Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > partitions

partitions

Molecule

I always partition my hdd ( os and docs ), but read in a few newsgroup that
people dedicate a partition for programs. Thought all programs need to be
installed in c together with the OS? Do they work ok if installed in another
partition?
Many thanks

PJB

"Molecule" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HC7Rd.117275$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> I always partition my hdd ( os and docs ), but read in a few newsgroup

that
> people dedicate a partition for programs. Thought all programs need to be
> installed in c together with the OS? Do they work ok if installed in

another
> partition?
> Many thanks

it all depends on your own feelings. I've done as suggested, in the past,
but since you usually have to re-install progs after the os, it didn't make
sense to have them on different partitions.
Some progs do use C for their temp storage, early versions of Office did
that, mostly nowadays they will install where you tell them to
One thing I do do though, I have a small partition at the end of the drive,
for the swapfile.

P.

jda^fx

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:01:27 GMT, "Molecule" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I always partition my hdd ( os and docs ), but read in a few newsgroup that
>people dedicate a partition for programs. Thought all programs need to be
>installed in c together with the OS? Do they work ok if installed in another
>partition?
>Many thanks

Wether you wan't programs and os on different partitions or not is a
matter of taste. Most important is it to keep data seperate. Some says
that to many partitions on the same disk tends to slow things down,
and I don't see the big thing about doing it. But it works fine

--
jda^fx

Toolman Tim

"jda^fx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:01:27 GMT, "Molecule" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|
| >I always partition my hdd ( os and docs ), but read in a few newsgroup
that
| >people dedicate a partition for programs. Thought all programs need to be
| >installed in c together with the OS? Do they work ok if installed in
another
| >partition?
| >Many thanks
| >
| Wether you wan't programs and os on different partitions or not is a
| matter of taste. Most important is it to keep data seperate. Some says
| that to many partitions on the same disk tends to slow things down,
| and I don't see the big thing about doing it. But it works fine

Definately only a matter of preference if they are running Windows. Programs
(most of them) will not run correctly if Windows is erased/reinstalled, and
will have to be reinstalled as well. So IMO, the only advantage might be for
some of the poorly written programs which keep their data/settings in the
same location as the program itself.

niceguy

yes

"Molecule" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HC7Rd.117275$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>I always partition my hdd ( os and docs ), but read in a few newsgroup that
> people dedicate a partition for programs. Thought all programs need to be
> installed in c together with the OS? Do they work ok if installed in
> another
> partition?
> Many thanks

Plato

Molecule wrote:

> I always partition my hdd ( os and docs ), but read in a few newsgroup that
> people dedicate a partition for programs. Thought all programs need to be
> installed in c together with the OS? Do they work ok if installed in another
> partition?

Yes. They dont have to be on C:

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Star@*.*.invalid

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:09:58 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"jda^fx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>| On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:01:27 GMT, "Molecule" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>|
>| >I always partition my hdd ( os and docs ), but read in a few newsgroup
>that
>| >people dedicate a partition for programs. Thought all programs need to be
>| >installed in c together with the OS? Do they work ok if installed in
>another
>| >partition?
>| >Many thanks
>| >
>| Wether you wan't programs and os on different partitions or not is a
>| matter of taste. Most important is it to keep data seperate. Some says
>| that to many partitions on the same disk tends to slow things down,
>| and I don't see the big thing about doing it. But it works fine
>|
>Definately only a matter of preference if they are running Windows. Programs
>(most of them) will not run correctly if Windows is erased/reinstalled, and
>will have to be reinstalled as well. So IMO, the only advantage might be for
>some of the poorly written programs which keep their data/settings in the
>same location as the program itself.

Boo, Hiss,
"poorly written programs which keep their data/settings in the same
location as the program itself."
I really love my Newsreader and eMail program because it is all in one
place. Just burn the folder to CD, take to another machine, copy folder,
make shortcut to .exc and I have everything ready to go.
Boo, Hiss <g>

Toolman Tim

<Star@*.*.invalid> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:09:58 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
| <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|

| >"jda^fx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
| >| On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:01:27 GMT, "Molecule" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
| >|
| >that
| >another
| >| >
| >| Wether you wan't programs and os on different partitions or not is a
| >| matter of taste. Most important is it to keep data seperate. Some says
| >| that to many partitions on the same disk tends to slow things down,
| >| and I don't see the big thing about doing it. But it works fine
| >|
| >Definately only a matter of preference if they are running Windows.
Programs
| >(most of them) will not run correctly if Windows is erased/reinstalled,
and
| >will have to be reinstalled as well. So IMO, the only advantage might be
for
| >some of the poorly written programs which keep their data/settings in the
| >same location as the program itself.
| >

| Boo, Hiss,
| "poorly written programs which keep their data/settings in the same
| location as the program itself."
| I really love my Newsreader and eMail program because it is all in one
| place. Just burn the folder to CD, take to another machine, copy folder,
| make shortcut to .exc and I have everything ready to go.
| Boo, Hiss <g>

My chief complaint is using my backup software, and having to search the C:
drive for data that should be on the D: drive. Yes, I know where the files
are, but teaching that to the (to put it politely) "older" people I do
support for is nearly impossible. While I try to set up all their programs
to write data to the data partition, then they only need to backup the one
location. But idiotic things (like the WAB) have to be tracked down and
added to the list manually. And so would data from any other 'rogue'
programs (older versions of Webshots, for example).