Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ms paint stopped working

ms paint stopped working

MJR

Everytime I open ms paint I get the following message" there is not enough
memory or recources to complete this operation. Close some programs and then
try again"

I have gone into msconfig - start up and unchecked all applications. Still
did not work.
I am running windows 98 with 256 mb ram. System resources are 71 percent
free.
Can anyone help please,
thanks Monika

Toolman Tim

"MJR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Everytime I open ms paint I get the following message" there is not enough
| memory or recources to complete this operation. Close some programs and
then
| try again"
|
| I have gone into msconfig - start up and unchecked all applications. Still
| did not work.
| I am running windows 98 with 256 mb ram. System resources are 71 percent
| free.
| Can anyone help please,
| thanks Monika

Sure ... but please check this first: how much hard drive space do you have
available? If you are running low on hard drive space, programs which are
trying to use a swap file will have problems.

If you have plenty of hard drive space, there are things to try.

First off, here's what Microsoft has to say:

If that doesn't help, and you have your Windows setup CD (or files in
C:\windows\options\cabs),

1) uninstall paint - start, control panel, add/remove programs, middle tab
(windows components?), select "accessories", then click on "details. Find
the paint program, remove the checkmark from in front of it, and click okay
(as many times as necessary) to get all those little dialog boxes closed.

2) reinstall paint - same as above, but put the checkmark back in front of
the paint program.

If that still doesn't fix it, this will need a registry hack. Are you
comfortable editing your registry?

Toolman Tim

"MJR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Everytime I open ms paint I get the following message" there is not enough
| memory or recources to complete this operation. Close some programs and
then
| try again"
|
| I have gone into msconfig - start up and unchecked all applications. Still
| did not work.
| I am running windows 98 with 256 mb ram. System resources are 71 percent
| free.
| Can anyone help please,
| thanks Monika

Sure ... but please check this first: how much hard drive space do you have
available? If you are running low on hard drive space, programs which are
trying to use a swap file will have problems.

If you have plenty of hard drive space, there are things to try.

First off, here's what Microsoft has to say:

If that doesn't help, and you have your Windows setup CD (or files in
C:\windows\options\cabs),

1) uninstall paint - start, control panel, add/remove programs, middle tab
(windows components?), select "accessories", then click on "details. Find
the paint program, remove the checkmark from in front of it, and click okay
(as many times as necessary) to get all those little dialog boxes closed.

2) reinstall paint - same as above, but put the checkmark back in front of
the paint program.

If that still doesn't fix it, this will need a registry hack. Are you
comfortable editing your registry?

MJR

Tim, thanks for the advise. I still get the same error message and just now
clicked okay on the error message and the ms pain toolbar appeared on top
and I was able to open my picture file. Don't know why but am able to open
pictures after clicking ok. on the error message.
Monika

news:BCUNd.13145$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "MJR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | Everytime I open ms paint I get the following message" there is not

enough
> | memory or recources to complete this operation. Close some programs and
> then
> | try again"
> |
> | I have gone into msconfig - start up and unchecked all applications.

Still
> | did not work.
> | I am running windows 98 with 256 mb ram. System resources are 71 percent
> | free.
> | Can anyone help please,
> | thanks Monika
> |

> Sure ... but please check this first: how much hard drive space do you

have
> available? If you are running low on hard drive space, programs which are
> trying to use a swap file will have problems.
>
> If you have plenty of hard drive space, there are things to try.
>
> First off, here's what Microsoft has to say:
>
> If that doesn't help, and you have your Windows setup CD (or files in
> C:\windows\options\cabs),
>
> 1) uninstall paint - start, control panel, add/remove programs, middle tab
> (windows components?), select "accessories", then click on "details. Find
> the paint program, remove the checkmark from in front of it, and click

okay
> (as many times as necessary) to get all those little dialog boxes closed.
>
> 2) reinstall paint - same as above, but put the checkmark back in front of
> the paint program.
>
> If that still doesn't fix it, this will need a registry hack. Are you
> comfortable editing your registry?

Toolman Tim

Well, if it's working you might want to leave it alone. If you continue to
have problems, or decide you're fed up with the error message, try the
following 'fix' as well.

Win98 doesn't have "System Restore" so you might want to make a backup of
the registry before doing this.

1.Click Start, click Run, type scanregw, and then click OK.
2.When you receive a prompt to back up the registry, click Yes.
3.When you receive the "Backup complete" message, click OK.

Then try this fix for Paint:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press
ENTER.
2. Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre nt Version\Applets\Paint
3. Right-click the registry key, and then click Delete.

Exit the regedit program, and restart MS Paint. That should have cleared out
any old impertinent data that might have been causing the problem.

