Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > User/Administrator Accounts

User/Administrator Accounts

cc

Lately I have been thinking that if I ran as a limited user account
that would be more secure. A lot of stuff cant execute that way. Of
course I take all the normal precautions, hardware and software
firewall, anti virus, constant spy ware scans. Quite frankly it is a
pain, it takes up a lot of time.
My question is that it is difficult when I want to download
something. I have to switch users and download if from the
administrator account or change the user account to an administrator
which involves logging off etc. Is there any easier way to do this, for
example what would be nice is that when I am on as a limited account and
wanted to download something, I would be prompted for an administrator
password. I dont know if this is possible and if it is dont know how to
do it.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Charlie

Toolman Tim

"cc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NgHPd.11494$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
| Lately I have been thinking that if I ran as a limited user account
| that would be more secure. A lot of stuff cant execute that way. Of
| course I take all the normal precautions, hardware and software
| firewall, anti virus, constant spy ware scans. Quite frankly it is a
| pain, it takes up a lot of time.
| My question is that it is difficult when I want to download
| something. I have to switch users and download if from the
| administrator account or change the user account to an administrator
| which involves logging off etc. Is there any easier way to do this, for
| example what would be nice is that when I am on as a limited account and
| wanted to download something, I would be prompted for an administrator
| password. I dont know if this is possible and if it is dont know how to
| do it.
| Any suggestions?
|
| Thanks
|
| Charlie

Sounds like you have two user accounts - one limited for normal use, then
one with Administrator rights. In Windows XP, when you want to install a
program, you can right-click on the setup file, and select "Run As". Should
work for most things. Maybe using "Run As" for your browser would allow
downloads? Personally, I've never bothered with a limited account for
myself. That's for guests, visitors, family members <g> etc. So I'm not
gonna set one up just to see if a browser started with "Run As" would do
that. If you try it, please post back here with the results ;o)

cc

Toolman Tim wrote:
> "cc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:NgHPd.11494$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> | Lately I have been thinking that if I ran as a limited user account
> | that would be more secure. A lot of stuff cant execute that way. Of
> | course I take all the normal precautions, hardware and software
> | firewall, anti virus, constant spy ware scans. Quite frankly it is a
> | pain, it takes up a lot of time.
> | My question is that it is difficult when I want to download
> | something. I have to switch users and download if from the
> | administrator account or change the user account to an administrator
> | which involves logging off etc. Is there any easier way to do this, for
> | example what would be nice is that when I am on as a limited account and
> | wanted to download something, I would be prompted for an administrator
> | password. I dont know if this is possible and if it is dont know how to
> | do it.
> | Any suggestions?
> |
> | Thanks
> |
> | Charlie
>
> Sounds like you have two user accounts - one limited for normal use, then
> one with Administrator rights. In Windows XP, when you want to install a
> program, you can right-click on the setup file, and select "Run As". Should
> work for most things. Maybe using "Run As" for your browser would allow
> downloads? Personally, I've never bothered with a limited account for
> myself. That's for guests, visitors, family members <g> etc. So I'm not
> gonna set one up just to see if a browser started with "Run As" would do
> that. If you try it, please post back here with the results ;o)

Well it sounded promising but unfortunately I dont have a run as when I
right click on the exe file.I think I will buy a mac.

Charlie

Toolman Tim

"cc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0vRPd.1182$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
| Toolman Tim wrote:
| > "cc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:NgHPd.11494$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
| > | Lately I have been thinking that if I ran as a limited user
account
| > | that would be more secure. A lot of stuff cant execute that way. Of
| > | course I take all the normal precautions, hardware and software
| > | firewall, anti virus, constant spy ware scans. Quite frankly it is a
| > | pain, it takes up a lot of time.
| > | My question is that it is difficult when I want to download
| > | something. I have to switch users and download if from the
| > | administrator account or change the user account to an administrator
| > | which involves logging off etc. Is there any easier way to do this,
for
| > | example what would be nice is that when I am on as a limited account
and
| > | wanted to download something, I would be prompted for an administrator
| > | password. I dont know if this is possible and if it is dont know how
| > | do it.
| > | Any suggestions?
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > | Charlie
| >
| > Sounds like you have two user accounts - one limited for normal use,
then
| > one with Administrator rights. In Windows XP, when you want to install a
| > program, you can right-click on the setup file, and select "Run As".
Should
| > work for most things. Maybe using "Run As" for your browser would allow
| > downloads? Personally, I've never bothered with a limited account for
| > myself. That's for guests, visitors, family members <g> etc. So I'm not
| > gonna set one up just to see if a browser started with "Run As" would do
| > that. If you try it, please post back here with the results ;o)
| >

| Well it sounded promising but unfortunately I dont have a run as when I
| right click on the exe file.I think I will buy a mac.

I do. Are clicking on a link or shortcut, or on the actual exe file at
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

(still may not help though...)

cc

Toolman Tim wrote:
> "cc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0vRPd.1182$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> | Toolman Tim wrote:
> | > "cc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | > news:NgHPd.11494$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> account
> for
> and
> | > |
> | > |

> | > Sounds like you have two user accounts - one limited for normal use,
> then
> | > one with Administrator rights. In Windows XP, when you want to install a
> | > program, you can right-click on the setup file, and select "Run As".
> Should
> | > work for most things. Maybe using "Run As" for your browser would allow
> | > downloads? Personally, I've never bothered with a limited account for
> | > myself. That's for guests, visitors, family members <g> etc. So I'm not
> | > gonna set one up just to see if a browser started with "Run As" would do
> | > that. If you try it, please post back here with the results ;o)
> | >

> | Well it sounded promising but unfortunately I dont have a run as when I
> | right click on the exe file.I think I will buy a mac.
> |
> I do. Are clicking on a link or shortcut, or on the actual exe file at
> C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
>
> (still may not help though...)

No still cant find it. The funny thing is that I remember seeing that
choice at times. It just is not there now. Oh weell.
Thanks for the help.

Charlle