Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > clean install?

clean install?

tomm

If a drive has become infected with viruses & spyware etc recently, will a
restore disk (to go back to factory settings) be good enough to wipe them
all out or will some nasties still lurk ?
Do I need to do a clean re-install of XP to make sure?

gcc

"tomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4214b930$0$29394$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> If a drive has become infected with viruses & spyware etc recently, will
> restore disk (to go back to factory settings) be good enough to wipe them
> all out or will some nasties still lurk ?
> Do I need to do a clean re-install of XP to make sure?

A Format will erase EVERYTHING, then do a Clean Install.....

JIM

> A Format will erase EVERYTHING, then do a Clean Install.....

That's true but you can do it all in one operation, no need for a separte
formatting. The OS install disk will do it all. HOWEVER, make sure that no
program that created data files that you will want to save, have saved them
to the C: drive. I always set up such programs to save data files to another
partition. Unless your C: drive is too small a clean, formatting install
will not affect anything but the C: drive.

Jim

James

"tomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4214b930$0$29394$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> If a drive has become infected with viruses & spyware etc recently, will
> restore disk (to go back to factory settings) be good enough to wipe them
> all out or will some nasties still lurk ?
> Do I need to do a clean re-install of XP to make sure?

depends on the virus - much better to delete partitions with FDISK (and
FDISK /MBR) before formatting. -

Parko

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:54:10 +0000, gcc wrote:

> A Format will erase EVERYTHING

No. It just marks the files as being available to be overwritten. In any
OS.
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

Parko

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 15:33:04 +0000, tomm wrote:

> If a drive has become infected with viruses & spyware etc recently, will a
> restore disk (to go back to factory settings) be good enough to wipe them
> all out or will some nasties still lurk ?
> Do I need to do a clean re-install of XP to make sure?

To be absolutely certain, yes. Nuke the HD first. Would you put a band aid
(patch) on an infected wound and hope for the best? Your best option is to
create a drive image of a fresh install of your OS, with known good
packages and drivers installed *before* you connect to the Internet

http://dban.sourceforge.net/
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345
Knowledge is power - Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Parko

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:57:15 +0000, S.Heenan wrote:

Enough said.
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345
Knowledge is power - Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est
Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Kutloze Scheefgepoepte

Parko (E-Mail Removed), wrote in message
(E-Mail Removed):
> On Fwi, 18 Feb 2005 10:57:15 +0000, S.Heenan wwote:

> Enough said.

You know, the term "Enough said" implies of the ****ing wanker that wrote it
that they are totally incapable of spelling out that which they wished they
could convey in real terms to others, that being the vast populous. Which,
unfortunately for you, makes you a complete retard and ****ing wanker
poofter.

Oh, and you will be consigned to the list of retard nominees for the
impending award ceremony which is currently being drafted.

<aside> relic, how are you getting on with that COLA award nominee list for
best X? Add Parko will you, he's just volunteered.

--
I'm my very own Dutch stuntcock. I carry wood wherever I go.

Parko

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 04:14:50 -0800, Kutloze Scheefgepoepte wrote:

> Add Parko will you, he's just volunteered.

That's just what I was after you sad nong.
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345
"At least I have a 'coin purse' that works several times a day, regularly"

S.Heenan

Parko wrote:

> Enough said.

*Yawn*