Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > networking problem???

networking problem???

The Black Laced One

I have recently networked my computer with my daughter's computer so that
we could both be connected to the internet at the same time.
We both have XP home, we are connected through a hub and my computer is
set up to be the host. We are able to share files, share the printer and we
can both connect to the internet... for a time. It seems to be fine until I
do a shutdown and restart on my computer.
This is the problem: After shutting down, my computer forgets the
settings of being the host computer. When I try to connect through my ISP,
MSN, my computer freezes and I have to manually reboot. It is also at this
time that the network icon on the task bar shows that there are "limitations
of connectivity". There is the repair option when right clicking this icon,
but it only tells me that it couldn't be repaired and that I should contact
my network administrator.
Also, after doing the shutdown, if I go into IE and look on the connection
tab, there is nothing listed under, "Dial-up and Virtual Private Networking
settings." (This has only been since networking our computers.)
The only way that I am able to resolve this problem is to connect to MSN
through the "Forgot password" option on my connection window. Once
connected through that, I can close the windows without going through the
process of changing my password. I just exit out of both windows and remain
connected to the internet.
After doing that, I then can see MSN listed in IE as the default
connection, but I have to run the networking wizard again for printer
sharing and internet access, file sharing doesn't seem to be affected. I
also have to check each box for access through the firewall for my
daughter's computer. (For local area connection 2.)
I have searched for help on this subject, but I haven't been able to find
anything specific to my problem. I'm not even sure this would be a
networking problem, because that all works fine when it's configured. It's
more a problem with my computer not retaining the settings as being the host
computer, but I don't know why that would happen or more importantly, how to
fix it.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
PJ

doS

"The Black Laced One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have recently networked my computer with my daughter's computer so

that
> we could both be connected to the internet at the same time.
> We both have XP home, we are connected through a hub

I didn't know you were married.

The Black Laced One

doS wrote:
> "The Black Laced One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have recently networked my computer with my daughter's computer
>> so that we could both be connected to the internet at the same time.
>> We both have XP home, we are connected through a hub

> I didn't know you were married.

I'm not married...
PJ

doS

"through a hub"

"The Black Laced One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> doS wrote:
> > "The Black Laced One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I have recently networked my computer with my daughter's computer
> >> so that we could both be connected to the internet at the same time.
> >> We both have XP home, we are connected through a hub

> > I didn't know you were married.

> I'm not married...
> PJ

The Black Laced One

Yeah, I got your lame joke after I sent my reply...
PJ :-p

doS wrote:
> "through a hub"
>
> "The Black Laced One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> doS wrote:
>>> "The Black Laced One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> I didn't know you were married.

>> I'm not married...
>> PJ

The Black Laced One

If anyone is interested, I have figured out the problem.
Under MSN's properties there is an option to allow other network users to
control or disable the shared internet connection. Unchecking that option
has resolved my problem.
A simple fix, but it took me most of the day to figure it out. I have now
earned the title of Network Administrator, at least on our network. lol
PJ

The Black Laced One wrote:
> I have recently networked my computer with my daughter's computer so
> that we could both be connected to the internet at the same time.
> We both have XP home, we are connected through a hub and my computer
> is set up to be the host. We are able to share files, share the
> printer and we can both connect to the internet... for a time. It
> seems to be fine until I do a shutdown and restart on my computer.
> This is the problem: After shutting down, my computer forgets the
> settings of being the host computer. When I try to connect through
> my ISP, MSN, my computer freezes and I have to manually reboot. It
> is also at this time that the network icon on the task bar shows that
> there are "limitations of connectivity". There is the repair option
> when right clicking this icon, but it only tells me that it couldn't
> be repaired and that I should contact my network administrator.
> Also, after doing the shutdown, if I go into IE and look on the
> connection tab, there is nothing listed under, "Dial-up and Virtual
> Private Networking settings." (This has only been since networking
> our computers.) The only way that I am able to resolve this problem
> is to connect to MSN through the "Forgot password" option on my
> connection window. Once connected through that, I can close the
> windows without going through the process of changing my password. I
> just exit out of both windows and remain connected to the internet.
> After doing that, I then can see MSN listed in IE as the default
> connection, but I have to run the networking wizard again for printer
> sharing and internet access, file sharing doesn't seem to be
> affected. I also have to check each box for access through the
> firewall for my daughter's computer. (For local area connection 2.)
> I have searched for help on this subject, but I haven't been able to
> find anything specific to my problem. I'm not even sure this would
> be a networking problem, because that all works fine when it's
> configured. It's more a problem with my computer not retaining the
> settings as being the host computer, but I don't know why that would
> happen or more importantly, how to fix it.
> Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
> PJ

Patz

The Black Laced One wrote:
> If anyone is interested, I have figured out the problem.
> Under MSN's properties there is an option to allow other network users to
> control or disable the shared internet connection. Unchecking that option
> has resolved my problem.
> A simple fix, but it took me most of the day to figure it out. I have now
> earned the title of Network Administrator, at least on our network. lol
> PJ
>
> The Black Laced One wrote:
>
>> I have recently networked my computer with my daughter's computer so
>>that we could both be connected to the internet at the same time.
>> We both have XP home, we are connected through a hub and my computer
>>is set up to be the host. We are able to share files, share the
>>printer and we can both connect to the internet... for a time. It
>>seems to be fine until I do a shutdown and restart on my computer.
>> This is the problem: After shutting down, my computer forgets the
>>settings of being the host computer. When I try to connect through
>>my ISP, MSN, my computer freezes and I have to manually reboot. It
>>is also at this time that the network icon on the task bar shows that
>>there are "limitations of connectivity". There is the repair option
>>when right clicking this icon, but it only tells me that it couldn't
>>be repaired and that I should contact my network administrator.
>> Also, after doing the shutdown, if I go into IE and look on the
>>connection tab, there is nothing listed under, "Dial-up and Virtual
>>Private Networking settings." (This has only been since networking
>> our computers.) The only way that I am able to resolve this problem
>>is to connect to MSN through the "Forgot password" option on my
>>connection window. Once connected through that, I can close the
>>windows without going through the process of changing my password. I
>>just exit out of both windows and remain connected to the internet.
>> After doing that, I then can see MSN listed in IE as the default
>>connection, but I have to run the networking wizard again for printer
>>sharing and internet access, file sharing doesn't seem to be
>>affected. I also have to check each box for access through the
>>firewall for my daughter's computer. (For local area connection 2.)
>> I have searched for help on this subject, but I haven't been able to
>>find anything specific to my problem. I'm not even sure this would
>>be a networking problem, because that all works fine when it's
>>configured. It's more a problem with my computer not retaining the
>>settings as being the host computer, but I don't know why that would
>>happen or more importantly, how to fix it.
>> Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
>> PJ

Hey PJ,

Thatz gr8... nice to knw something new... never thought of that stuff b4..

koolz...

doS

"The Black Laced One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If anyone is interested,

I am, you have my unperverted attention.

I have figured out the problem.

Me too, we live too far apart.Come over here.

> Under MSN's properties there is an option to allow other network users

> control or disable the shared internet connection.

I'd love to share your connection.

Unchecking that option