Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Another Hotmail "improvement"

Another Hotmail "improvement"

r_mervart

"Dear MSN Member,
Recently, Hotmail® announced that in order to improve customer experience
and reduce spam and junk e-mail abuse on MSN® services, Hotmail will no
longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via Microsoft® Office
Outlook® and Outlook Express."

This is the message I received recently - just at a time I was setting up a
new account for my wife with access from OE. I was just too late. Damn.

Roman

Gordon

r_mervart wrote:
> "Dear MSN Member,
> Recently, Hotmail® announced that in order to improve customer
> experience and reduce spam and junk e-mail abuse on MSN® services,
> Hotmail will no longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via
> Microsoft® Office Outlook® and Outlook Express."
>
> This is the message I received recently - just at a time I was
> setting up a new account for my wife with access from OE. I was just
> too late. Damn.
>
> Roman

Doesn't matter - existing free Hotmail accounts are being phased out as
well.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

James Mourby

"r_mervart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%FKTd.699$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Dear MSN Member,
> Recently, Hotmail® announced that in order to improve customer experience
> and reduce spam and junk e-mail abuse on MSN® services, Hotmail will no
> longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via Microsoft® Office
> Outlook® and Outlook Express."
>
> This is the message I received recently - just at a time I was setting up
> new account for my wife with access from OE. I was just too late. Damn.
>
> Roman

Ahh those with already-open accounts were also told...

"We are pleased to inform you that because you are an existing and valued
customer, at this time your current Hotmail and MSN account(s) are exempt
from this restriction and you will be able to continue enjoying access to
those accounts from Outlook or Outlook Express. However, any new Hotmail or
MSN accounts you create will not be accessible via Outlook or Outlook
Express."

Blinky the Shark

James Mourby wrote:

> "r_mervart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%FKTd.699$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Dear MSN Member,
>> Recently, Hotmail® announced that in order to improve customer experience
>> and reduce spam and junk e-mail abuse on MSN® services, Hotmail will no
>> longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via Microsoft® Office
>> Outlook® and Outlook Express."

>> This is the message I received recently - just at a time I was setting up
>> new account for my wife with access from OE. I was just too late. Damn.

>> Roman

> Ahh those with already-open accounts were also told...

> "We are pleased to inform you that because you are an existing and valued
> customer, at this time your current Hotmail and MSN account(s) are exempt
> from this restriction and you will be able to continue enjoying access to
> those accounts from Outlook or Outlook Express. However, any new Hotmail or
> MSN accounts you create will not be accessible via Outlook or Outlook
> Express."

Is this MSdumbdownspeak for "you'll still have POP/SMTP access"?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

PuppyKatt

"James Mourby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:421f7b46$0$60693$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "r_mervart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%FKTd.699$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Dear MSN Member,
>> Recently, Hotmail® announced that in order to improve customer experience
>> and reduce spam and junk e-mail abuse on MSN® services, Hotmail will no
>> longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via Microsoft® Office
>> Outlook® and Outlook Express."
>>
>> This is the message I received recently - just at a time I was setting up
>> new account for my wife with access from OE. I was just too late. Damn.
>>
>> Roman

> Ahh those with already-open accounts were also told...
>
> "We are pleased to inform you that because you are an existing and valued
> customer, at this time your current Hotmail and MSN account(s) are exempt
> from this restriction and you will be able to continue enjoying access to
> those accounts from Outlook or Outlook Express. However, any new Hotmail
> or MSN accounts you create will not be accessible via Outlook or Outlook
> Express."

I have had my hHotmail account for 8 years now, and I lost the ability to
use OE for it a couple of months ago.

-Lone_Wolf-

PuppyKatt wrote:
> "James Mourby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:421f7b46$0$60693$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "r_mervart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%FKTd.699$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "Dear MSN Member,
>>> Recently, Hotmail® announced that in order to improve customer
>>> experience and reduce spam and junk e-mail abuse on MSN® services,
>>> Hotmail will no longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via
>>> Microsoft® Office Outlook® and Outlook Express."
>>>
>>> This is the message I received recently - just at a time I was
>>> setting up a
>>> new account for my wife with access from OE. I was just too late.
>>> Damn. Roman

>> Ahh those with already-open accounts were also told...
>>
>> "We are pleased to inform you that because you are an existing and
>> valued customer, at this time your current Hotmail and MSN
>> account(s) are exempt from this restriction and you will be able to
>> continue enjoying access to those accounts from Outlook or Outlook
>> Express. However, any new Hotmail or MSN accounts you create will
>> not be accessible via Outlook or Outlook Express."
>>

> I have had my hHotmail account for 8 years now, and I lost the
> ability to use OE for it a couple of months ago.

Try again... They took mine away for a month and put it back. I think they
were trying to stop spam, but had too many complaints so they decided to
grand father the change.

PuppyKatt

Thank you for thi info, -Lone_Wolf-. Got it.

"-Lone_Wolf-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> PuppyKatt wrote:
>> "James Mourby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:421f7b46$0$60693$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "r_mervart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%FKTd.699$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Ahh those with already-open accounts were also told...
>>>
>>> "We are pleased to inform you that because you are an existing and
>>> valued customer, at this time your current Hotmail and MSN
>>> account(s) are exempt from this restriction and you will be able to
>>> continue enjoying access to those accounts from Outlook or Outlook
>>> Express. However, any new Hotmail or MSN accounts you create will
>>> not be accessible via Outlook or Outlook Express."
>>>

>> I have had my hHotmail account for 8 years now, and I lost the
>> ability to use OE for it a couple of months ago.

> Try again... They took mine away for a month and put it back. I think they
> were trying to stop spam, but had too many complaints so they decided to
> grand father the change.

Barry OGrady

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:40:06 -0600, "PuppyKatt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"James Mourby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:421f7b46$0$60693$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "r_mervart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%FKTd.699$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "Dear MSN Member,
>>> Recently, Hotmail® announced that in order to improve customer experience
>>> and reduce spam and junk e-mail abuse on MSN® services, Hotmail will no
>>> longer allow new e-mail accounts to be accessed via Microsoft® Office
>>> Outlook® and Outlook Express."
>>>
>>> This is the message I received recently - just at a time I was setting up
>>> new account for my wife with access from OE. I was just too late. Damn.
>>>
>>> Roman

>> Ahh those with already-open accounts were also told...
>>
>> "We are pleased to inform you that because you are an existing and valued
>> customer, at this time your current Hotmail and MSN account(s) are exempt
>> from this restriction and you will be able to continue enjoying access to
>> those accounts from Outlook or Outlook Express. However, any new Hotmail
>> or MSN accounts you create will not be accessible via Outlook or Outlook
>> Express."
>>

>I have had my hHotmail account for 8 years now, and I lost the ability to
>use OE for it a couple of months ago.

I use Hotmail with Eudora.

-Barry
========

anthonyberet

PuppyKatt wrote:
<snip>
>>Try again... They took mine away for a month and put it back. I think they
>>were trying to stop spam, but had too many complaints so they decided to
>>grand father the change.

That's clever... why don't they just cap the number of messages that can
be sent via outlook/OE per 24 hours?

Blinky the Shark

anthonyberet wrote:

> PuppyKatt wrote:
><snip>
>>>Try again... They took mine away for a month and put it back. I think they
>>>were trying to stop spam, but had too many complaints so they decided to
>>>grand father the change.

> That's clever... why don't they just cap the number of messages that can
> be sent via outlook/OE per 24 hours?

Outlook/OE? How about...lessee...one a month?