Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows 2000 startup taking MUCH longer than I remember

Reply
Thread Tools

Windows 2000 startup taking MUCH longer than I remember

 
 
McAdam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
First, the basics:

- 550 Mhz computer
- 512 meg RAM
- Win2k Professional
- broadband connection, one laptop connected to cable input via
wireless router
- no known significant changes to hardware or software in past week

My Windows 2000 computer seems to be taking much longer to start than
I ever remember before. In fact, I never before noticed its startup
time because it was always acceptably quick, probably under two
minutes from the appearance of the Windows 2000 screen until the
computer would start taking input from me.

I have run NAV, Ad-Aware, and Spybot, all with updated definitiions
files (in fact, Spybot's file was minutes old, dated today, when I ran
it) and all give my machine a clean bill of health.

When I start the computer now, it goes through the Windows 2000 screen
as quickly as I'd expect (never bothered to time it). But the worst
two parts of the startup are:

1. "preparing network connections" - I'm guessing that this used to
take perhaps 5-10 seconds tops. I just timed it when I restarted my
computer and it took 75 seconds.

2. The login screen - I just have the computer automatically log me in
as administrator. Normally, the login screen races by in a second or
less, so fast that it's tough to see. I timed it today and it took 25
seconds.

What's wrong with the computer?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
McAdam wrote:
> First, the basics:
>
> - 550 Mhz computer
> - 512 meg RAM
> - Win2k Professional
> - broadband connection, one laptop connected to cable input via
> wireless router
> - no known significant changes to hardware or software in past week
>
> My Windows 2000 computer seems to be taking much longer to start than
> I ever remember before. In fact, I never before noticed its startup
> time because it was always acceptably quick, probably under two
> minutes from the appearance of the Windows 2000 screen until the
> computer would start taking input from me.
>
> I have run NAV, Ad-Aware, and Spybot, all with updated definitiions
> files (in fact, Spybot's file was minutes old, dated today, when I ran
> it) and all give my machine a clean bill of health.
>
> When I start the computer now, it goes through the Windows 2000 screen
> as quickly as I'd expect (never bothered to time it). But the worst
> two parts of the startup are:
>
> 1. "preparing network connections" - I'm guessing that this used to
> take perhaps 5-10 seconds tops. I just timed it when I restarted my
> computer and it took 75 seconds.
>
> 2. The login screen - I just have the computer automatically log me in
> as administrator. Normally, the login screen races by in a second or
> less, so fast that it's tough to see. I timed it today and it took 25
> seconds.
>
> What's wrong with the computer?


Try some maintenance.
Defrag
Chkdsk
Boottime defrag
Defrag the MFT
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Holmes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
McAdam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> First, the basics:


zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...


>
> What's wrong with the computer?
>


Your computer is slow. Any further questions?

--
- John Holmes -

"Just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die."

 
Reply With Quote
 
McAdam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
I found my problem. I had recently replaced the default single-line
hosts file with a huge one (the idea being to block web access to
certain sites I didn't want the kids visiting).

I renamed my mongo-hosts file and restored the original one, and my
startup times returned to normal.
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
McAdam wrote:

> I found my problem. I had recently replaced the default single-line
> hosts file with a huge one (the idea being to block web access to
> certain sites I didn't want the kids visiting).
>
> I renamed my mongo-hosts file and restored the original one, and my
> startup times returned to normal.


I have a hosts file that contains over 13,000 entries and it takes W2K
under a minute to load.
 
Reply With Quote
 
McAdam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:33:21 GMT, Brian H¹©
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>McAdam wrote:
>
>> I found my problem. I had recently replaced the default single-line
>> hosts file with a huge one (the idea being to block web access to
>> certain sites I didn't want the kids visiting).
>>
>> I renamed my mongo-hosts file and restored the original one, and my
>> startup times returned to normal.

>
>I have a hosts file that contains over 13,000 entries and it takes W2K
>under a minute to load.


Mine has a bit over 12,000 entries. I have a normally-functioning
cable internet connection; maybe my 550 MHz processor is the weak
link?

You suggested the following before:

Defrag
Chkdsk
Boottime defrag
Defrag the MFT

Could you please explain how to do a boottime defrag and an MFT
defrag? Chkdsk did find and repair some things, but it flashed on the
screen too fast for me to read what.
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
McAdam wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 19:33:21 GMT, Brian H¹©
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>McAdam wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I found my problem. I had recently replaced the default single-line
>>>hosts file with a huge one (the idea being to block web access to
>>>certain sites I didn't want the kids visiting).
>>>
>>>I renamed my mongo-hosts file and restored the original one, and my
>>>startup times returned to normal.

>>
>>I have a hosts file that contains over 13,000 entries and it takes W2K
>>under a minute to load.

