Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wireless Network Kaboom with (all wireless G) Belkin f5d7632 router, f5d7000 pci card and ftd7050 usb card

Wireless Network Kaboom with (all wireless G) Belkin f5d7632 router, f5d7000 pci card and ftd7050 usb card

Brooke Is Bubbling

Hi, bought this a last week and since then have had nothing but problems
with it loosing connection.

I hope that one of you good peeps will know the answer or at least point me
at someone/where that can help

Running Win XP Pro on main machine
Running w2k pro on toshiba laptop

Connection configured with WPA-PSK security

For no apparent reason the network connection will drop between the laptop
and router or the pc and router (only once or twice have both machines lost
connectivity togetehr).

The wireless utilites on both machines say that it can see the network, can
identify the SSID and reports strong signal (there is only about 4 feet
between them, but would like to put them further apart).

When connectivity is lost then on the PC it reports finding network, network
found but can't get an IP address and then loops around and around. The only
resolution is to switch the Router off and on again..... or disable the PCI
card and then enable it again.

When the Laptop looses connectivity it can be either when you first switch
it on, it loops between telling me that media is disconnected, media
connected but the utilities can't get an IP address and then I get a message
about media being disconnected again. Leaving the laptop alon and then
switching router off and on again usually establishes link.

Whilst in use then similar to what happens to the PC happens, working away
great then boom, gone, in the case of the laptop though disabling card and
enabling it again doesn't work, you have to power the router off and on
again is needed to establish the link.

Any more info is avail on request

Scraggy

Brooke Is Bubbling wrote:
> Hi, bought this a last week and since then have had nothing but
> problems with it loosing connection.
>
> I hope that one of you good peeps will know the answer or at least
> point me at someone/where that can help
>
> Running Win XP Pro on main machine
> Running w2k pro on toshiba laptop
>
> Connection configured with WPA-PSK security
>
> For no apparent reason the network connection will drop between the
> laptop and router or the pc and router (only once or twice have both
> machines lost connectivity togetehr).
>
> The wireless utilites on both machines say that it can see the
> network, can identify the SSID and reports strong signal (there is
> only about 4 feet between them, but would like to put them further
> apart).
> When connectivity is lost then on the PC it reports finding network,
> network found but can't get an IP address and then loops around and
> around. The only resolution is to switch the Router off and on
> again..... or disable the PCI card and then enable it again.
>
> When the Laptop looses connectivity it can be either when you first
> switch it on, it loops between telling me that media is disconnected,
> media connected but the utilities can't get an IP address and then I
> get a message about media being disconnected again. Leaving the
> laptop alon and then switching router off and on again usually
> establishes link.
> Whilst in use then similar to what happens to the PC happens, working
> away great then boom, gone, in the case of the laptop though
> disabling card and enabling it again doesn't work, you have to power
> the router off and on again is needed to establish the link.
>
> Any more info is avail on request

You have downloaded the latest drivers for the 7050 and 7000? Lease time is
set at forever on router? Tried running it just at WEP to see if syptoms
persist? Tried allocating fixed IP addresses to PC & Laptop?
--
My wife lost all her credit cards, but I'm not going to report it.
Whoever found them spends less than she does. -- Henny Youngman

why?

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:40:41 -0000, Brooke Is Bubbling wrote:

>Hi, bought this a last week and since then have had nothing but problems
>with it loosing connection.
>
>I hope that one of you good peeps will know the answer or at least point me
>at someone/where that can help
>
>Running Win XP Pro on main machine
>Running w2k pro on toshiba laptop

You don't say which SP level.

>Connection configured with WPA-PSK security

Does Windows 2000 do WPA-PSK? Unless you have an updated driver from the
manufacturer it won't.

It's very difficult to support WPA-PSK / WEP at the same time on the
same AP. (at least 6 months ago, maybe it's better now, that was all
Belkin kit as well)

XP is okay with the MS bolt on for WPA-PSK
this is fine if all you have is XP PCs.

You may need to upgrade router firmware / wireless nic drivers to
support it.

Wireless Rollup for XP, included in XP SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826942

<snip>

Me

Brooke Is Bubbling

Cheers for the reply Scraggy

The verson of drivers on Belkin are same version as came with CD with
adapters
DHCP was set to 30 mins, now set to forever
and have now re-enabled WPA since I made changes to WPA (trying to keep
things as before for comparison)
Tried once to allocate fixed IP to laptop, machine went wibble with pencils
up it's nose :>) havn't tried since

I'll go through various flavour of what you mention below and see if I can
get any commonality between them, may take a while as I leave them bed in
before trying next thing.

Once again cheers

"Scraggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> You have downloaded the latest drivers for the 7050 and 7000? Lease time
> is set at forever on router? Tried running it just at WEP to see if
> syptoms persist? Tried allocating fixed IP addresses to PC & Laptop?
> --
> My wife lost all her credit cards, but I'm not going to report it.
> Whoever found them spends less than she does. -- Henny Youngman

Brooke Is Bubbling

Cheers for the reply Why?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> You don't say which SP level.

Both fully patched

>>Connection configured with WPA-PSK security

> Does Windows 2000 do WPA-PSK? Unless you have an updated driver from the
> manufacturer it won't.

That's what I thought and was going to use WEP until it was listed in the
Belkin Utility, so tried it to see what happens and it seems to take care of
this

> You may need to upgrade router firmware / wireless nic drivers to
> support it.

No firmware/driver upgrades for these items, version on CD seems more up to
date than on website (ones on website disables WPA on XP??, ones on CD
enable again)

Scraggy

Brooke Is Bubbling wrote:
> Cheers for the reply Scraggy
>
> The verson of drivers on Belkin are same version as came with CD with
> adapters
> DHCP was set to 30 mins, now set to forever
> and have now re-enabled WPA since I made changes to WPA (trying to
> keep things as before for comparison)
> Tried once to allocate fixed IP to laptop, machine went wibble with
> pencils up it's nose :>) havn't tried since
>
> I'll go through various flavour of what you mention below and see if
> I can get any commonality between them, may take a while as I leave
> them bed in before trying next thing.
>
> Once again cheers
>

> "Scraggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>> You have downloaded the latest drivers for the 7050 and 7000? Lease
>> time is set at forever on router? Tried running it just at WEP to
>> see if syptoms persist? Tried allocating fixed IP addresses to PC &
>> Laptop? --
>> My wife lost all her credit cards, but I'm not going to report it.
>> Whoever found them spends less than she does. -- Henny Youngman

Ahaa. Problem lies with "pencils" use only ONE when dealing with WEP.
Wibble.