Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB 2 Card Reader Problem

USB 2 Card Reader Problem

Chris

I've just bought a USB 2 card reader. As my motherboard only has USB
1 built-in, I got a USB 2 PCI card (Ali chipset). The card seems OK -
at least, I can plug my digital camera into it and transfer files -
but when I plug the card reader in, I get this message:
'USB Device not recognised. One of the USB devices attached to this
computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.'

However, if I attach it to a USB 1 port, the card reader works fine
but, of course, slowly!

Does this suggest a problem with the card reader, or the PCI card
(I've heard that Ali chipsets can be problematical)? Is it worth
trying a PCI card with a different chipset (maybe NEC), or should I
just RMA the card reader?

My OS is XP Pro, SP1.

Grateful for any advice!

Chris.

gcc

Sounds like you need to to the Makers website and get their Updated 2.0
Drivers....

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just bought a USB 2 card reader. As my motherboard only has USB
> 1 built-in, I got a USB 2 PCI card (Ali chipset). The card seems OK -
> at least, I can plug my digital camera into it and transfer files -
> but when I plug the card reader in, I get this message:
> 'USB Device not recognised. One of the USB devices attached to this
> computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.'
>
> However, if I attach it to a USB 1 port, the card reader works fine
> but, of course, slowly!
>
> Does this suggest a problem with the card reader, or the PCI card
> (I've heard that Ali chipsets can be problematical)? Is it worth
> trying a PCI card with a different chipset (maybe NEC), or should I
> just RMA the card reader?
>
> My OS is XP Pro, SP1.
>
> Grateful for any advice!
>
> Chris.

doS

if it works in USB 1 it isnt the reader.Get an NEC chipset card.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...