Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Reload disks.

Reload disks.

Hez

My computer supplier sent a reload disk with my computer. I would like to
load windows backup. I do not have a copy of XP, just the reload disk. Can I
download backup or do i need a xp disk? Or could someone suggest a good
freeware backup program?
Only serious ,helpful answerers need reply.
Flippant "wits" could you please take it elsewhere.
Many Thanks in advance

philo

"Hez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OeaNd.23068$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> My computer supplier sent a reload disk with my computer. I would like to
> load windows backup. I do not have a copy of XP, just the reload disk. Can
> I download backup or do i need a xp disk? Or could someone suggest a good
> freeware backup program?

to restore windows all you need is the supplied "reload" disk...
if there is any data on your disk that you need...be sure to back it up
first...
you do not need a backup program...just a cd burner

Hez

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Hez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OeaNd.23068$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> My computer supplier sent a reload disk with my computer. I would like to
>> load windows backup. I do not have a copy of XP, just the reload disk.
>> Can I download backup or do i need a xp disk? Or could someone suggest a
>> good freeware backup program?
>>

> to restore windows all you need is the supplied "reload" disk...
> if there is any data on your disk that you need...be sure to back it up
> first...
> you do not need a backup program...just a cd burner

Sorry, I think you've misunderstood. My windows install is fine. I would
like to install the Windows "back up" program that comes in the "valueadd"
folder on a WinXP CD rom. Only I haven't one of those, I have a reload disk.
Many many thanks for the reply, anyhow.

jda^fx

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 20:55:18 GMT, "Hez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Hez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:OeaNd.23068$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> My computer supplier sent a reload disk with my computer. I would like to
>>> load windows backup. I do not have a copy of XP, just the reload disk.
>>> Can I download backup or do i need a xp disk? Or could someone suggest a
>>> good freeware backup program?
>>>

>> to restore windows all you need is the supplied "reload" disk...
>> if there is any data on your disk that you need...be sure to back it up
>> first...
>> you do not need a backup program...just a cd burner
>>

>Sorry, I think you've misunderstood. My windows install is fine. I would
>like to install the Windows "back up" program that comes in the "valueadd"
>folder on a WinXP CD rom. Only I haven't one of those, I have a reload disk.
>Many many thanks for the reply, anyhow.

That's the problem when all you have are recovery cd's and not a real
Windows cd. You don't have Windows XP but Windows XP LE because you
can not install all the addons that there is on an standard Windows
cd. If you can't get it on Microsofts website or get it from where you
bought the comp, then you have to get hold of a windows cd

--
jda^fx

Hez

"jda^fx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 20:55:18 GMT, "Hez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Hez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:OeaNd.23068$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>>

>>> to restore windows all you need is the supplied "reload" disk...
>>> if there is any data on your disk that you need...be sure to back it up
>>> first...
>>> you do not need a backup program...just a cd burner
>>>

>>Sorry, I think you've misunderstood. My windows install is fine. I would
>>like to install the Windows "back up" program that comes in the "valueadd"
>>folder on a WinXP CD rom. Only I haven't one of those, I have a reload
>>disk.
>>Many many thanks for the reply, anyhow.
>>

> That's the problem when all you have are recovery cd's and not a real
> Windows cd. You don't have Windows XP but Windows XP LE because you
> can not install all the addons that there is on an standard Windows
> cd. If you can't get it on Microsofts website or get it from where you
> bought the comp, then you have to get hold of a windows cd
>
> --
> jda^fx

Many Thanks.

Toolman Tim

d00d! It's right here:
www.onecomputerguy.com/software/ntbackup.msi

"Hez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EFaNd.33679$(E-Mail Removed) k...

| "jda^fx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 20:55:18 GMT, "Hez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
| >

| >>"philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| >>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

| >>Sorry, I think you've misunderstood. My windows install is fine. I would
| >>like to install the Windows "back up" program that comes in the
"valueadd"
| >>folder on a WinXP CD rom. Only I haven't one of those, I have a reload
| >>disk.
| >>Many many thanks for the reply, anyhow.
| >>

| > That's the problem when all you have are recovery cd's and not a real
| > Windows cd. You don't have Windows XP but Windows XP LE because you
| > can not install all the addons that there is on an standard Windows
| > cd. If you can't get it on Microsofts website or get it from where you
| > bought the comp, then you have to get hold of a windows cd
| >
| > --
| > jda^fx
|
| Many Thanks.

philo

"Hez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WoaNd.23203$(E-Mail Removed) k...

> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Hez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:OeaNd.23068$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> My computer supplier sent a reload disk with my computer. I would like
>>> to load windows backup. I do not have a copy of XP, just the reload
>>> disk. Can I download backup or do i need a xp disk? Or could someone
>>> suggest a good freeware backup program?
>>>

>> to restore windows all you need is the supplied "reload" disk...
>> if there is any data on your disk that you need...be sure to back it up
>> first...
>> you do not need a backup program...just a cd burner
>>

> Sorry, I think you've misunderstood. My windows install is fine. I would
> like to install the Windows "back up" program that comes in the "valueadd"
> folder on a WinXP CD rom. Only I haven't one of those, I have a reload
> disk.
> Many many thanks for the reply, anyhow.

ok
i guess i missed your question
but at any rate...the microsoft backup program is not a very good one anyway
however... XP does have the ability to burn a cd with no other software
needed...
if you just have some data you need to backup...

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

| "Hez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:WoaNd.23203$(E-Mail Removed) k...
| >
| > "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| >>
| >> "Hez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| >> news:OeaNd.23068$(E-Mail Removed) ...
| >>>

| >> to restore windows all you need is the supplied "reload" disk...
| >> if there is any data on your disk that you need...be sure to back it up
| >> first...
| >> you do not need a backup program...just a cd burner
| >>
| > Sorry, I think you've misunderstood. My windows install is fine. I would
| > like to install the Windows "back up" program that comes in the
"valueadd"
| > folder on a WinXP CD rom. Only I haven't one of those, I have a reload
| > disk.
| > Many many thanks for the reply, anyhow.
| >

| ok
| i guess i missed your question
| but at any rate...the microsoft backup program is not a very good one
anyway

It's actually okay for most things - data selection, scheduling, etc. The
only thing I find missing is the ability to write to CDRW and (AFAIK) tape.
I've been using Stompsoft's Backup MyPC since it was available from Veritas
because it has support for my tape drive. Plus Backup MyPC says it has the
ability to backup "in use" files...but I've not put it to the test <g>