Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help with MSN

Help with MSN

david Mapleston

Just purchased a Netgear WRG614 V3 Wireless router for my computer so we can
share 2 computers with broadband.
My computer is linked up with router via cable.My
main problem is accessing msn video conferencing which does not work.It did
before I used router.I understand that it has Upnp which should open ports
when needed without doing it manually.
I enabled my router Upnp via settings for msn video and voice
but still don't work.Am i still missing something simple?
I'm using MSN 7 (beta)
McAfee firewall which gives Msn full internet access.
Updated my router firmware to the latest version.
I've been searching high and low for answers on the
internet but can't seem to get a straight understanding solution.
Hope you can help?
David

Jerry G.

This because there are many security issues with MSN, and other conferencing
utilities. The link below shows the ports used by MSN. You will have to be
knowledgeable about the set-up of the port configuration in your router in
order to open the proper ports, and still have some degree of safety. By
default, the router is set up to fully protect your system.

As an experiment, you can turn off the NAT feature in your router, just to
see if this is where the port configuration is needed. Your modem may also
have some firewall set-ups as well. If it works, I would suggest to set it
up properly, rather than not have a firewall that is active.

If your modem has a firewall, and your router also has one, I would turn off
one of them. I prefer to use the one in the router, rather than the one in
the modem. If you are able to set them both up properly, it is possible to
have both active. But, there may be conflicts under some conditions.

If you call the router support people for the router that you purchased, I
am sure that over the phone, they can walk you through the configuration to
do what you want. I am very sure that others have had the same issue with
their router.

If you are using XP-SP2, there may be some firewall issues as well.

Port Info:
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/port-table.html

SBS Services Ports:
http://www.winnetmag.com/Files/40832/Table_01.html

--

Jerry G.
=====

"david Mapleston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9i3Od.209$(E-Mail Removed)...
Just purchased a Netgear WRG614 V3 Wireless router for my computer so we can
share 2 computers with broadband.
My computer is linked up with router via cable.My
main problem is accessing msn video conferencing which does not work.It did
before I used router.I understand that it has Upnp which should open ports
when needed without doing it manually.
I enabled my router Upnp via settings for msn video and voice
but still don't work.Am i still missing something simple?
I'm using MSN 7 (beta)
McAfee firewall which gives Msn full internet access.
Updated my router firmware to the latest version.
I've been searching high and low for answers on the
internet but can't seem to get a straight understanding solution.
Hope you can help?
David

Bob B

Main problem is that messenger 6.2 is not working ..same thing happened at
times last night ... Bob

"david Mapleston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9i3Od.209$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just purchased a Netgear WRG614 V3 Wireless router for my computer so we

can
> share 2 computers with broadband.
> My computer is linked up with router via cable.My
> main problem is accessing msn video conferencing which does not work.It

did
> before I used router.I understand that it has Upnp which should open ports
> when needed without doing it manually.
> I enabled my router Upnp via settings for msn video and

voice
> but still don't work.Am i still missing something simple?
> I'm using MSN 7 (beta)
> McAfee firewall which gives Msn full internet access.
> Updated my router firmware to the latest version.
> I've been searching high and low for answers on the
> internet but can't seem to get a straight understanding solution.
> Hope you can help?
> David

Governor Swill

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:20:23 -0500, "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>If your modem has a firewall, and your router also has one, I would turn off
>one of them.

Turn off both and retry. If that works, turn on one and if the issue
reappears, turn it back off and try the other. If that also leaves
the ports blocked, pick one and configure it for your application.

Swill

--
The reasons for censoring Britt Ekland's erotic dancing in the room
next to Edward Woodward in the Inn, in the film "The Wicker Man" are