Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > display blinks off and then on

display blinks off and then on

sab

Hi
I have a new video card NVidia Geforce FX 5500 on my pc. It works fine but
when I right-click on a file (to rename it or to open the Properties...) the
display blinks off and on. It also happens when I click on the File menu in
Windows Explorer; or when I open the video card properties (this one is
normal I think, I read about it on the Nvidia web site). It bothers me
because my monitor is quite old and also because it makes a big clic sound
each time.
Does someone know what causes this? Do I have to change a parameter in my
video card properties or in Windows?

Specs:
WinXP
1,5 P4 cpu
Nvidia Geforce FX 5500
Asus P4P800SE motherboard

Barry

Try turning down your refresh rate to about 60,,,
"sab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bL9Pd.32990$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi
> I have a new video card NVidia Geforce FX 5500 on my pc. It works fine but
> when I right-click on a file (to rename it or to open the Properties...)
> the display blinks off and on. It also happens when I click on the File
> menu in Windows Explorer; or when I open the video card properties (this
> one is normal I think, I read about it on the Nvidia web site). It bothers
> me because my monitor is quite old and also because it makes a big clic
> sound each time.
> Does someone know what causes this? Do I have to change a parameter in my
> video card properties or in Windows?
>
> Specs:
> WinXP
> 1,5 P4 cpu
> Nvidia Geforce FX 5500
> Asus P4P800SE motherboard

sab

Thanks but it's already at 60

"Barry" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
DAePd.1701$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try turning down your refresh rate to about 60,,,

> "sab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bL9Pd.32990$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Hi
>> I have a new video card NVidia Geforce FX 5500 on my pc. It works fine
>> but when I right-click on a file (to rename it or to open the
>> Properties...) the display blinks off and on. It also happens when I
>> click on the File menu in Windows Explorer; or when I open the video card
>> properties (this one is normal I think, I read about it on the Nvidia web
>> site). It bothers me because my monitor is quite old and also because it
>> makes a big clic sound each time.
>> Does someone know what causes this? Do I have to change a parameter in my
>> video card properties or in Windows?
>>
>> Specs:
>> WinXP
>> 1,5 P4 cpu
>> Nvidia Geforce FX 5500
>> Asus P4P800SE motherboard

sab

Any other ideas?

"sab" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
bL9Pd.32990$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I have a new video card NVidia Geforce FX 5500 on my pc. It works fine but
> when I right-click on a file (to rename it or to open the Properties...)
> the display blinks off and on. It also happens when I click on the File
> menu in Windows Explorer; or when I open the video card properties (this
> one is normal I think, I read about it on the Nvidia web site). It bothers
> me because my monitor is quite old and also because it makes a big clic
> sound each time.
> Does someone know what causes this? Do I have to change a parameter in my
> video card properties or in Windows?
>
> Specs:
> WinXP
> 1,5 P4 cpu
> Nvidia Geforce FX 5500
> Asus P4P800SE motherboard

sab

I just noticed that it happens when I right-clic on a wmv, mpg or avi file
only (it's ok with the rm, asf, mov ... files)

"sab" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
bL9Pd.32990$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I have a new video card NVidia Geforce FX 5500 on my pc. It works fine but
> when I right-click on a file (to rename it or to open the Properties...)
> the display blinks off and on. It also happens when I click on the File
> menu in Windows Explorer; or when I open the video card properties (this
> one is normal I think, I read about it on the Nvidia web site). It bothers
> me because my monitor is quite old and also because it makes a big clic
> sound each time.
> Does someone know what causes this? Do I have to change a parameter in my
> video card properties or in Windows?
>
> Specs:
> WinXP
> 1,5 P4 cpu
> Nvidia Geforce FX 5500
> Asus P4P800SE motherboard

xtigma xtigma is offline
Junior Member

Hi.
I have the same problem. Mine is an nVidia GeFroce 4 MX 400.
using resolution 1600x1200@60Hz~75Hz on a AMW 19" Flat Panel Monitor.

Everytime I right click a media file the monitor clicks as when changing resolution.
I notice that at the end of the submenu theres a menu called " Play On My" that leads to the name of the monitor ► "Analog Display"

So my monitor doesn't get detected as P&P monitor.
Also I have been able to deactivate this by changing all options at Advanced nVidia Panel that refer to Dual Monitor, also multiple Desktops Manager.
Well it worked once. For minutes, suddenly nVidia's controllers deactivated Tray icon and any changes had lost. Done it again, nVidia Tray closes again.

Without the drivers my monitor works well. is there any way to disable all that sh***ty stuff? I mean nVidia Control Panel, Desktop Management Stuff and all the bull***t just leaving the REAL drivers?

Windows File Explorer blinks of and on Jimmy Clay (www.songofthecoyote.com) Computer Support 4 05-13-2011 04:01 PM
Monitor Display blinks GN MCTS 0 12-09-2008 03:50 PM
When I open laptop lid i have display then it goes away then comes back Ed Computer Support 1 03-02-2006 07:26 PM
ThinkPad screen "blinks" now and then Roger Jansson Computer Support 1 12-19-2005 02:37 PM