Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Upgrading from Windows 98 to XP - how do I save some of the stuff I want?

Upgrading from Windows 98 to XP - how do I save some of the stuff I want?

summer@winter.fall

I'm moving from Windows 98 to XP.

A friend of mine is letting me bring my computer into his office (he's
the business owner), and back all my data onto his server. At that
point, I'm just going to format the hard disk, install XP, and copy
back my data from his server onto my hard disk.

This way, I'm starting with a virus-free, spyware-free setup, even
though I think my computer is pretty clean as it is.

I'm concerned about a few things though.

One is my program files. I have the installation disks for most
(probably not all) my software. However, a lot of other software (all
of what I own is validly-purchased software) was downloaded from the
web after paying for it. I don't have the installer files any more,
and of course I never had a disk for them. So how do I reinstall
those? I can't just copy from the backup of the program file onto an
XP machine and have it run, can I?

Another is my preferences, and especially my passwords, for my
browsers. I use both Internet Explorer and Netscape 7. No problem,
of course, downloading current versions of those and installing once
XP is up and running. But how can I preserve my prefs and my
passwords for those two browsers? Configuring them to get them to
how/where I wanted them was awful and I'd hate to have to do it again.

Also, simple as it sounds, I have a few "junk" files and folders in my
C:\Windows\Desktop folder and I don't want to lose them. Can I simply
copy the \Windows\Desktop folder and its contents from the server
backup to wherever something like that is supposed to go in XP and
have a desktop that looks the same?

If there's a good step-by-step reference out there - there has to be,
right? - for people who've done this before, I'd love to see a link.

James Mourby

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm moving from Windows 98 to XP.
>
> A friend of mine is letting me bring my computer into his office (he's
> the business owner), and back all my data onto his server. At that
> point, I'm just going to format the hard disk, install XP, and copy
> back my data from his server onto my hard disk.
>
> This way, I'm starting with a virus-free, spyware-free setup, even
> though I think my computer is pretty clean as it is.

Technically yes, however as soon as you start to copy files back onto the pc
again, you will also copy any virus back as well.... probably best just to
run a virus checker and spyware programs.

> I'm concerned about a few things though.
>
> One is my program files. I have the installation disks for most
> (probably not all) my software. However, a lot of other software (all
> of what I own is validly-purchased software) was downloaded from the
> web after paying for it. I don't have the installer files any more,
> and of course I never had a disk for them. So how do I reinstall
> those? I can't just copy from the backup of the program file onto an
> XP machine and have it run, can I?

Depends on the program, some will copy across and fine perfectly well, some
will not run as they have registry entries pointing them to places, shared
files, .dll files in the windows directory etc. These will need to be
re-installed.

> Another is my preferences, and especially my passwords, for my
> browsers. I use both Internet Explorer and Netscape 7. No problem,
> of course, downloading current versions of those and installing once
> XP is up and running. But how can I preserve my prefs and my
> passwords for those two browsers? Configuring them to get them to
> how/where I wanted them was awful and I'd hate to have to do it again.

Favourites and cookies can be eaily exported via the inbuilt export options
in I.E. or you can just copy the "favourites" folder from the windows
directory. Personally im not sure where the preferences and passwords are
stored.

> Also, simple as it sounds, I have a few "junk" files and folders in my
> C:\Windows\Desktop folder and I don't want to lose them. Can I simply
> copy the \Windows\Desktop folder and its contents from the server
> backup to wherever something like that is supposed to go in XP and
> have a desktop that looks the same?

The windows\desktop folder can be copied to the new \documents and
settings\user\desktop folder however you will have to re-set the view
preferences etc. (Especially as things as the background pictures will not
be on the new pc)

> If there's a good step-by-step reference out there - there has to be,
> right? - for people who've done this before, I'd love to see a link.

Somewhere......

°Mike°

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 18:25:48 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) scrawled:

>I'm moving from Windows 98 to XP.
>
>A friend of mine is letting me bring my computer into his office (he's
>the business owner), and back all my data onto his server. At that
>point, I'm just going to format the hard disk, install XP, and copy
>back my data from his server onto my hard disk.
>
>This way, I'm starting with a virus-free, spyware-free setup, even
>though I think my computer is pretty clean as it is.

No you're not; well, not necessarily, anyway. Worms, viruses
and malware can be copied across with your data.

>I'm concerned about a few things though.
>
>One is my program files. I have the installation disks for most
>(probably not all) my software. However, a lot of other software (all
>of what I own is validly-purchased software) was downloaded from the
>web after paying for it. I don't have the installer files any more,

Why on earth not? Would you throw away a software CD as
soon as you had installed it?

>and of course I never had a disk for them. So how do I reinstall
>those? I can't just copy from the backup of the program file onto an
>XP machine and have it run, can I?

No, you can't. You can, however, re-download the installation files,
or contact the authors.

>Another is my preferences, and especially my passwords, for my
>browsers. I use both Internet Explorer and Netscape 7. No problem,
>of course, downloading current versions of those and installing once
>XP is up and running. But how can I preserve my prefs and my
>passwords for those two browsers? Configuring them to get them to
>how/where I wanted them was awful and I'd hate to have to do it again.

How can it be so awful to configure just two browsers?
As for favorites, use the 'File / Export', 'File / Import' functions.
Your Netscape .prefs file can be copied over, and replaced
once you have it installed on the new system, but IE preferences
are much more complicated, and you will find it much easier
to just reconfigure IE manually.

>Also, simple as it sounds, I have a few "junk" files and folders in my
>C:\Windows\Desktop folder and I don't want to lose them. Can I simply
>copy the \Windows\Desktop folder and its contents from the server
>backup to wherever something like that is supposed to go in XP and
>have a desktop that looks the same?

You can copy the *contents* of the Desktop folder over, but don't
replace it with the old Desktop folder, else you will lose everything
on the new one -- you should NOT keep things on the desktop, by
the way. It is THE most dangerous place to store anything, since
a system crash can result in you losing the lot. Set up a folder
somewhere else, and place a shortcut to that folder on the desktop.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Blinky the Shark

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I'm moving from Windows 98 to XP.

> A friend of mine is letting me bring my computer into his office (he's
> the business owner), and back all my data onto his server. At that
> point, I'm just going to format the hard disk, install XP, and copy
> back my data from his server onto my hard disk.

> This way, I'm starting with a virus-free, spyware-free setup, even

Well, not quite spyware-free; you'll be running WinXP.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
Now killing all posts made with User-Agent G2