Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-usb2 installation problem (long)

Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-usb2 installation problem (long)

zulu

I am in the process of replacing a Hauppauge WinTV usb (1.1) unit with
Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-usb2.
If I run *hcwclear.exe* I (as instructed) remove all the old stuff, Windows
XP SP2 refuses to complete the process but endlessly restarts at the
*...your settings* window.

If I remove all myself, using *My Uninstaller 2004* all seems fine and I can
install the new drivers ok (new device then shows in Device manager) and I
then reinstall the WinTV32 or WinTV2000 apps. All seems ok until I try to
run either of them

I get three error messages:

1} Error: cannot locate capture Filter (Hauppauge WIN TV USB Pro capture)

2) Cannot Build Filtergraph

3) WiTV Initialisation Error hTV=0

I can safely do a System Restore from Safe Mode(several times now!) and the
old unit then works ok.

If I then unplug the usb cable and try to run either of the WinTV32 or
WinTV2000 apps I get the same Error messages.(!)

I have checked the usb connection on the new unit, and it seems ok.

In fact I presume that it must be or Windows wouldn't have detectes it...

Advice from Hauppauge is to do a Repair install of XP, but this scares me
rigid as I am partially sighted and if I get a (predictable!) problem i wont
be able to fix it as I can only read the small font with _extreme_
difficulty.What would doing a Repair Install actually CHANGE (as opposed to
FIX?)?

For example I am using 125% DPI and all fonts set to 14 bold (all bar the
ones I need to see, which I can't change....)

Will the internet still work etc. etc.

Help!

..... please

TYVM

--
¦ zulu ¦
Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768

°Mike°

Error Messages when attempting to run WinTV32 or WinTV2000
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/faq/s...aq_usb.html#13

<quote>
Error messages such as: "Error. Cannot locate capture filter",
"Cannot build filtergraph", "Error connecting Vcap and HCWCap
filters", "Error connecting preview pin" can be caused by bad
driver installations. Run the latest driver on the Hauppauge
WinTV-USB technical support page to fix this. This new driver
runs HCWCLEAR first, and then automatically reinstalls the
driver.

Aternatively you may receive an 'Initialization error HTV=## '.
Please look in the Device manager to see if the Hauppauge
WinTV USB is listed correctly in the Device Manager. If it is
not listed properly or if it has a Yellow mark on it, the drivers
should be reinstalled.

Also, look under Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device
Manager and be sure that the "Universal serial bus controller"
is listed correctly(not disabled) as well as the USB root hub. If
disabled, re-enable, and reboot.
<unquote>

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:56:56 GMT, in
<IAaOd.1304$(E-Mail Removed)>
zulu scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Steven

usb tv cards are bad idea for recording anyways- pci better as its
faster......

> [...]
>>ones I need to see, which I can't change....)
>>
>>Will the internet still work etc. etc.
>>
>>Help!
>>
>>.... please
>>
>>TYVM

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

zulu

> Error Messages when attempting to run WinTV32 or WinTV2000
> http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/faq/s...aq_usb.html#13
>
> <quote>
> Error messages such as: "Error. Cannot locate capture filter",
> "Cannot build filtergraph", "Error connecting Vcap and HCWCap
> filters", "Error connecting preview pin" can be caused by bad
> driver installations. Run the latest driver on the Hauppauge
> WinTV-USB technical support page to fix this. This new driver
> runs HCWCLEAR first, and then automatically reinstalls the

That has stopped the error messages, (Hooray!)
Ae you 100% sure ythat it DOEs run HCWCLEAR?
The display still contains the channel names I entered with the old
device...
e.ge BBC1, BBC2 etc.

> Aternatively you may receive an 'Initialization error HTV=## '.
> Please look in the Device manager to see if the Hauppauge
> WinTV USB is listed correctly in the Device Manager. If it is
> not listed properly or if it has a Yellow mark on it, the drivers
> should be reinstalled.

It's there correctly

> Also, look under Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device
> Manager and be sure that the "Universal serial bus controller"
> is listed correctly(not disabled) as well as the USB root hub. If
> disabled, re-enable, and reboot.

TYhat's OK too

Everyything now seems to work fine.
the only problem is - - - I get NO picture.
(It apparently scanned ok...)

(
I VM appreciate the help BTW!

