Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Network Sharing Checkboxes

Network Sharing Checkboxes

frankg

XP (no service packs installed).

My Computer>local disk (C> right click>Sharing & Security>Network Sharing
& Security - there are 2 checkboxes - one for Share this folder on the
network, and another for Allow network users to change my files.
I have enabled both of these manually (the wizard doesn't get it done) and
then our home network can access this particular machine - it's folders and
network printer.
But everytime this computer restarts, these boxes are disabled and greyed
out and I have to set them again manually. The network cant access this
computer and we cant access the printer attached to it..
Why does it revert and how can I make the sharing stick?
All machines have a common workgroup name and individual names.

Toolman Tim

"frankg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ga2Rd.7922$(E-Mail Removed)...
| XP (no service packs installed).
|
| My Computer>local disk (C> right click>Sharing & Security>Network
Sharing
| & Security - there are 2 checkboxes - one for Share this folder on the
| network, and another for Allow network users to change my files.
| I have enabled both of these manually (the wizard doesn't get it done) and
| then our home network can access this particular machine - it's folders
and
| network printer.
| But everytime this computer restarts, these boxes are disabled and greyed
| out and I have to set them again manually. The network cant access this
| computer and we cant access the printer attached to it..
| Why does it revert and how can I make the sharing stick?
| All machines have a common workgroup name and individual names.

If you can't be bothered to install the critical service packs, I can't be
bothered to attempt to help you with your problem. G'bye.

frankg

> | XP (no service packs installed).
> |
> | My Computer>local disk (C> right click>Sharing & Security>Network
> Sharing
> | & Security - there are 2 checkboxes - one for Share this folder on the
> | network, and another for Allow network users to change my files.
> | I have enabled both of these manually (the wizard doesn't get it done)

and
> | then our home network can access this particular machine - it's folders
> and
> | network printer.
> | But everytime this computer restarts, these boxes are disabled and

greyed
> | out and I have to set them again manually. The network cant access this
> | computer and we cant access the printer attached to it..
> | Why does it revert and how can I make the sharing stick?
> | All machines have a common workgroup name and individual names.
> |
> If you can't be bothered to install the critical service packs, I can't be
> bothered to attempt to help you with your problem. G'bye.

OK
but fyi they Cant be installed - they just cant be accessed from this
machine - not through Windows Update or via turning on Auto updates.

Toolman Tim

"frankg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GtcRd.11155$(E-Mail Removed).. .

| > | XP (no service packs installed).
| > |
| > | My Computer>local disk (C> right click>Sharing & Security>Network
| > Sharing
| > | & Security - there are 2 checkboxes - one for Share this folder on the
| > | network, and another for Allow network users to change my files.
| > | I have enabled both of these manually (the wizard doesn't get it done)
| and
| > | then our home network can access this particular machine - it's
folders
| > and
| > | network printer.
| > | But everytime this computer restarts, these boxes are disabled and
| greyed
| > | out and I have to set them again manually. The network cant access
this
| > | computer and we cant access the printer attached to it..
| > | Why does it revert and how can I make the sharing stick?
| > | All machines have a common workgroup name and individual names.
| > |
| > If you can't be bothered to install the critical service packs, I can't
be
| > bothered to attempt to help you with your problem. G'bye.
| >
| OK
| but fyi they Cant be installed - they just cant be accessed from this
| machine - not through Windows Update or via turning on Auto updates.

Then your "security / sharing" issue is a little one compared to that. Don't
you think you should be working on the bigger security problem first?

frankg

> | > |
> | > Sharing

the

done)
> | and
> folders
> | > and
> | greyed
> this
> | > |
> | > If you can't be bothered to install the critical service packs, I

can't
> be
> | > bothered to attempt to help you with your problem. G'bye.
> | >
> | OK
> | but fyi they Cant be installed - they just cant be accessed from this
> | machine - not through Windows Update or via turning on Auto updates.
> |
> Then your "security / sharing" issue is a little one compared to that.

Don't
> you think you should be working on the bigger security problem first?

I've done all I can (think of ) including re-installing Win.

Toolman Tim

"frankg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dNkRd.26450$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> [...]
| > | > |
Security>Network
| the
| done)
| > | and
| > folders
| > | greyed
| > this
| > | > |
| can't
| > be
| > | >
| > | OK
| > | but fyi they Cant be installed - they just cant be accessed from this
| > | machine - not through Windows Update or via turning on Auto updates.
| > |
| > Then your "security / sharing" issue is a little one compared to that.
| Don't
| > you think you should be working on the bigger security problem first?
| > |

| I've done all I can (think of ) including re-installing Win.

That *is* weird. It is possible to get the security updates from the
download sites. Let me see...it was something about network administrators
being able to download them to their local server so users without Internet
can be updated...yup--this should get you started. XP's service pack 2 is
the first thing to do.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...en/default.asp or
the SP2 download page:

if that link is 'broken', use this: http://makeashorterlink.com/?M14622329

frankg

> | > | > |
> Security>Network

on
> | the
> | done)
> | > folders

and
> access
> | > this
> | > | > |
> | can't
> | > be

this
> | > |
> | > Then your "security / sharing" issue is a little one compared to that.
> | Don't
> | > you think you should be working on the bigger security problem first?
> | > |

> | I've done all I can (think of ) including re-installing Win.
> |
> That *is* weird. It is possible to get the security updates from the
> download sites. Let me see...it was something about network administrators
> being able to download them to their local server so users without

Internet
> can be updated...yup--this should get you started. XP's service pack 2 is
> the first thing to do.
>
> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.co...en/default.asp or
> the SP2 download page:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...dbe-3b8e-4f30-
8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en

> if that link is 'broken', use this: http://makeashorterlink.com/?M14622329

Thanks. I'm onto it.

frankg

thanks for the direct links to sp1 to help circumvent the inability to use
windows update - it worked.

news:0TuRd.1174$(E-Mail Removed)...