Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > AVG 7 and now things are sluggish

AVG 7 and now things are sluggish

Daave

I'm running Windows 98 SE on a machine with 128 MB of RAM. I've never
had problems with AVG 6, but ever since I installed AVG 7, things have
been kooky. First, it affected my e-mail. I use OE, and nothing would
happen. I got the following message:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes
for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
inactivity. Account: '(E-Mail Removed) Mail Account', Server:
'127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Port: 9999, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:
0x800CCC0F

BTW, I'm also running Zone Alarm and K9. I follwed the suggestions (and
had to modify them a bit) I found at
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/re...58,1705,page=2 .

So I can now receive and send e-mail, but it appears that AVG is no
longer scanning the e-mails. Also the system locks up about 33% of the
time. My most recent message was a fatal exception error:

.... occurred at 0028:C16FCCFB in VXD WSOCK2(01) + 0000373B

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Dave

Tony Meyer

Have you configured the e-mail scanner on AVG 7? You need to bring up the
properties and set it up for LAN or Dial up, and set up the servers, as it
needs to know where to look to scan the e-mails. I have found in most cases
automatic host doesn't work and they need to be set up as pop3 and
SMTP.ISP.co.nz (or whatever and wherever the ISP is)

--
Tony Meyer

"Daave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:enTQd.2955$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> I'm running Windows 98 SE on a machine with 128 MB of RAM. I've never
> had problems with AVG 6, but ever since I installed AVG 7, things have
> been kooky. First, it affected my e-mail. I use OE, and nothing would
> happen. I got the following message:
>
> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes
> for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> inactivity. Account: '(E-Mail Removed) Mail Account', Server:
> '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Port: 9999, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC0F
>
> BTW, I'm also running Zone Alarm and K9. I follwed the suggestions (and
> had to modify them a bit) I found at
> http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/re...58,1705,page=2 .
>
> So I can now receive and send e-mail, but it appears that AVG is no
> longer scanning the e-mails. Also the system locks up about 33% of the
> time. My most recent message was a fatal exception error:
>
> ... occurred at 0028:C16FCCFB in VXD WSOCK2(01) + 0000373B
>
> Has anyone else experienced similar problems?
>
> Dave

bmast17

> Have you configured the e-mail scanner on AVG 7? You need to bring up
> the properties and set it up for LAN or Dial up, and set up the
> servers, as it needs to know where to look to scan the e-mails. I have
> found in most cases automatic host doesn't work and they need to be
> set up as pop3 and SMTP.ISP.co.nz (or whatever and wherever the ISP
> is)

and to add ... find the servers settings and DISable the outgoing server

that slows down v7 a lot .. the out checking ... it checks too much IMO
and hangs too often

I was going to bail on AVG7 free 'till I discovered that ........ now I
like it and it's been running for a month er so like it's not even there
.... just the way I like it

errrrr .. 'cept when it catches an email virus ..... then it lets ya know
it's workin - no problem