Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer Crashing

Computer Crashing

Mike K.

Hello.
I am running an athlon XP +2000 with 512mb of ram and have an ATI Radeon
7000 64mb AGP card. I am also running XP Pro on a WD 80gb drive and also
have another 80gb slaved drive

The problem is that after a while of normal operation, when i try to run
some programs, like winamp usually, my computer crashes. I'm able to bring
up task manager though and under performance, CPU usage and Page File Usage
are both 0. When I run Process Explorer (good program) theres a process
named cimanm.exe and it either has calc.exe or packager.exe running as a sub
process which is out of the ordinary. The cimanm.exe file is in my
windows32 directory. Its description says "TODO: <file description" and
company name is "TODO: <company name>" Google doesn't say anything about
this.

Could this be a hardware problem, a virus, or a software problem?

samuel

"Mike K." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:GkQTd.57452$(E-Mail Removed). com:

> Hello.
> I am running an athlon XP +2000 with 512mb of ram and have an
> ATI Radeon 7000 64mb AGP card. I am also running XP Pro on a
> WD 80gb drive and also have another 80gb slaved drive
>
> The problem is that after a while of normal operation, when i
> try to run some programs, like winamp usually, my computer
> crashes. I'm able to bring up task manager though and under
> performance, CPU usage and Page File Usage are both 0. When I
> run Process Explorer (good program) theres a process named
> cimanm.exe and it either has calc.exe or packager.exe running
> as a sub process which is out of the ordinary. The cimanm.exe
> file is in my windows32 directory. Its description says
> "TODO: <file description" and company name is "TODO: <company
> name>" Google doesn't say anything about this.
>
> Could this be a hardware problem, a virus, or a software
> problem?

if you don't know what cimanm.exe is then try an online scan like
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

you could download, install, update, run these too
Ad-Aware http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
Spybot Search and Destroy
Spyware Blaster
Hijackthis http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?
check your Hijackthis log file here.
http://hijackthis.de/index.php?langselect=english
or http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
and CWShredder

chuckieŽ

Generally speaking, if you can keep it below 40° C., you should be safe.
Bearing in mind, the more you do, the higher the temp will go, that is, the
temp will be higher playing a graphic intensive game than it will be, say,
surfing the net or answering email and such. All this depends on the method
of checking said temp also, some are better than others...luck...

"Mike K." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GkQTd.57452$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Hello.
> I am running an athlon XP +2000 with 512mb of ram and have an ATI Radeon
> 7000 64mb AGP card. I am also running XP Pro on a WD 80gb drive and also
> have another 80gb slaved drive
>
> The problem is that after a while of normal operation, when i try to run
> some programs, like winamp usually, my computer crashes. I'm able to

bring
> up task manager though and under performance, CPU usage and Page File

Usage
> are both 0. When I run Process Explorer (good program) theres a process
> named cimanm.exe and it either has calc.exe or packager.exe running as a

sub
> process which is out of the ordinary. The cimanm.exe file is in my
> windows32 directory. Its description says "TODO: <file description" and
> company name is "TODO: <company name>" Google doesn't say anything about
> this.
>
> Could this be a hardware problem, a virus, or a software problem?

chuckieŽ

My apologies, somehow (tired, I suspect) I posted this answer to the wrong
thread...sheesh, I really am getting too old for this...

"chuckieŽ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9aSTd.12334$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Generally speaking, if you can keep it below 40° C., you should be safe.
> Bearing in mind, the more you do, the higher the temp will go, that is,

the
> temp will be higher playing a graphic intensive game than it will be, say,
> surfing the net or answering email and such. All this depends on the

method
> of checking said temp also, some are better than others...luck...
>
> "Mike K." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:GkQTd.57452$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> > Hello.
> > I am running an athlon XP +2000 with 512mb of ram and have an ATI Radeon
> > 7000 64mb AGP card. I am also running XP Pro on a WD 80gb drive and

also
> > have another 80gb slaved drive
> >
> > The problem is that after a while of normal operation, when i try to run
> > some programs, like winamp usually, my computer crashes. I'm able to

> bring
> > up task manager though and under performance, CPU usage and Page File

> Usage
> > are both 0. When I run Process Explorer (good program) theres a process
> > named cimanm.exe and it either has calc.exe or packager.exe running as a

> sub
> > process which is out of the ordinary. The cimanm.exe file is in my
> > windows32 directory. Its description says "TODO: <file description" and
> > company name is "TODO: <company name>" Google doesn't say anything

about
> > this.
> >
> > Could this be a hardware problem, a virus, or a software problem?

Firefox crashing computer... Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell Firefox 5 04-02-2006 09:19 PM
Runtime Error Crashing Computer lynn Computer Support 27 01-30-2006 11:21 PM
Tiny Computer crashing/ wont start?? bluewal Computer Support 5 11-17-2005 07:27 AM
Computer crashing Tom Computer Support 2 04-20-2005 11:30 AM
Midis suddenly crashing computer Sharon Computer Support 17 01-09-2004 06:17 PM

Advertisments