Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to post to a forum and newsgroup simultaneously

How to post to a forum and newsgroup simultaneously

James

How is it possible to set post to a forum and to post to a newsgroup a the
same time so that the replies to the thread actually are posted on the
forum.

Is this possible?

Vanguard

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How is it possible to set post to a forum and to post to a newsgroup a
> the same time so that the replies to the thread actually are posted on
> the forum.
>
> Is this possible?

Contact the forum operator to see if they run a usenet gateway that
copies posts in their forums into the newsgroups.

James

"Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How is it possible to set post to a forum and to post to a newsgroup a
>> the same time so that the replies to the thread actually are posted on
>> the forum.
>>
>> Is this possible?

> Contact the forum operator to see if they run a usenet gateway that copies
> posts in their forums into the newsgroups.

If that is the case, then does that mean that a post could them be here from
say "my nice forum" and then anybody who replies to that post will
automatically
have it posted in that forum? Is that how it would work?

> --
> __________________________________________________ __________
> Post your replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.
> E-mail reply: Remove "NIXTHIS" and add "#VS811" to Subject.
> __________________________________________________ __________

Vanguard

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> How is it possible to set post to a forum and to post to a newsgroup
>>> a the same time so that the replies to the thread actually are
>>> posted on the forum.
>>>
>>> Is this possible?

>> Contact the forum operator to see if they run a usenet gateway that
>> copies posts in their forums into the newsgroups.

> If that is the case, then does that mean that a post could them be
> here from say "my nice forum" and then anybody who replies to that
> post will automatically
> have it posted in that forum? Is that how it would work?

That is how the usenet gateway is supposed to work. So far, however,
results have been mixed. The gateway is usually a hack, not something
specifically designed and developed for the forum software. vBulletin
is one that has a hack for a usenet gateway but it still doesn't post
using valid NNTP headers and threading often gets screwed up (back in
the forum where the usenet posts got copied). I am not familiar with
using the usenet gateway because I don't post in forums where they want
the Usenet to pollute the forum. However, it seems a one-way solution:
the forum gets to post to Usenet and copies of posts get copied into the
forum (for the newsgroups selected as appropriate for that forum). The
Usenet doesn't give a damn about forums so it doesn't go yanking all the
posts submitted in all the publicly open forums. The Usenet has enough
traffic. The forums are trying to generate more traffic and widen their
audience; otherwise, they end up with a limited audience and maybe a
dead forum.

James

"Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

I am not familiar with
> using the usenet gateway because I don't post in forums where they want
> the Usenet to pollute the forum.

However, it seems a one-way solution:
> the forum gets to post to Usenet and copies of posts get copied into the
> forum (for the newsgroups selected as appropriate for that forum).

Thats what I was wondering so then is it only the posts that get responded
to that get posted in the forum? Eg. going back to the example about "my
super forum", if someone posted a post called: "my great post" then it
automatically gets posted to usenet, but then would i be correct in assuming
that only posts that reply to that post get posted back on the forum?

G. Morgan

Subject: Re: How to post to a forum and newsgroup simultaneously
Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
=> James <= wrote:

>Thats what I was wondering so then is it only the posts that get responded
>to that get posted in the forum? Eg. going back to the example about "my
>super forum", if someone posted a post called: "my great post" then it
>automatically gets posted to usenet, but then would i be correct in assuming
>that only posts that reply to that post get posted back on the forum?

What forum? What gateway?

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email

Vanguard

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I am not familiar with
>> using the usenet gateway because I don't post in forums where they
>> want the Usenet to pollute the forum.

> However, it seems a one-way solution:
>> the forum gets to post to Usenet and copies of posts get copied into
>> the forum (for the newsgroups selected as appropriate for that
>> forum).

> Thats what I was wondering so then is it only the posts that get
> responded to that get posted in the forum? Eg. going back to the
> example about "my super forum", if someone posted a post called: "my
> great post" then it automatically gets posted to usenet, but then
> would i be correct in assuming that only posts that reply to that post
> get posted back on the forum?

It depends on the hack. From what I've been told, the forum user posts
and it gets copied to the newsgroups. Any replies go back to the
newsgroups. As to whether any newsgroups posts (that originated solely
in Usenet) appear back in the forum, well, the depends if the hack was
written to keep the selected newsgroup posts in sync with the forum or
not. That's something you need to ask the forum moderators that use
their hack for the usenet gateway.

