Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Phony sites about phoney towns.

Phony sites about phoney towns.

bambam@nospam.tnx

My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
alway what they seem.

That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
has not been my friend.

Any help much appreciated.

Ken

Scraggy

> My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
> about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
> alway what they seem.
>
> That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
> for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
> about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
> has not been my friend.
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Ken

This any use?
http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/di...=sidebarsearch
--
My wife lost all her credit cards, but I'm not going to report it.
Whoever found them spends less than she does. -- Henny Youngman

Yddap

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
> about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
> alway what they seem.
>
> That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
> for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
> about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
> has not been my friend.
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Ken

Try http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus.html an excellent spoof and very
suitable
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

bambam@nospam.tnx

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:33:45 GMT, "Yddap" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
>> about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
>> alway what they seem.
>>
>> That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
>> for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
>> about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
>> has not been my friend.
>>
>> Any help much appreciated.
>>
>> Ken

>Try http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus.html an excellent spoof and very
>suitable

Oh, that is excellent. Thank you so much.

Ken

Joel Rubin

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:11:45 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
>about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
>alway what they seem.
>
>That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
>for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
>about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
>has not been my friend.
>
>Any help much appreciated.

I see some "News from Lake Woebegon" monologues (as part of Real Audio
recordings of Garrison Keillor's radio program, a Prairie Home
Companion) at prairiehome.org but no special pages devoted to the "the
little town that time forgot; where women are strong, the men
good-looking, and the children are all above average."

Ionizer

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
> about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
> alway what they seem.
>
> That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
> for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
> about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
> has not been my friend.
>
> Any help much appreciated.

This is an amusingly alarmist site: http://www.dhmo.org/

The site is devoted to the notion that Dihydrogen Monoxide should be
banned due to the very real dangers that it presents:

"Each year, Dihydrogen Monoxide is a known causative component in many
thousands of deaths and is a major contributor to millions upon millions
of dollars in damage to property and the environment."

Dihydrogen Monoxide, as many grade niners will realize, is water.

A great hoax-debunking site in general is http://www.snopes.com/ which
explores the facts, if any, behind a huge volume of urban legends. The
site's content certainly lends validity to the Temptations lyrics "believe
in half of what you see, son, and none of what you hear."

Regards,
Ian.
(Now Playing: I Heard It Through The Grapevine - The Temptations)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
> about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
> alway what they seem.
>
> That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
> for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
> about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
> has not been my friend.
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Ken

I happened upon a site a few days ago that presented many girls/women
who live in my hometown (they listed my town by name under each pic)
that want to have carnal knowledge with me poste haste. Funny thing is,
I live in one of those small towns like Mayberry and I didn't recognize
a single female. But maybe they're out there. If you're interested, I'll
look through my history and cache and get the URL.

Yddap

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> opined very noisily:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
>> about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
>> alway what they seem.
>>
>> That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are
>> suitable for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very
>> real looking about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long
>> lost and google has not been my friend.
>>
>> Any help much appreciated.
>>
>> Ken

Rogered -- Gan yam sexually

--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Blinky the Shark

Yddap wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
>> about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
>> alway what they seem.

>> That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
>> for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
>> about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
>> has not been my friend.

>> Any help much appreciated.

>> Ken

> Try http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus.html an excellent spoof and very
> suitable

Adding this one here, Yddap, since I thought you might enjoy it, as
well: http://www.dhmo.org/

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
Now killing all posts made with User-Agent G2 (Google Groups)

Blinky the Shark

Ionizer wrote:
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My wife teaches computers to grades seven, eight and nine. They're
>> about to learn that -- especially on the internet -- things are not
>> alway what they seem.

>> That is -- they are if we can find enough hoax sites that are suitable
>> for young minds. She recalls a couple of sites ... very real looking
>> about towns that did not exist ... the url's are long lost and google
>> has not been my friend.

>> Any help much appreciated.

> This is an amusingly alarmist site: http://www.dhmo.org/

And *extensive*!

I've had it linked at blinkynet for a long time, and just added it to
the thread; should've finished reading the thread, first.

Did you ever see the "Canadian Domination" site? It's down, but it was
another extensive site about Canada's plans to attack the US and take
over North America. It was done *from* Canada as a mock-patriotic
salute, not by USans as a mock-scare thing.