around 41°C and hits 55° under heavy
stress. That's normal because the FX-55 is a hot running processor. The
maximum temperature for a P4 1.9 is around 75°C - if yours is idling at 53°
then it could hit 68°+ under load and you could run into problems.
on salads.

CPU Temperature is 77 Deg Celsius Is it okay Ockerr Computer Support 12 12-28-2004 06:39 AM
CPU temperature 10_4 Computer Support 8 11-15-2004 06:01 AM
CPU Temperature Reading - SiSandra and similar Allan Computer Support 11 08-28-2004 06:29 PM
Software to put CPU temperature on task bar Bill Dobbs Computer Support 3 08-23-2003 03:52 AM
CPU Temperature Monitoring? John Computer Support 2 08-21-2003 08:41 PM

Advertisments