Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > drivers for a card reader, where?

drivers for a card reader, where?

Caroline

I have a 6in1 card reader which is supposed to be plug & play. I am using
Win98se and when I try to Install New Hardware, it prompts me for my windows
disk to install the driver. But, I can't find it! Is there a way around
it, ie download the drivers, etc? Thanks.

chuckieŽ

I dunno, maybe the card reader's web site???

"Caroline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:S7bQd.105064$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> I have a 6in1 card reader which is supposed to be plug & play. I am using
> Win98se and when I try to Install New Hardware, it prompts me for my

windows
> disk to install the driver. But, I can't find it! Is there a way around
> it, ie download the drivers, etc? Thanks.

Dataspider

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:12:34 GMT, "Caroline"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a 6in1 card reader which is supposed to be plug & play. I am using
>Win98se and when I try to Install New Hardware, it prompts me for my windows
>disk to install the driver. But, I can't find it! Is there a way around
>it, ie download the drivers, etc? Thanks.

Yeah, pay for your OS then call M$.

Caroline

Unfortunately, I threw the package away and it does not have a brand name on
it! I tried an extensive web search before posting, with no luck. The item
was a free gift with other purchases, so can't really complain - I'll just
have to have another look for my windows disk. I have a horrible feeling I
let someone else borrow it when they had a problem........ thanks anyway.

"chuckieŽ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7dbQd.7524$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I dunno, maybe the card reader's web site???
>
> "Caroline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:S7bQd.105064$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> > I have a 6in1 card reader which is supposed to be plug & play. I am

using
> > Win98se and when I try to Install New Hardware, it prompts me for my

> windows
> > disk to install the driver. But, I can't find it! Is there a way

around
> > it, ie download the drivers, etc? Thanks.

Om_Audio

I have had horrible luck installing those on Windows98- as they say all you
need are the 98 USB Mass Storage drivers- but it just does not seem to work.
I use Windows 2000 for many years now which works and XP is truly plug and
play.

Anyway- I'd look for the drivers from the OEM and go from there- hopefully
you got a name brand with some form of support for their product.

Good luck,

Om

"Caroline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:S7bQd.105064$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> I have a 6in1 card reader which is supposed to be plug & play. I am using
> Win98se and when I try to Install New Hardware, it prompts me for my

windows
> disk to install the driver. But, I can't find it! Is there a way around
> it, ie download the drivers, etc? Thanks.

Toolman Tim

Try looking in this location for your Windows files: C:\windows\options\cabs

That's a "default" location for the setup cabinet files. If they aren't
there, search your hard drive for files ending in .CAB - if you find a bunch
of them, you can browse to that location when you are prompted for the
Windows setup disk.

"Caroline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsAbQd.105166$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
| Unfortunately, I threw the package away and it does not have a brand name
on
| it! I tried an extensive web search before posting, with no luck. The
item
| was a free gift with other purchases, so can't really complain - I'll just
| have to have another look for my windows disk. I have a horrible feeling
| let someone else borrow it when they had a problem........ thanks anyway.
|
| "chuckieŽ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:7dbQd.7524$(E-Mail Removed) m...
| > I dunno, maybe the card reader's web site???
| >
| > "Caroline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:S7bQd.105064$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
| > > I have a 6in1 card reader which is supposed to be plug & play. I am
| using
| > > Win98se and when I try to Install New Hardware, it prompts me for my
| > windows
| > > disk to install the driver. But, I can't find it! Is there a way
| around
| > > it, ie download the drivers, etc? Thanks.

doS

Tim, the card readers use USB......

news:JscQd.20486$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try looking in this location for your Windows files:

C:\windows\options\cabs

> That's a "default" location for the setup cabinet files. If they aren't
> there, search your hard drive for files ending in .CAB - if you find a

bunch
> of them, you can browse to that location when you are prompted for the
> Windows setup disk.
>
> "Caroline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsAbQd.105166$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> | Unfortunately, I threw the package away and it does not have a brand

name
> on
> | it! I tried an extensive web search before posting, with no luck. The
> item
> | was a free gift with other purchases, so can't really complain - I'll

just
> | have to have another look for my windows disk. I have a horrible

feeling
> | let someone else borrow it when they had a problem........ thanks

anyway.

> | "chuckieŽ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:7dbQd.7524$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> | > I dunno, maybe the card reader's web site???
> | >
> | > "Caroline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | > news:S7bQd.105064$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> | using
> | > windows
> | around

Toolman Tim

Yes, and the OP has 98se which supports USB.

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mPcQd.10224$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Tim, the card readers use USB......
|
| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:JscQd.20486$(E-Mail Removed)...
| > Try looking in this location for your Windows files:
| C:\windows\options\cabs
| >
| > That's a "default" location for the setup cabinet files. If they aren't
| > there, search your hard drive for files ending in .CAB - if you find a
| bunch
| > of them, you can browse to that location when you are prompted for the
| > Windows setup disk.
| >
| > "Caroline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > newsAbQd.105166$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
| > | Unfortunately, I threw the package away and it does not have a brand
| name
| > on
| > | it! I tried an extensive web search before posting, with no luck.
The
| > item
| > | was a free gift with other purchases, so can't really complain - I'll
| just
| > | have to have another look for my windows disk. I have a horrible
| feeling
| > | let someone else borrow it when they had a problem........ thanks
| anyway.
| > |
| > | "chuckieŽ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > | news:7dbQd.7524$(E-Mail Removed) m...

| > | using
| > | around

| > |

doS

but, 98se should have usb drivers

news:wQcQd.20492$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, and the OP has 98se which supports USB.
>
> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:mPcQd.10224$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Tim, the card readers use USB......
> |
> | "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:JscQd.20486$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | > Try looking in this location for your Windows files:
> | C:\windows\options\cabs
> | >
> | > That's a "default" location for the setup cabinet files. If they

aren't
> | > there, search your hard drive for files ending in .CAB - if you find a
> | bunch
> | > of them, you can browse to that location when you are prompted for the
> | > Windows setup disk.
> | >
> | > "Caroline" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | > newsAbQd.105166$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> | name
> | > on
> The
> | > item

I'll
> | just
> | feeling
> | anyway.
> | > |

> am

for
> my

way

> | > |

Toolman Tim

Exactly. But the OP is missing her 98se installation CD. I was telling her
where most OEM installations copy the setup files to so that she can get the
USB drivers to install.

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ITcQd.10225$(E-Mail Removed)...
| but, 98se should have usb drivers
|
| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:wQcQd.20492$(E-Mail Removed)...
| > Yes, and the OP has 98se which supports USB.
| >
| > "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:mPcQd.10224$(E-Mail Removed)...
| > | Tim, the card readers use USB......
| > |
| > | "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > | news:JscQd.20486$(E-Mail Removed)...
| > | C:\windows\options\cabs

| aren't
| > | bunch