>
>
> Mine has a bit over 12,000 entries. I have a normally-functioning
> cable internet connection; maybe my 550 MHz processor is the weak
> link?
>
> You suggested the following before:
>
> Defrag
> Chkdsk
> Boottime defrag
> Defrag the MFT
>
> Could you please explain how to do a boottime defrag and an MFT
> defrag? Chkdsk did find and repair some things, but it flashed on the
> screen too fast for me to read what.


You would need to buy something like Diskeeper, as the basic defrag that
comes with the OS is only a lite version.
I tried VoptXP but found Diskeeper to be faster.

Having a faster processor would certainly make a difference though
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Leach
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
What and where is the hosts file???

"McAdam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I found my problem. I had recently replaced the default single-line
> hosts file with a huge one (the idea being to block web access to
> certain sites I didn't want the kids visiting).
>
> I renamed my mongo-hosts file and restored the original one, and my
> startup times returned to normal.



 
Reply With Quote
 
niceguy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2005
Click Start / Run / and then type into the Run: box "MSCONFIG" (without the
"")

This will load the System Configuration Utility

The first thing you should do is concentrate on the startup tab rather than
the autoexec and config files/sections of the utility. The autoexec.bat and
config.sys aspects of the System Configuration Utility will be dealt with in
another tutorial

Click on the Startup tab

In the white pane you will see all the programs that load every time you
turn on your computer

This is how you can stop programs from loading at startup :

To stop programs from loading at startup firstly choose which programs you
would like to keep loading at startup, and which you wouldn't

Secondly, you will need to understand the following 4 important points :

1) Whatever you choose to not load at startup will NOT effect whether you
can use this program or not. The program will run as normal for you but will
NOT load at startup. The most obvious sign of a program loading at startup
would be a small icon next to the clock on your desktop. By choosing to not
have it load at startup you will still be able to use the program, but the
icon next to the clock will not be there.

2) The following programs you MUST NOT stop from loading at startup as they
are needed by Windows :

a.. ScanRegistry
b.. LoadPowerProfile (there will be 2 occurrences of this and it is
normal)
c.. Systray
d.. Avoid disabling your Antivirus loading at startup (unless you know
what you're doing), so avoid Norton, McAfee, InoculateIT program items
(depending on the Antivirus software you use)
e.. Avoid disabling any software Firewall you may be using such as Zone
Alarm (unless you know what you're doing)
NOTE: LoadPowerProfile - LoadPowerProfile is Power management specifics such
as monitor shut-off, system standby, etc. Associated with power management
and is listed twice. This can be disabled if the user doesn't have any of
the above setup.

3) If you stop a program from loading at startup and at a later date decide
you would like to have it load at startup again repeat the following process
but instead of removing the tick next to the programs name ADD it.

4) If you're not sure what a program is that is listed do NOT disable it.
Ask on our support forums and we will help you to find out what it is and
what it is used for. Or alternatively this is a great link to a whole
listing of programs you might find under the Startup tab and what they do -
click here

Once you're happy that you understand the above 4 points -

Find a program you don't want to load at startup and remove the tick from
besides it's name

To confirm what you've done click Apply

Once you have disabled all that you would like to disable click Apply then
OK and Windows will ask you to restart your PC

Your PC will reboot as normal and once Windows has fully loaded recheck your
system resources like you did earlier on in this tutorial. You should see
that you System Resources are now quite a bit higher.

"McAdam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> First, the basics:
>
> - 550 Mhz computer
> - 512 meg RAM
> - Win2k Professional
> - broadband connection, one laptop connected to cable input via
> wireless router
> - no known significant changes to hardware or software in past week
>
> My Windows 2000 computer seems to be taking much longer to start than
> I ever remember before. In fact, I never before noticed its startup
> time because it was always acceptably quick, probably under two
> minutes from the appearance of the Windows 2000 screen until the
> computer would start taking input from me.
>
> I have run NAV, Ad-Aware, and Spybot, all with updated definitiions
> files (in fact, Spybot's file was minutes old, dated today, when I ran
> it) and all give my machine a clean bill of health.
>
> When I start the computer now, it goes through the Windows 2000 screen
> as quickly as I'd expect (never bothered to time it). But the worst
> two parts of the startup are:
>
> 1. "preparing network connections" - I'm guessing that this used to
> take perhaps 5-10 seconds tops. I just timed it when I restarted my
> computer and it took 75 seconds.
>
> 2. The login screen - I just have the computer automatically log me in
> as administrator. Normally, the login screen races by in a second or
> less, so fast that it's tough to see. I timed it today and it took 25
> seconds.
>
> What's wrong with the computer?



