Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > routers

routers

McWideGlide

My son has xbox. He plays online. we wish to purchase a router so the
computer and his xbox can be on at the same time. Our system is a Windows 98
Dell DimensionV400. He bought a 30 foot cable that he uses and we do not
have any need for a wireless. We can route the wire under the house for a
permanent wiring to eliminate the wire across the floor.He mentioned
Lyncsys.sorry about the spelling. What determines which one will work. We
looked last weekend and there are too many on the shelf.
Jeff

Toolman Tim

"McWideGlide" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fePd.6338$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
| My son has xbox. He plays online. we wish to purchase a router so the
| computer and his xbox can be on at the same time. Our system is a Windows
98
| Dell DimensionV400. He bought a 30 foot cable that he uses and we do not
| have any need for a wireless. We can route the wire under the house for a
| permanent wiring to eliminate the wire across the floor.He mentioned
| Lyncsys.sorry about the spelling. What determines which one will work. We
| looked last weekend and there are too many on the shelf.
| Jeff

Earthlink? Dialup? Sorry...not a good pick.

BUT if you have broadband via cable or DSL, then *any* router that has
cable/DSL WAN input and enough LAN ports would do. Linksys, D-Link, dozens
of others...even the cheap no-name stuff...all do the same thing...brand
names mean very little unless you happen to get a defective piece of
equipment. Then the brand name boxes may be easier to get warranty
service/replacements for. But if you buy locally, the dealer should stand
behind whatever brand you get. In fact, our local Walmart are selling these
things now. If it doesn't work, they don't even ask...they just take it
back.

Dennis Turner

McWideGlide appears, somewhat unbelievably, to have opined:
> My son has xbox. He plays online. we wish to purchase a router so the
> computer and his xbox can be on at the same time. Our system is a Windows 98
> Dell DimensionV400. He bought a 30 foot cable that he uses and we do not
> have any need for a wireless. We can route the wire under the house for a
> permanent wiring to eliminate the wire across the floor.He mentioned
> Lyncsys.sorry about the spelling. What determines which one will work. We
> looked last weekend and there are too many on the shelf.
> Jeff

Linksys is fine. All major brands (Netgear, Belkin, and more)will work
just fine. You need to have a Network Interface Card in your computer.
If it's Win 98, you may not have one. They are cheap and easy to
install. Buy by price they are fairly generic these days.

--
I sent ten puns to all my friends hoping that at least one
would make them laugh.