Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Folders copied to Briefcase report as Empty

Folders copied to Briefcase report as Empty

Karl Engel

Briefcase has never worked properly on my XP Home laptop - though it works
unfalteringly on my W98SP2 desktop.

When I drag a folder into a new briefcase it says all the files are up to
date, yet the folder is empty. With certain folders it does copy across a
small proportion only of the files in the folder

It seems to work if I copy only files & not any folders, ie if one of those
files is modified at the source the change will be detected & updated, but
Briefcase is really only useful to me as a means of comparing folders -
while occasionally individual files may change, it's more likely new ones
will have been created within a folder that I need to keep synchronised.

Some research reveals this is a bug that can occur with compressed NTFS
drives, but my drives, while NTFS, aren't compressed. BTW, this happens
across or within two partitions on my laptop HD and an external HDD.

I see there are a few people reporting this same issue in other newsgroups,
but all those messages have no replies AFAICS