Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Purchasing A 200gb SATA Drive

Reply
Thread Tools

Purchasing A 200gb SATA Drive

 
 
dunk_y2001
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2005

Hi, im just about to buy myself a new hard disk, after running out o
space on my 2X10gb hdds and 1x20gb hdd! lol

Im getting one of these..

'Western Digital 200gb Caviar SATA Drive' (http://tinyurl.com/48lx2)

The only reason Im getting it form that site is because I work ther
and get a pleasant staff discount.

My problem is.... I am torn as to how to configure it. Do I have it a
my OS drive and install all my games and software to it aswell. Or do
use it as a storage drive for games and software, but losing the spee
for windows. Or do I stick a 20-40gb partition in it to install window
to? I obviously want my data as secure as possible but want the spee
too....

Help me choose.

Cheers
Dun

--
dunk_y200

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
dunk_y2001's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=320
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=82051

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2005
dunk_y2001 wrote:
> Hi, im just about to buy myself a new hard disk, after running out of
> space on my 2X10gb hdds and 1x20gb hdd! lol
>
> Im getting one of these..
>
> 'Western Digital 200gb Caviar SATA Drive' (http://tinyurl.com/48lx2)
>
> The only reason Im getting it form that site is because I work there
> and get a pleasant staff discount.
>
> My problem is.... I am torn as to how to configure it. Do I have it as
> my OS drive and install all my games and software to it aswell. Or do I
> use it as a storage drive for games and software, but losing the speed
> for windows. Or do I stick a 20-40gb partition in it to install windows
> to? I obviously want my data as secure as possible but want the speed
> too....
>
> Help me choose.
>
> Cheers
> Dunk
>
>


You work for Western Digital and need to ask outside the office to get
an answer?

--
I'm losing confidence.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2005

"dunk_y2001" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> Hi, im just about to buy myself a new hard disk, after running out of
> space on my 2X10gb hdds and 1x20gb hdd! lol
>
> Im getting one of these..
>
> 'Western Digital 200gb Caviar SATA Drive' (http://tinyurl.com/48lx2)
>
> The only reason Im getting it form that site is because I work there
> and get a pleasant staff discount.
>
> My problem is.... I am torn as to how to configure it. Do I have it as
> my OS drive and install all my games and software to it aswell. Or do I
> use it as a storage drive for games and software, but losing the speed
> for windows. Or do I stick a 20-40gb partition in it to install windows
> to? I obviously want my data as secure as possible but want the speed
> too....


partition it.
1. windows
2.storage
3. (if wished for back-up etc.)

>
> Help me choose.
>
> Cheers
> Dunk
>
>
> --
> dunk_y2001
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> dunk_y2001's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=3201
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=820510
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
dunk_y2001
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2005

you don't think that will cause speed or reliability issues? Just to b
sure :

--
dunk_y200

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
dunk_y2001's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=320
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=82051

 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2005

"dunk_y2001" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> you don't think that will cause speed or reliability issues? Just to be
> sure
>


no.

>
> --
> dunk_y2001
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> dunk_y2001's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=3201
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=820510
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
doS
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-24-2005
The sata drive wont be any faster than your IDE in most cases.

"dunk_y2001" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> you don't think that will cause speed or reliability issues? Just to be
> sure
>
>
> --
> dunk_y2001
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> dunk_y2001's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=3201
> View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=820510
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cloning so a SATA drive, boting form a SATA drive? R. Giggs. Computer Information 26 11-08-2012 06:54 AM
Anyone seen a 2.5" 7200RPM SATA hard drive at a capacity greater than 200GB? Spin Computer Support 4 03-16-2008 07:20 AM
WIN a 200GB SATA DRIVE!! m1k30rz The Lounge 380 11-15-2005 09:50 PM
Re: Installing a 200GB drive without Service Packs Les Clinton Computer Support 0 03-20-2005 05:19 AM
Why won't my Sata 200gb seagate work !! Loupole NZ Computing 3 11-14-2004 07:01 AM



Advertisments