Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DNS Server Addresses

DNS Server Addresses

David Barker

Hi can you please list the ip adresses of the primary and secondary dns
servers for btinternet broadband access.
The reason for this is my router a safcom 4114 keeps loosing the dns
servers so i want to hard code them into my tcp-ip settings.

typing nslookup gets me this....

nslookup news bbc.co.uk

C:\>nslookup news.bbc.co.uk
*** Can't find server name for address 10.0.0.2: Non-existent domain
*** Default servers are not available
Server: UnKnown
Address: 10.0.0.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: newswww.bbc.net.uk
Address: 212.58.226.30
Aliases: news.bbc.co.uk

C:\>

Thanks

David Barker

SwissTony

"David Barker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cu7fmp$9h1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi can you please list the ip adresses of the primary and secondary dns
> servers for btinternet broadband access.
> The reason for this is my router a safcom 4114 keeps loosing the dns
> servers so i want to hard code them into my tcp-ip settings.
>
> typing nslookup gets me this....
>
> nslookup news bbc.co.uk
>
> C:\>nslookup news.bbc.co.uk
> *** Can't find server name for address 10.0.0.2: Non-existent domain
> *** Default servers are not available
> Server: UnKnown
> Address: 10.0.0.2
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name: newswww.bbc.net.uk
> Address: 212.58.226.30
> Aliases: news.bbc.co.uk
>

> C:\>
>

> Thanks
>
> David Barker

looking on a few sites, i think these are the correct ones
194.74.65.68
194.74.65.69

If not here are loads some others
BTO
213.120.62.97
213.120.62.98
213.120.62.99
213.120.62.100
213.120.62.101
213.120.62.102
213.120.62.103
213.120.62.104

BT Click
194.72.6.51
194.72.6.52
194.72.6.57
193.113.212.38

BT Internet
194.73.73.94
194.73.73.95

Others
193.113.185.227
193.113.185.228
193.113.185.229
193.113.185.230

Vanguard

"David Barker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cu7fmp$9h1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi can you please list the ip adresses of the primary and secondary
> dns servers for btinternet broadband access.
> The reason for this is my router a safcom 4114 keeps loosing the dns
> servers so i want to hard code them into my tcp-ip settings.
>
> typing nslookup gets me this....
>
> nslookup news bbc.co.uk
>
> C:\>nslookup news.bbc.co.uk
> *** Can't find server name for address 10.0.0.2: Non-existent domain
> *** Default servers are not available
> Server: UnKnown
> Address: 10.0.0.2
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name: newswww.bbc.net.uk
> Address: 212.58.226.30
> Aliases: news.bbc.co.uk

According to the WhoIs domain registration for btinternet.com, they list
the following nameservers (which are the same ones returned from a dig):

DNS1.BTINTERNET.COM 194.73.73.172
DNS2.BTINTERNET.COM 194.73.73.173
DNS3.BTINTERNET.COM 217.32.252.225
DNS4.BTINTERNET.COM 217.32.252.25

An nslookup on each of the above IP names shows the listed IP addresses
are correct. However, the NNTP-Posting-Host in your post shows you at
"host81-154-141-182.range81-154.btcentralplus.com" where you are on
btcentralplus.com has a dig turn up:

ns20.bt.net A (Address) 194.72.6.99
ns21.bt.net A (Address) 217.35.209.187

which differs from the btcentralplus.com's domain registration which
shows their nameservers are:

NS0.BT.NET 217.32.105.90
NS1.BT.NET 217.32.105.91

You could, after all, just go look on your router's configuration web
page to see what *it* got assigned by your ISP'S DHCP server for the
primary and secondary DNS server IP addresses. Also, it is highly
unlikely that your *router* was designed to run as a DNS server. Even
if you run your own DNS server, it is authoritative only for the hosts
within your own domain and any DNS lookup requests for hosts outside
your intranetwork will still be non-authoritative since the DNS request
has to be resolved from some external upstream DNS server. Normally
your router's DHCP server will assign to your computer its IP address as
the DNS server but all it really does is fail the request and pass off
the DNS request to whatever DNS server was configured for it by your
ISP's DHCP server. That's why you get the non-authoritative response
because your router is not the authoritative DNS server supplying the
response but instead emulates a failed lookup and passes in onto the
next upstream DNS server. Your router might even provide a cache of DNS
requests but still it is getting the requests resolved by using some
upstream DNS server. Since the router isn't a DNS server, it will never
be the authoritative responder and always has to pass on the DNS request
to an upstream DNS server. Sounds like your router is working
correctly. If you configure your computer to use the IP addresses of
your ISP's DNS servers rather than use the IP addresses provided by the
DHCP server in your router, you might still get a non-authoritative
response: if the DNS server you specified doesn't have a record then it
has to pass it on up so the eventual response it returns will be
non-authoritative. It depends on what IP address for which DNS server
that you specify.

You ISP probably has DNS servers situated in your area where you connect
to provide some load balancing. They probably don't want their
customers slamming their primary nameservers. So browse to your router
and see what IP addresses it got assigned for DNS servers by your ISP's
DHCP server, and use those. It is likely that the DNS servers assigned
by your ISP aren't authoritative servers, either, other than for hosts
within the ISP's own domain, so you will still end up with their DNS
server failing the request and then passing it up to the next one; see
http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/lin...dns-static.htm. Folks over at
comp.protocols.dns.std can probably give a more exact answer as to what
is a non-authoritative response to a DNS request.