 
Reply With Quote
 
chuckie®
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2005
Win2000 does not have 'msconfig'...FYI...

"niceguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:g5RQd.4664$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Click Start / Run / and then type into the Run: box "MSCONFIG" (without

the
> "")
>
> This will load the System Configuration Utility
>
> The first thing you should do is concentrate on the startup tab rather

than
> the autoexec and config files/sections of the utility. The autoexec.bat

and
> config.sys aspects of the System Configuration Utility will be dealt with

in
> another tutorial
>
> Click on the Startup tab
>
> In the white pane you will see all the programs that load every time you
> turn on your computer
>
> This is how you can stop programs from loading at startup :
>
> To stop programs from loading at startup firstly choose which programs you
> would like to keep loading at startup, and which you wouldn't
>
> Secondly, you will need to understand the following 4 important points :
>
> 1) Whatever you choose to not load at startup will NOT effect whether you
> can use this program or not. The program will run as normal for you but

will
> NOT load at startup. The most obvious sign of a program loading at startup
> would be a small icon next to the clock on your desktop. By choosing to

not
> have it load at startup you will still be able to use the program, but the
> icon next to the clock will not be there.
>
> 2) The following programs you MUST NOT stop from loading at startup as

they
> are needed by Windows :
>
> a.. ScanRegistry
> b.. LoadPowerProfile (there will be 2 occurrences of this and it is
> normal)
> c.. Systray
> d.. Avoid disabling your Antivirus loading at startup (unless you know
> what you're doing), so avoid Norton, McAfee, InoculateIT program items
> (depending on the Antivirus software you use)
> e.. Avoid disabling any software Firewall you may be using such as Zone
> Alarm (unless you know what you're doing)
> NOTE: LoadPowerProfile - LoadPowerProfile is Power management specifics

such
> as monitor shut-off, system standby, etc. Associated with power management
> and is listed twice. This can be disabled if the user doesn't have any of
> the above setup.
>
> 3) If you stop a program from loading at startup and at a later date

decide
> you would like to have it load at startup again repeat the following

process
> but instead of removing the tick next to the programs name ADD it.
>
> 4) If you're not sure what a program is that is listed do NOT disable it.
> Ask on our support forums and we will help you to find out what it is and
> what it is used for. Or alternatively this is a great link to a whole
> listing of programs you might find under the Startup tab and what they

do -
> click here
>
> Once you're happy that you understand the above 4 points -
>
> Find a program you don't want to load at startup and remove the tick from
> besides it's name
>
> To confirm what you've done click Apply
>
> Once you have disabled all that you would like to disable click Apply then
> OK and Windows will ask you to restart your PC
>
> Your PC will reboot as normal and once Windows has fully loaded recheck

your
> system resources like you did earlier on in this tutorial. You should see
> that you System Resources are now quite a bit higher.
>
> "McAdam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > First, the basics:
> >
> > - 550 Mhz computer
> > - 512 meg RAM
> > - Win2k Professional
> > - broadband connection, one laptop connected to cable input via
> > wireless router
> > - no known significant changes to hardware or software in past week
> >
> > My Windows 2000 computer seems to be taking much longer to start than
> > I ever remember before. In fact, I never before noticed its startup
> > time because it was always acceptably quick, probably under two
> > minutes from the appearance of the Windows 2000 screen until the
> > computer would start taking input from me.
> >
> > I have run NAV, Ad-Aware, and Spybot, all with updated definitiions
> > files (in fact, Spybot's file was minutes old, dated today, when I ran
> > it) and all give my machine a clean bill of health.
> >
> > When I start the computer now, it goes through the Windows 2000 screen
> > as quickly as I'd expect (never bothered to time it). But the worst
> > two parts of the startup are:
> >
> > 1. "preparing network connections" - I'm guessing that this used to
> > take perhaps 5-10 seconds tops. I just timed it when I restarted my
> > computer and it took 75 seconds.
> >
> > 2. The login screen - I just have the computer automatically log me in
> > as administrator. Normally, the login screen races by in a second or
> > less, so fast that it's tough to see. I timed it today and it took 25
> > seconds.
> >
> > What's wrong with the computer?

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Process.exec returning no output - command taking longer than 5 seconds the_one Java 1 03-05-2012 08:53 PM
How much longer for 2000 =?Utf-8?B?Q2FsaSBUZWNo?= MCSE 4 02-16-2006 06:35 PM
Script taking longer than expected to complete: Consequences? Colin Steadman ASP General 2 10-14-2004 07:38 AM
Programs taking longer and longer to start up. Help please. Goforit Computer Information 9 07-25-2004 06:34 AM
MCSE 2000 - Available For How Much Longer? Clint Kennedy MCSE 26 08-06-2003 10:31 PM



Advertisments