Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > installing hd western digital

Reply
Thread Tools

installing hd western digital

 
 
DRVNGUY
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-18-2005
I just purchased a 160 gig hd 7200 8mb cache drive ,IDE
After installing it the system only reads it as 130 gig ?...is there
somthing missing or does a drive that big have to be partitioned ?.thanks


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
JonH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-18-2005
If your using winXP you need service pack 1 to recognize drives over 127.5
GB.
Your mother board bios also needs to be able to use 48 bit LBA.

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
www.hildrum.com
"DRVNGUY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just purchased a 160 gig hd 7200 8mb cache drive ,IDE
> After installing it the system only reads it as 130 gig ?...is there
> somthing missing or does a drive that big have to be partitioned ?.thanks
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
DRVNGUY
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-18-2005
Ok <1st answer is ok about the sp1 ,but the motherboard i am unsure if it is
....48 bit lba
"JonH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If your using winXP you need service pack 1 to recognize drives over 127.5
> GB.
> Your mother board bios also needs to be able to use 48 bit LBA.
>
> --
> Jon Hildrum
> DTS MVP
> (E-Mail Removed)
> www.hildrum.com
> "DRVNGUY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I just purchased a 160 gig hd 7200 8mb cache drive ,IDE
>> After installing it the system only reads it as 130 gig ?...is there
>> somthing missing or does a drive that big have to be partitioned ?.thanks
>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
niceguy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-18-2005
Use their install s/w.

"DRVNGUY" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just purchased a 160 gig hd 7200 8mb cache drive ,IDE
> After installing it the system only reads it as 130 gig ?...is there
> somthing missing or does a drive that big have to be partitioned ?.thanks
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD Hard Drive Review at XYZ Computing Silverstrand Front Page News 0 02-25-2006 10:16 PM
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250 GB Hard Drive Review at XYZ Computing Silverstrand Front Page News 0 11-24-2005 06:28 AM
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD4000KD 400GB SATA Hard Drive Silverstrand Front Page News 0 11-12-2005 06:17 PM
Western Digital Caviar RE SATA 320 GB Hard Drive Review Silverstrand Front Page News 0 09-16-2005 09:45 PM
installing hd western digital DRVNGUY Computer Support 0 02-18-2005 12:30 PM



Advertisments