Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Computer locks up solid during video work

Computer locks up solid during video work

Bob

I can run this computer all day surfing the net no problem... as soon as I start
showing movies, AVIs, MPGs, whatever - there is a 100% likelyhood of locking up.

The problem is worse now that I have a video capture device (Plextor USB video
converter) and am trying to convert old home movies to DVD.

Sometimes the movie plays for half an hour, but as soon as I do something, like
resize the window, or start and stop - ZAP! GONE!

And it takes the reset switch to recover - nothing else works... no keys,
nothing.

And any video player or editing package will do it.

I'm getting tired of scandisk.... any ideas?

Intel MB 845, P4, 2.4ghz, MS XtraPathetic Home SP2, 512m.

Unk

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:13:45 -0500, Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I can run this computer all day surfing the net no problem... as soon as I start
>showing movies, AVIs, MPGs, whatever - there is a 100% likelyhood of locking up.
>
>The problem is worse now that I have a video capture device (Plextor USB video
>converter) and am trying to convert old home movies to DVD.
>
>Sometimes the movie plays for half an hour, but as soon as I do something, like
>resize the window, or start and stop - ZAP! GONE!
>
>And it takes the reset switch to recover - nothing else works... no keys,
>nothing.
>
>And any video player or editing package will do it.
>
>I'm getting tired of scandisk.... any ideas?
>
>Intel MB 845, P4, 2.4ghz, MS XtraPathetic Home SP2, 512m.

Try lowering the "Hardware Accelerator" setting a notch or two.

Right-click the desktop, select Properties. Click the "Settings" tab.
Click the "Advanced" button, click the "Troubleshoot" tab.

If that solves the problem, try updating your video card drivers.

Mac attack

Bob wrote:
> I can run this computer all day surfing the net no problem... as soon as I start
> showing movies, AVIs, MPGs, whatever - there is a 100% likelyhood of locking up.
>
> The problem is worse now that I have a video capture device (Plextor USB video
> converter) and am trying to convert old home movies to DVD.
>
> Sometimes the movie plays for half an hour, but as soon as I do something, like
> resize the window, or start and stop - ZAP! GONE!
>
> And it takes the reset switch to recover - nothing else works... no keys,
> nothing.
>
> And any video player or editing package will do it.
>
> I'm getting tired of scandisk.... any ideas?
>
> Intel MB 845, P4, 2.4ghz, MS XtraPathetic Home SP2, 512m.

Several possibilities, hard to tell with no error codes. here are some
of the more likely causes.
A quick search of Intel's site shows 3 MB with the number 845 in the
designation, 2 of them support the Pentium4 and one of those 2 come with
onboard video.

1) If your motherboard has an integrated video card enabled, Buy a real
video card (AGP) and disable the onboard one in the bios, If you have
already done this or have been running an AGP card all along then,

2) Power supply is too small. I tend to favor this one because you say
it has become worse since adding another device.

HTH

Bob

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:56:58 -0500, Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 20:13:45 -0500, Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I can run this computer all day surfing the net no problem... as soon as I start
>>showing movies, AVIs, MPGs, whatever - there is a 100% likelyhood of locking up.
>>
>>The problem is worse now that I have a video capture device (Plextor USB video
>>converter) and am trying to convert old home movies to DVD.
>>
>>Sometimes the movie plays for half an hour, but as soon as I do something, like
>>resize the window, or start and stop - ZAP! GONE!
>>
>>And it takes the reset switch to recover - nothing else works... no keys,
>>nothing.
>>
>>And any video player or editing package will do it.
>>
>>I'm getting tired of scandisk.... any ideas?
>>
>>Intel MB 845, P4, 2.4ghz, MS XtraPathetic Home SP2, 512m.

>Try lowering the "Hardware Accelerator" setting a notch or two.
>
>Right-click the desktop, select Properties. Click the "Settings" tab.
>Click the "Advanced" button, click the "Troubleshoot" tab.
>
>If that solves the problem, try updating your video card drivers.

I tried that, but the editor won't work without 3/4 of the accelerator... still
crashes.

Maybe I'll try it turned off and just play videos and see... but that's not a
fix!

Bob

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 02:03:15 GMT, Mac attack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bob wrote:
>> I can run this computer all day surfing the net no problem... as soon as I start
>> showing movies, AVIs, MPGs, whatever - there is a 100% likelyhood of locking up.
>>
>> The problem is worse now that I have a video capture device (Plextor USB video
>> converter) and am trying to convert old home movies to DVD.
>>
>> Sometimes the movie plays for half an hour, but as soon as I do something, like
>> resize the window, or start and stop - ZAP! GONE!
>>
>> And it takes the reset switch to recover - nothing else works... no keys,
>> nothing.
>>
>> And any video player or editing package will do it.
>>
>> I'm getting tired of scandisk.... any ideas?
>>
>> Intel MB 845, P4, 2.4ghz, MS XtraPathetic Home SP2, 512m.
>>

>Several possibilities, hard to tell with no error codes. here are some
>of the more likely causes.

sometimes it told me I had a problem with something... ATI blah blah DLL or
something... I updated the video drivers a while back... still does it now
and then.

>A quick search of Intel's site shows 3 MB with the number 845 in the
>designation, 2 of them support the Pentium4 and one of those 2 come with
>onboard video.
>
>1) If your motherboard has an integrated video card enabled, Buy a real
>video card (AGP) and disable the onboard one in the bios, If you have
>already done this or have been running an AGP card all along then,

It has no onboard video - I forgot to mention it's a Sapphire ATI 7000 series
AGP 4x. cheap card!

>2) Power supply is too small. I tend to favor this one because you say
>it has become worse since adding another device.

maybe - but that device is external USB and has a power plug... but this clone
could have bad hardware... I had to replace the IDE cables for faster ones since
it came with low speed **** that couldn't even do video transfer!

hmmmm I have a HD drawer, and adding another HD doesn't cause a crash... it's
not in now and that takes a lot of power... might not be the case supply.

I suspect the video card... but it's hard to buy a 4X these days!

Maybe I should get the BIOS updated?

>HTH

Om_Audio

So buy an 8x - it will simply run at 4x
I have a 8x I run on a BX chipset which only runs 2x and never had a prob.
Nvidia card.
Heat issues? Is the video card fan still working?
Also- it is quite significant if you say you got a driver error related to
the ATI graphics- remove it all entirely and install a cheap PCI or AGP
card- or nicer one if you can return it (in the event the problem persists)

BIOS- well sure- never a bad idea if there are BIOS updates go for it- it
will also set the graphics aperture to 64Mb or 128Mb- you usually set it to
some ratio of either the graphics RAM or system RAM- someone help me out
with that one.

Also- cheap power supplies are bad regardless- I got a nice 400W Antec and I
think it's worth the $100 I spent. I have every slot maxed and 4 drives,
firewire/usb card w 2 drives and much more- extra case fans- but I am sure
my PS is adequate. Computer troubleshooting is very often deductive- and
sometimes what you are *sure* is not the problem actually is.

Take care,

Om

news:(E-Mail Removed)...