Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > BIOS Update and Formatting the Drive

BIOS Update and Formatting the Drive

Northern Girl

Will formatting the hard drive remove the BIOS Update? I have a 40GB
hard drive but it is only recognized at 2GB. I'm running an IBM 300PL
M/T 6862-3OU.

Any help would be appreciated.

°Mike°

No, it won't. How about giving some more details
of your system, and how you partitioned/formatted
your drive?

On 2 Feb 2005 11:58:00 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed). com>
Northern Girl scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Northern Girl

Here is more information: Windows 98SE, Pentium II 350, 192MB RAM, BIOS
Date is 12/07/98.

Drive 0 (C shows in BIOS as 4224MB - IDE Read Prefetch - Disable
Drive 1 (D shows in BIOS as 33822MB - IDE Read Prefetch - Disable

When in Windows and right-clicking on C: it shows that it's a 3.91GB
Hard Drive but it's actually a 7.9GB Hard Drive.

When in Windows and right-clicking on D: it show that it's a 1.99 GB
Hard Drive but it's actually a 40GB Hard Drive.

Formatting C: was accomplished by using the windows 98 Boot Disk and
using this command: format c:

Formatting D: was accomplished by right-clicking on the drive in "My
Computer" and using the Format command.

°Mike°

Are you sure that the drives were partitioned correctly?
Also, make sure that they are set to auto detect in the
BIOS.

On 2 Feb 2005 13:05:45 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>
Northern Girl scrawled:

>Here is more information: Windows 98SE, Pentium II 350, 192MB RAM, BIOS
>Date is 12/07/98.
>
>Drive 0 (C shows in BIOS as 4224MB - IDE Read Prefetch - Disable
>Drive 1 (D shows in BIOS as 33822MB - IDE Read Prefetch - Disable
>
>When in Windows and right-clicking on C: it shows that it's a 3.91GB
>Hard Drive but it's actually a 7.9GB Hard Drive.
>
>When in Windows and right-clicking on D: it show that it's a 1.99 GB
>Hard Drive but it's actually a 40GB Hard Drive.
>
>Formatting C: was accomplished by using the windows 98 Boot Disk and
>using this command: format c:
>
>Formatting D: was accomplished by right-clicking on the drive in "My
>Computer" and using the Format command.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Mellowed

If I may jump in here briefly.

My original computer was the same vintage as yours. It was as Pentium II
400MHz from Gateway. My HD crashed and I replaced it with a 40GB. I also
updated the Bios by downloading the latest from Gateway. Now I have one
partition of 40GB. Life is easy and sweet with the new BIOS download. Now,
I am very 'Green' on these issues, however, I believe getting the latest
BIOS is essential to use your new HD. I also think it is possible to screw
up your BIOS during the reprogramming. As a precautionary measure I would
suggest that you take it to a PC Shop and let them perform this operation.
The rest of the process if easy. i.e. re-partitioning, re-formatting.

The other responders are far more proficient in these matters. At this
moment 'Mike' should be sleeping. However, he would surely have more
professional advise than I can offer.

"Northern Girl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Here is more information: Windows 98SE, Pentium II 350, 192MB RAM, BIOS
> Date is 12/07/98.
>
> Drive 0 (C shows in BIOS as 4224MB - IDE Read Prefetch - Disable
> Drive 1 (D shows in BIOS as 33822MB - IDE Read Prefetch - Disable
>
> When in Windows and right-clicking on C: it shows that it's a 3.91GB
> Hard Drive but it's actually a 7.9GB Hard Drive.
>
> When in Windows and right-clicking on D: it show that it's a 1.99 GB
> Hard Drive but it's actually a 40GB Hard Drive.
>
> Formatting C: was accomplished by using the windows 98 Boot Disk and
> using this command: format c:
>
> Formatting D: was accomplished by right-clicking on the drive in "My
> Computer" and using the Format command.

Northern Girl

I must reply that my problem was a very stupid oversight. I forgot to
fdisk first.

°Mike°

D'oh!

On 3 Feb 2005 13:22:20 -0800, in