Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Anybody know anything about satelite broadband ??

Anybody know anything about satelite broadband ??

JohnF

We're moving our business to Phoenix and the area we're going to has
no DSL or cable srevice available. I've been searching Google and
found several suppliers but want some decent info not the hype on
their sites.

Any help out there?

JohnF

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

JohnF wrote:

> We're moving our business to Phoenix and the area we're going to has
> no DSL or cable srevice available. I've been searching Google and
> found several suppliers but want some decent info not the hype on
> their sites.
>
> Any help out there?
>
> JohnF

It's a little spendy compared to DSL or cable, but it should be quite a
bit better than dialup for you. Upload speeds are about dialup speed or
a little better, download works pretty fast, maybe about 750kb. There's
a big latency issue so online gaming is the pits, but normal business
use won't have much trouble with it. Weather can be an issue too, but
Phoenix seems to have a fair amount of sunny days.

Check around to see if there are any WISPs (wireless internet service
providers) serving your area. Far and away better than satellite.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:14:00 GMT, JohnF <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|> We're moving our business to Phoenix and the area we're going to has
|> no DSL or cable srevice available. I've been searching Google and
|> found several suppliers but want some decent info not the hype on
|> their sites.

I keep messages of interest, Here's one from awhile ago:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 05:33:12 GMT, "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

The two biggies are Direcway ( from (Hughes)Direct TV) and Starband
(from Dish Network).

Both companies require you to purchase the equipment. Retail $500 to
$600 USD. With Starband you can buy a system for $100 and pay $100 a
month for the first year, $60/mo second year and $50/mo third year.
(Rounded from $99.96 etc.) Direcway has a similar program with $99.95
for 15 months.

Check out Starband at http:www.starband.com

For info on Direcway goto http://hns.getdway.com/

Starband runs about $49.95 and Direcway can run up to $99.95 per
month.

FCC requirements are that either must be installed by a certified
technician since mis-aligning the transmitter can screw up the
satellites.

Neither is mobile (as in Recreation Vehicle use) unless you have a
Inet or Motosat system. These are in the $5000 to $6000 price range.
Some folks are using the systems illegally on RV's. Starband has a
pilot program where an RV owner can become a certified installer (like
me, I am on Starband and in a 5th wheel. I have full highspeed
wherever I go. Starband won't tell up about it on their site)

Upload speed for satellite is about the same as a 56K modem. Download
is up to 10 times faster than dial-up. (average is about 50kbs up and
500kbs down)

Other options are WiFi wireless networks which require you to be in a
hot spot to use. This is not an option for a homeowner or someone in a
rural area.

Companies like SPRINT and VERIZON offer wireless internet via cell
phone connections. This is painfully slow and expensive if you use up
your minutes.

Bottom line: I have seen all of them in use. Starband and Direcway are
the best. Forget the rest.