Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > anyone else's firefox not blocking some popups?

anyone else's firefox not blocking some popups?

Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black

I've used it since it was out, never had a popup at all until the
last couple of days. Try this page and let me know what if anything
can be done about it please, www.drudgereport.com

elaich

"Kirby \"Does it Hurt?\" Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> www.drudgereport.com

Mine blocks it there OK, but I do have popups appear on rare occasions. Who
knows?

Neil

"Kirby "Does it Hurt?" Black" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've used it since it was out, never had a popup at all until the
> last couple of days. Try this page and let me know what if anything
> can be done about it please, www.drudgereport.com

No popup, Firefox 1.0
Mine is fairly standard (no extensions that reference popups) not many
changes to user files either, my user.js is as follows:

// Reveal more tab/window options:
user_pref("browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs" , true);
//
/* Force New Windows Restrictions
0: Default - Divert *all* new windows to current tab/window or new tab
1: Don't divert *any* windows spawned by JS
2: Don't divert JS windows that include size/placement/toolbar info */
user_pref("browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction ", 2);
//
// More DOM/JavaScript options
// Make sure all pop-up windows are resizable:
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.resizab le", true);
// Make sure all pop-up windows are minimizable:
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.minimiz able", true);
// Always display the menu in pop-up windows:
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.menubar ", true);
// Always display the Navigation Toolbar in pop-up windows:
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.locatio n", true);
// Prevent sites from disabling scrollbars:
user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.scrollb ars", true);
//
// Put an end to blinking text!
user_pref("browser.blink_allowed", false);

Check with the forums
http://shorterlink.com/?73WU5F

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:14:21 -0600, "Kirby \"Does it Hurt?\" Black"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> I've used it since it was out, never had a popup at all until the
|> last couple of days. Try this page and let me know what if anything
|> can be done about it please, www.drudgereport.com

Related?
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...0143223&tid=95

Saw this one coming, not the ads but Firefox start to have some of the
problems IE does.

I just let the sheep switch over to Firefox and sit back with Opera and
watch )

FWIW www.drudgereport.com is my homepage, I use a HOSTS file and get no
ads, so no chance of getting a pop-up.

--
http://www.local6.com/news/4215837/detail.html

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:18:22 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

|> Related?
|> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...0143223&tid=95

P.S.

I read the links from this page and found this, that you might find of
interest.

http://www.macfixit.com/
I don't see the new pop-unders on the Drudge Report [Ed.- One of the
sites implicated for increased pop-unders in our initial report] any
more. The way these things work is that they're set to open an ad when
you leave the site by clicking on a link. So I right-click on the link I
want, copy the URL, and paste it in the address bar. It's a bit kludgey,
but it works like a charm."

But as I mention'd I don't have a problem with the site (Opera or HOSTS
file?).

trout

Kirby "Does it Hurt?" Black wrote:

> I've used it since it was out, never had a popup at all until the
> last couple of days. Try this page and let me know what if anything
> can be done about it please, www.drudgereport.com

Nothing here. I'm assuming it's Adblock. One 'must-have' extension.
--
"Adstream(s)? No thanks."

elaich

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:4222885b.84860156
@News.Individual.NET:

> Saw this one coming, not the ads but Firefox start to have some of the
> problems IE does.
>
> I just let the sheep switch over to Firefox and sit back with Opera and
> watch )

I guarantee you it will be fixed quickly, which is one thing that IE and
Opera users can NOT count on. This "sheep" knows a good thing when he sees
it. I tried Opera more than once, and it's pure unadulterated crap. I'm
glad it works for you.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On 22 Feb 2005 16:04:11 GMT, elaich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:4222885b.84860156
|> @News.Individual.NET:
|>
|> > Saw this one coming, not the ads but Firefox start to have some of the
|> > problems IE does.
|> >
|> > I just let the sheep switch over to Firefox and sit back with Opera and
|> > watch )
|>
|> I guarantee you it will be fixed quickly, which is one thing that IE and
|> Opera users can NOT count on.

it doesn't affect Opera, if ad blocking is on.

|> This "sheep" knows a good thing when he sees
|> it. I tried Opera more than once, and it's pure unadulterated crap. I'm
|> glad it works for you.

I just ment the problems follow the crowd.

Strange you see Opera as junk, unless your referring to it's e-mailer
which I think sucks, but it sure scare'd Microsoft.

Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kirby "Does it Hurt?" Black wrote:
>
>> I've used it since it was out, never had a popup at all until the
>> last couple of days. Try this page and let me know what if
>> anything
>> can be done about it please, www.drudgereport.com

> Nothing here. I'm assuming it's Adblock. One 'must-have'
> extension.
> --
> "Adstream(s)? No thanks."

Wow, i'm gettin that right now! Thanks! I used to use something
similar on IE, free, and it
worked very well.

Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 22 Feb 2005 16:04:11 GMT, elaich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |> (E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:4222885b.84860156
> |> @News.Individual.NET:

> some of the

> Opera and
> |>
> |> I guarantee you it will be fixed quickly, which is one thing
> that IE and
> |> Opera users can NOT count on.
>
> it doesn't affect Opera, if ad blocking is on.
>
> |> This "sheep" knows a good thing when he sees
> |> it. I tried Opera more than once, and it's pure unadulterated
> crap. I'm
> |> glad it works for you.
>
> I just ment the problems follow the crowd.
>
> Strange you see Opera as junk, unless your referring to it's
> e-mailer
> which I think sucks, but it sure scare'd Microsoft.
> http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/7952.htm
>

> --

Thanks. I've used Opera a few times too, uninstalled it, reinstalled
it. I've limited use with it, but it seems
just too "busy" even looking at it, for me anyway.