Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Notepad XP printing problem

Notepad XP printing problem

TTT

when trying to print in Notepad (XP) I get the following message:
"Page too small to print one line. Try printing using smaller font."

I have tried using smaller font and have tested typing one word on the page,
and even leaving it blank. I still get the same message.

Can't find anything on the net about this problem.

Assistance is much appreciated.

TTT

WormWood

"TTT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> when trying to print in Notepad (XP) I get the following message:
> "Page too small to print one line. Try printing using smaller font."
>
> I have tried using smaller font and have tested typing one word on the
> page, and even leaving it blank. I still get the same message.
>
> Can't find anything on the net about this problem.
>
> Assistance is much appreciated.
>
> TTT

Have you consulted your printer help file? Sounds like you need a
configuration adjustment.

Atlas Shrugged

Does the problem happen when you print in WordPad? Perhaps you font file
has been damaged. Do you have the problem with different fonts?

"TTT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> when trying to print in Notepad (XP) I get the following message:
> "Page too small to print one line. Try printing using smaller font."
>
> I have tried using smaller font and have tested typing one word on the
> page, and even leaving it blank. I still get the same message.
>
> Can't find anything on the net about this problem.
>
> Assistance is much appreciated.
>
> TTT

TTT

No I have tried other fonts and the same problem still
Printing is no problem in other software
strange?
"Atlas Shrugged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does the problem happen when you print in WordPad? Perhaps you font file
> has been damaged. Do you have the problem with different fonts?
>

> "TTT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> when trying to print in Notepad (XP) I get the following message:
>> "Page too small to print one line. Try printing using smaller font."
>>
>> I have tried using smaller font and have tested typing one word on the
>> page, and even leaving it blank. I still get the same message.
>>
>> Can't find anything on the net about this problem.
>>
>> Assistance is much appreciated.
>>
>> TTT

Watcher111

Just a thought, but notepad doesn't automatically go to the next line after
a full line on the screen, it keeps going to the right... maybe you need to
manually insert a few carriage returns to get what you're typing to be all
on one screen ..without scrolling to the right. It sounds like you are
exceeding the margins of the paper and the message is telling you to make it
smaller to fit on the page.

just my 2 cents

Watcher111

"TTT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> when trying to print in Notepad (XP) I get the following message:
> "Page too small to print one line. Try printing using smaller font."
>
> I have tried using smaller font and have tested typing one word on the
> page, and even leaving it blank. I still get the same message.
>
> Can't find anything on the net about this problem.
>
> Assistance is much appreciated.
>
> TTT

TTT

Thanks for the response Watcher111
i fiddled with what you suggested and still get the strange error message

"Watcher111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Just a thought, but notepad doesn't automatically go to the next line
> after a full line on the screen, it keeps going to the right... maybe you
> need to manually insert a few carriage returns to get what you're typing
> to be all on one screen ..without scrolling to the right. It sounds like
> you are exceeding the margins of the paper and the message is telling you
> to make it smaller to fit on the page.
>
> just my 2 cents
>

> Watcher111
>
> "TTT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> when trying to print in Notepad (XP) I get the following message:
>> "Page too small to print one line. Try printing using smaller font."
>>
>> I have tried using smaller font and have tested typing one word on the
>> page, and even leaving it blank. I still get the same message.
>>
>> Can't find anything on the net about this problem.
>>
>> Assistance is much appreciated.
>>
>> TTT

The Black Laced One

You should use wordpad instead of notepad. Copy what you have in notepad
and paste it into wordpad. You may have to readjust some of it, but it will
print much better from wordpad than it ever will in notepad.
PJ

TTT wrote:
> Thanks for the response Watcher111
> i fiddled with what you suggested and still get the strange error
> message
>
> "Watcher111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Just a thought, but notepad doesn't automatically go to the next line
>> after a full line on the screen, it keeps going to the right...
>> maybe you need to manually insert a few carriage returns to get what
>> you're typing to be all on one screen ..without scrolling to the
>> right. It sounds like you are exceeding the margins of the paper and
>> the message is telling you to make it smaller to fit on the page.
>>
>> just my 2 cents
>>

>> Watcher111
>>
>> "TTT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> when trying to print in Notepad (XP) I get the following message:
>>> "Page too small to print one line. Try printing using smaller font."
>>>
>>> I have tried using smaller font and have tested typing one word on
>>> the page, and even leaving it blank. I still get the same message.
>>>
>>> Can't find anything on the net about this problem.
>>>
>>> Assistance is much appreciated.
>>>
>>> TTT

Brewzinski Brewzinski is offline
Junior Member

Had the same problem with text file opened from dialog box from one program (PC Print) directly into Notepad.

Turned on Word Wrap (Format on menu bar, Word Wrap, check mark will be there next time menu is displayed) and printed without problems.

Suspected cause is text from from Unix based system. Lines may have Line Feed (LF) character at the end instead of Carriage Return/Line Feed (CR/LF) expected by PCs. Word Wrap may have added CR/LF at right edge of Notepad window. You may need to save the text file, then print.

Alternatively, you could open the file in another program (Wordpad/Word) and click on File--Save As... to fix it. You would want to save it with a new name the first time you try this. If all is well afterwards, you can overwrite the file.