> <unquote>
>

> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 21:56:56 GMT, in
> <IAaOd.1304$(E-Mail Removed)>
> zulu scrawled:
>
>>I am in the process of replacing a Hauppauge WinTV usb (1.1) unit with
>>Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-usb2.
>>If I run *hcwclear.exe* I (as instructed) remove all the old stuff,
>>Windows
>>XP SP2 refuses to complete the process but endlessly restarts at the
>>*...your settings* window.
>>
>>If I remove all myself, using *My Uninstaller 2004* all seems fine and I
>>can
>>install the new drivers ok (new device then shows in Device manager) and I
>>then reinstall the WinTV32 or WinTV2000 apps. All seems ok until I try
>>run either of them
>>
>>I get three error messages:
>>
>>1} Error: cannot locate capture Filter (Hauppauge WIN TV USB Pro capture)
>>
>>2) Cannot Build Filtergraph
>>
>>3) WiTV Initialisation Error hTV=0
>>
>>I can safely do a System Restore from Safe Mode(several times now!) and
>>the
>>old unit then works ok.
>>
>>If I then unplug the usb cable and try to run either of the WinTV32 or
>>WinTV2000 apps I get the same Error messages.(!)
>>
>>I have checked the usb connection on the new unit, and it seems ok.
>>
>>In fact I presume that it must be or Windows wouldn't have detectes it...
>>
>>Advice from Hauppauge is to do a Repair install of XP, but this scares me
>>rigid as I am partially sighted and if I get a (predictable!) problem i
>>wont
>>be able to fix it as I can only read the small font with _extreme_
>>difficulty.What would doing a Repair Install actually CHANGE (as opposed
>>FIX?)?
>>
>>For example I am using 125% DPI and all fonts set to 14 bold (all bar the
>>ones I need to see, which I can't change....)
>>
>>Will the internet still work etc. etc.
>>
>>Help!
>>
>>.... please
>>
>>TYVM

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

G. Morgan

Subject: Re: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-usb2 installation problem (long)
Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
=> zulu <= wrote:

>Everyything now seems to work fine.
>the only problem is - - - I get NO picture.
>(It apparently scanned ok...)

Did you set the proper video format (NTSC for US - PAL for Europe), and choose
your country? (this is needed to get the correct frequency lock)

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email

zulu

"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Subject: Re: Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-usb2 installation problem (long)
> Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> => zulu <= wrote:
>
>>Everyything now seems to work fine.
>>the only problem is - - - I get NO picture.
>>(It apparently scanned ok...)

> Did you set the proper video format (NTSC for US - PAL for Europe), and
> choose
> your country? (this is needed to get the correct frequency lock)

Yes
PAl (UK)
I'll double check that though....

Thanks

BTW, Nobody answered this bit howevver:

"dvice from Hauppauge is to do a Repair install of XP, but this scares me
rigid as I am partially sighted and if I get a (predictable!) problem i wont
be able to fix it as I can only read the small font with _extreme_
difficulty.What would doing a Repair Install actually CHANGE (as opposed to
FIX?)?
For example I am using 125% DPI and all fonts set to 14 bold (all bar the
ones I need to see, which I can't change....)
Will the internet still work etc. etc."
Question: would it help anyway?

Back in a couple of hours....I have to collect the wife from work and then
cook dinner <g>
It's a hard life being retired, I've never had to work so hard!

°Mike°

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:14:23 GMT, in
<zFqOd.187$(E-Mail Removed)>
zulu scrawled:

<snip>

>Everyything now seems to work fine.

That's good.

>the only problem is - - - I get NO picture.
>(It apparently scanned ok...)

I can't help you there, unfortunately.

>(
>I VM appreciate the help BTW!

You're welcome.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

zulu

Hooray!
It working <huge grin>

I tried SO may things that I can't be sure what finally did the trick, which
is a shame. I think it was to do with getting the original devive (WiTV -
usb) working again and then using the hcwclear.exe file, which apparently
worked for the first time evr!) and then re-nstallng the drivers and then
updating same etc etc...

It only took me a week...with success coming in the small hours at the
epense of a stupendous headache 9i have impaired vision...)

The device works beautifully (as far as I can tell at this point) and the
picture quality is excellent.

All I need now is a better skin for it. The tV app certainly isn't designed
for people with low vision

Thanks to all who chipped in to offer assistance

--

> On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 16:14:23 GMT, in
> <zFqOd.187$(E-Mail Removed)>
> zulu scrawled:
>
> <snip>
>
>>Everyything now seems to work fine.

> That's good.
>
>>the only problem is - - - I get NO picture.
>>(It apparently scanned ok...)

> I can't help you there, unfortunately.
>
>>(
>>I VM appreciate the help BTW!

> You're welcome.
>
> <snip>
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

Excellent. I'm glad you got it sorted.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:45:47 GMT, in
<LPHOd.55$%(E-Mail Removed)>
zulu scrawled:

>Hooray!
> It working <huge grin>

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

zulu

Me three!
It shouldn't take more than a month to get to grips withit all...

Any idea where I can get more user friendly skins?

I find it VERY hard to see the buttons, and as for the tiny off *x*...
{I know...alt+F4) <g>
I need my magnifying glass to find things!

regards,