"MJR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Tim, thanks for the advise. I still get the same error message and just
now
| clicked okay on the error message and the ms pain toolbar appeared on top
| and I was able to open my picture file. Don't know why but am able to
open
| pictures after clicking ok. on the error message.
| Monika
|

| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:BCUNd.13145$(E-Mail Removed)...
| >
| > "MJR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > | Everytime I open ms paint I get the following message" there is not
| enough
| > | memory or recources to complete this operation. Close some programs
and
| > then
| > | try again"
| > |
| > | I have gone into msconfig - start up and unchecked all applications.
| Still
| > | did not work.
| > | I am running windows 98 with 256 mb ram. System resources are 71
percent
| > | free.
| > | Can anyone help please,
| > | thanks Monika
| > |
| > |
| > Sure ... but please check this first: how much hard drive space do you
| have
| > available? If you are running low on hard drive space, programs which
are
| > trying to use a swap file will have problems.
| >
| > If you have plenty of hard drive space, there are things to try.
| >
| > First off, here's what Microsoft has to say:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;129545
| >
| > If that doesn't help, and you have your Windows setup CD (or files in
| > C:\windows\options\cabs),
| >
| > 1) uninstall paint - start, control panel, add/remove programs, middle
tab
| > (windows components?), select "accessories", then click on "details.
Find
| > the paint program, remove the checkmark from in front of it, and click
| okay
| > (as many times as necessary) to get all those little dialog boxes
closed.

| > 2) reinstall paint - same as above, but put the checkmark back in front
of
| > the paint program.
| >
| > If that still doesn't fix it, this will need a registry hack. Are you
| > comfortable editing your registry?

MJR

Thanks you so much for your advise. I followed the below instructions and
everything works just fine - no more error messages. paint opens up and I'm
ready to go.
Monika

news:O6cOd.18764$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> | > First off, here's what Microsoft has to say:
> | > http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;129545
> | >
> | > If that doesn't help, and you have your Windows setup CD (or files in
> | > C:\windows\options\cabs),
> | >
> | > 1) uninstall paint - start, control panel, add/remove programs, middle
> tab
> | > (windows components?), select "accessories", then click on "details.
> Find
> | > the paint program, remove the checkmark from in front of it, and click
> | okay
> | > (as many times as necessary) to get all those little dialog boxes
> closed.
> | >
> | > 2) reinstall paint - same as above, but put the checkmark back in

front
> of
> | > the paint program.
> | >
> | > If that still doesn't fix it, this will need a registry hack. Are you

Blinky the Shark

MJR wrote:

> Thanks you so much for your advise. I followed the below instructions and
> everything works just fine - no more error messages. paint opens up and I'm
> ready to go.

Now that you've got the immediate issue resolved, you might consider
getting a real graphics application to replace the toy you're using.
Suggestions would be The GIMP (freeware) or the version of the commercial
PaintShopPro that's been released as freeware. Google them.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
Now killing all posts made with User-Agent G2

Toolman Tim

I'm glad I could help!

"MJR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Thanks you so much for your advise. I followed the below instructions and
| everything works just fine - no more error messages. paint opens up and
I'm
| ready to go.
| Monika
|
| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:O6cOd.18764$(E-Mail Removed)...
| > Well, if it's working you might want to leave it alone. If you continue
| > have problems, or decide you're fed up with the error message, try the
| > following 'fix' as well.
| >
| > Win98 doesn't have "System Restore" so you might want to make a backup
of
| > the registry before doing this.
| >
| > 1.Click Start, click Run, type scanregw, and then click OK.
| > 2.When you receive a prompt to back up the registry, click Yes.
| > 3.When you receive the "Backup complete" message, click OK.
| >
| > Then try this fix for Paint:
| >
| > 1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then press
| > ENTER.
| > 2. Locate and click the following registry key:
| > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre nt
Version\Applets\Paint
| > 3. Right-click the registry key, and then click Delete.
| >
| > Exit the regedit program, and restart MS Paint. That should have cleared
| out
| > any old impertinent data that might have been causing the problem.
| >

| > "MJR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > | Tim, thanks for the advise. I still get the same error message and
just
| > now
| > | clicked okay on the error message and the ms pain toolbar appeared on
| top
| > | and I was able to open my picture file. Don't know why but am able to
| > open
| > | pictures after clicking ok. on the error message.
| > | Monika
| > |
| > |
| > | "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > | news:BCUNd.13145$(E-Mail Removed)...

| > | enough
| > and
| > | > |
| > | Still
| > percent
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | have
| > are

| > tab
| > Find
| > | okay
| > closed.

| front
| > of

| > |
| > |

Cheeseman Cheeseman is offline
Junior Member

I dunno.. its been happening to me too. -_-". i have enough space, so i guess it's just a glitch. If i cut out whatever im doing and re open a new paint and paste it on there, it works fine. Sometimes it doesn't, but if you keep cutting out and pasteing it to a new one, it will work eventually. If it doesn't, i dunno whadda say dude. Get a new art program i guess.