Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > home networking

home networking

philio

im planning on networking a computer of the specifications below to a laptop
od the specifications below.

computer: windows ME, dial up internet, 370Mb Ram, 800Mhz clock speed, 80Gb
HDD, network card.

laptop: windows XP Home, Dial up internet, 512 Mb Ram, 3.33GHz Clock speed,
80Gb HDD, network card.

i just want to know if i can network both of these by cable as i dont want
dont want to buy any extra equipment. yes the laptop does have wireless
card, but the computer does not and i dont think its about to cope wid it as
it is almost screwed as it is. i want to share the internet conection
between these two, the files , etc...

any help apreciated.

BTW i would get broadband except NTL dont offer it in my area, and im on
real low budget on internet

Toolman Tim

"philio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:j1RPd.567$(E-Mail Removed)...
| im planning on networking a computer of the specifications below to a
laptop
| od the specifications below.
|
| computer: windows ME, dial up internet, 370Mb Ram, 800Mhz clock speed,
80Gb
| HDD, network card.
|
| laptop: windows XP Home, Dial up internet, 512 Mb Ram, 3.33GHz Clock
speed,
| 80Gb HDD, network card.
|
| i just want to know if i can network both of these by cable as i dont want
| dont want to buy any extra equipment. yes the laptop does have wireless
| card, but the computer does not and i dont think its about to cope wid it
as
| it is almost screwed as it is. i want to share the internet conection
| between these two, the files , etc...
|
| any help apreciated.
|
| BTW i would get broadband except NTL dont offer it in my area, and im on
| real low budget on internet

One cable needed - CAT5 (or better) crossover ethernet cable. That's it. Run
the XP Home Network Setup Wizard on the XP laptop, then the ME box. Of
course, then you need to learn about file sharing, printer sharing, etc. I'd
suggest you do some reading on the Internet -

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...g/default.mspx
http://www.homepcnetwork.com/
or search at Google for Home Networking for plenty more help...

philio

news:wjRPd.16403$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "philio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:j1RPd.567$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | im planning on networking a computer of the specifications below to a
> laptop
> | od the specifications below.
> |
> | computer: windows ME, dial up internet, 370Mb Ram, 800Mhz clock speed,
> 80Gb
> | HDD, network card.
> |
> | laptop: windows XP Home, Dial up internet, 512 Mb Ram, 3.33GHz Clock
> speed,
> | 80Gb HDD, network card.
> |
> | i just want to know if i can network both of these by cable as i dont

want
> | dont want to buy any extra equipment. yes the laptop does have wireless
> | card, but the computer does not and i dont think its about to cope wid

it
> as
> | it is almost screwed as it is. i want to share the internet conection
> | between these two, the files , etc...
> |
> | any help apreciated.
> |
> | BTW i would get broadband except NTL dont offer it in my area, and im on
> | real low budget on internet
> |

> One cable needed - CAT5 (or better) crossover ethernet cable. That's it.

Run
> the XP Home Network Setup Wizard on the XP laptop, then the ME box. Of
> course, then you need to learn about file sharing, printer sharing, etc.

I'd
> suggest you do some reading on the Internet -
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...g/default.mspx
> http://www.homepcnetwork.com/
> or search at Google for Home Networking for plenty more help...

cool, ill check it out.

Asim Saleem

Hi

You need UTP cable cat 5 cross over. On the windows LAP top configure the
dialup connection. In control Panel, go to network connection, right click
on dialup connection. Click on Advance and enable ICS (Internet Connection
Sharing). It will assign the network card as 192.168.1.1 as will enable DHCP
server.

In Windows ME computer, go to TCP/IP properties of your network card and in
the IP address select "Obtain IP Address Automatically". Smililarly with
Gateway. Although if you want to put DNS number, hostname and domain, you
need to check your ISP. I am sure it will sort out your problems.

Asim Saleem
ADSL level 2 Technical Support
TPG Internet, Australia
www.tpg.com.au
"philio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zqOQd.1422$(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:wjRPd.16403$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "philio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:j1RPd.567$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> | im planning on networking a computer of the specifications below to a
>> laptop
>> | od the specifications below.
>> |
>> | computer: windows ME, dial up internet, 370Mb Ram, 800Mhz clock speed,
>> 80Gb
>> | HDD, network card.
>> |
>> | laptop: windows XP Home, Dial up internet, 512 Mb Ram, 3.33GHz Clock
>> speed,
>> | 80Gb HDD, network card.
>> |
>> | i just want to know if i can network both of these by cable as i dont

> want
>> | dont want to buy any extra equipment. yes the laptop does have wireless
>> | card, but the computer does not and i dont think its about to cope wid

> it
>> as
>> | it is almost screwed as it is. i want to share the internet conection
>> | between these two, the files , etc...
>> |
>> | any help apreciated.
>> |
>> | BTW i would get broadband except NTL dont offer it in my area, and im
>> on
>> | real low budget on internet
>> |

>> One cable needed - CAT5 (or better) crossover ethernet cable. That's it.

> Run
>> the XP Home Network Setup Wizard on the XP laptop, then the ME box. Of
>> course, then you need to learn about file sharing, printer sharing, etc.

> I'd
>> suggest you do some reading on the Internet -
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...g/default.mspx
>> http://www.homepcnetwork.com/
>> or search at Google for Home Networking for plenty more help...
>>

> cool, ill check it out.

bmast17

> im planning on networking a computer of the specifications below to a
> laptop od the specifications below.
>
> computer: windows ME, dial up internet, 370Mb Ram, 800Mhz clock speed,
> 80Gb HDD, network card.
>
> laptop: windows XP Home, Dial up internet, 512 Mb Ram, 3.33GHz Clock
> speed, 80Gb HDD, network card.
>
> i just want to know if i can network both of these by cable as i dont
> want dont want to buy any extra equipment. yes the laptop does have
> wireless card, but the computer does not and i dont think its about to
> cope wid it as it is almost screwed as it is. i want to share the
> internet conection between these two, the files , etc...
>
> any help apreciated.
>
> BTW i would get broadband except NTL dont offer it in my area, and im
> on real low budget on internet

on Monday ... grab one of these at Compusa for $10 bucks .... and one
cat5 cable ........ look down the page a bit for the netgear router

http://www.compusa.com/specials/sale.../nosee218.html

killer deal .. will work in yer current sitch .... and down the line the
$15 bucks ya spend on Monday including gas will serve you well .....

even though $15 and a router is overkill right now .. and is more than
yer request for 'no extra gear' ....... I would go for it .......

I'm gonna grab one and I already have a lil network that works fine