Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Firewire drive for Mac/PC- how to best format?

Firewire drive for Mac/PC- how to best format?

Om_Audio

Firewire drive for Mac/PC- how to best format?
I will be buying a Firewire hard drive and need to know best way to format
for use under OS X and Windows XP. I found the following thread in
reference- any info appresiated.

Firewire drive for Mac/PC- how to best format?

Om

Rick Blythin

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Om_Audio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Firewire drive for Mac/PC- how to best format?
> I will be buying a Firewire hard drive and need to know best way to format
> for use under OS X and Windows XP. I found the following thread in
> reference- any info appresiated.
>
> Firewire drive for Mac/PC- how to best format?
>
> Om

It depends on whether you want to partition the drive or not. If you
want to keep it as a single drive then you'll have to format it as
FAT32. Note that under Windows XP it will only format up to 30 GB.

I recently bought a usb/firewire enclosure for a 120 GB drive. I split
it into two partitions under XP. I formatted one NTFS. I left the other
unformatted then hooked it up to my Powerbook running Panther and
formatted the remaining partition to the native OS X system file. The
drive runs fine on both systems.

Rick

Om_Audio

Thanks- but I was referring to Mac "extended" and the other one called
"journaled" - are you familiar with these?

BTW- I have learned this evening that although the drives I bought were a
good price they surely are not worth it as they have the "Prolific PL3507"
chipset in them. Very odd behaviors right out of the box and I will be
returning them tomorrow and spending quite a bit more on the LaCie drives
with Oxford chips. Way too many negative comments on the web and far too
little support. Buyer beware!

Thanks,

Om

news:(E-Mail Removed)...