Vanguard

"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Subject: Re: How to post to a forum and newsgroup simultaneously
> Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> => James <= wrote:
>
>>Thats what I was wondering so then is it only the posts that get
>>responded
>>to that get posted in the forum? Eg. going back to the example about
>>"my
>>super forum", if someone posted a post called: "my great post" then it
>>automatically gets posted to usenet, but then would i be correct in
>>assuming
>>that only posts that reply to that post get posted back on the forum?
>>

> What forum? What gateway?

I ran across the usenet gateway in a post copied to Usenet from an
Iamnotageek forum user. I noticed their NNTP headers were screwed up
regarding the References header (their gateway wasn't making sure the
originating post was getting submitted to their NNTP server before the
reply post). I then checked what forum software they used which, as I
recall, was vBulletin. I then went to vbulletin.org and did a search in
their forums on "gateway" which came up with:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...hlight=gateway

Later there was a post by a user from the forums at officekb.com which
also uses a gateway to link their posts into Usenet. Both gateways add
a signature onto the post to identify that it originated in a forum and
was passed via the gateway. For the officekb.com forum user whose post
got replicated into the microsoft.public.outlook.general newsgroup, the
signature was:

For the Iamnotageek forum user whose post got gateway'ed to Usenet,
their signature was:

--
<username>
------------------------------------------------------------*------------

So get ready for a whole other "flavor" of newbies invading Usenet.
Forums aren't satisfied with the population size they draw so they want
to make their community look larger by usurping the Usenet community.
Their excuse is that it widens the audience for posts made in their
forum so users stand a better chance of getting their questions
answered.

Forums users are about to get a rude awakening as to just how crude,
irresponsible, and puerile can be Usenet folk. I certainly don't want
Usenet invading the forums where I visit. Moderation which is continual
has the effect of raising the level of professionalism by its
participants. However, I also don't want the type of newbies intrinsic
to forum users invading Usenet, either, because they don't have a
concept of what is Usenet, and they probably won't have the thick
skinned egos needed to weather the "wind" that blows often crudely in
Usenet. These different type of communities might not really be a good
match. Time will tell if each will be tolerant of the other.

Xinek the antagonist

Vanguard, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the dead set, rotten onion, and tub
maker, guffed:

> I ran across the usenet gateway

Pity you didn't get run over and killed by a spurious 42-tonne Mack truck.

James

"Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> I am not familiar with
>>> using the usenet gateway because I don't post in forums where they want
>>> the Usenet to pollute the forum.

>> However, it seems a one-way solution:
>>> the forum gets to post to Usenet and copies of posts get copied into the
>>> forum (for the newsgroups selected as appropriate for that forum).

>> Thats what I was wondering so then is it only the posts that get
>> responded to that get posted in the forum? Eg. going back to the example
>> about "my super forum", if someone posted a post called: "my great post"
>> then it automatically gets posted to usenet, but then would i be correct
>> in assuming that only posts that reply to that post get posted back on
>> the forum?
>>

> It depends on the hack. From what I've been told, the forum user posts
> and it gets copied to the newsgroups. Any replies go back to the
> newsgroups. As to whether any newsgroups posts (that originated solely in
> Usenet) appear back in the forum, well, the depends if the hack was
> written to keep the selected newsgroup posts in sync with the forum or
> not. That's something you need to ask the forum moderators that use their
> hack for the usenet gateway.

Hi Vanguard
That doesn't make sense. I understand what you were saying to begin with,
that the motivation for the forums would be to have a "one way" operation so
that their forum posts get posted into usenet, however, if those subsequent
replies to those usenet posts don't get posted back into the forum then it
defeats the object of what they are trying to achieve.

I mean if only the forum posts ended up in usenet then it would not benefit
the forum or the forum owners, therefore there must exist the mechanism so
that usenet replies go back to that forum post. Like for example the message
has the necessary email details in the headers to ensure that replies posted
to it go to usenet and back to the forum. That is how I am thinking it must
work, which would explain why you can see some usenet postings on some
forums but not all. It would mean that only the replies that were given were
posted on the forum and not all the other bits and pieces.

I do agree with you that they might be in for a shock with all the different
type of responses you can get via usenet.