Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Syntap

Syntap

Rock

My daughters friend is unable to log on to AOL.
She has run an old version of Norton Anti Virus which is showing the syntap
virus present.
She is unable to remove or quarantine the syntap so what advise can I pass
on.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:21:07 GMT, "Rock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> My daughters friend is unable to log on to AOL.
|> She has run an old version of Norton Anti Virus which is showing the syntap
|> virus present.
|> She is unable to remove or quarantine the syntap so what advise can I pass
|> on.

I remember that, not syntax huh

Download and run Process Explorer
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../procexp.shtml

Double click on the process and read it's image. This will tell you what
and how it's being started. Stop the process and delete or rename the
file and or it's parent file, s' how I'd start.

It has to be said tho, being unable to connect to AOL isn't really a bad
thing

--
http://www.mmegi.bw/2005/January/Mon...540111175.html

°Mike°

Free Online Antivirus scanners:
==================
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp
http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See **** below.]
http://www.drweb-online.com/en/online_check.asp
http://www.virusoffice.com/clinic/index.cfm

**** Caveat:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archiv...3-07/0240.html

Anti-virus programs:
--------------------
KAV (Kaspersky)
http://www.kaspersky.com/

Sophos
http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:21:07 GMT, in
<nMPLd.1674$(E-Mail Removed)>
Rock scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Rock

These are all online anti virus programmes the problem is she is unable to
get online

> Free Online Antivirus scanners:
> ==================
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp
> http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus
> http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virusscan.aspx
> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/activescan.asp
> http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp
> http://commandondemand.com/eval/index.cfm
> http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See **** below.]
> http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php
> http://www.drweb-online.com/en/online_check.asp
> http://www.pcpitstop.com/antivirus/default.asp
> http://scan.sygatetech.com/prestealthscan.html
> http://www.virusoffice.com/clinic/index.cfm
>
> **** Caveat:
> http://archives.neohapsis.com/archiv...3-07/0240.html
>

> Anti-virus programs:
> --------------------
> KAV (Kaspersky)
> http://www.kaspersky.com/
>
> Sophos
> http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/
>

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:21:07 GMT, in
> <nMPLd.1674$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Rock scrawled:
>
> >My daughters friend is unable to log on to AOL.
> >She has run an old version of Norton Anti Virus which is showing the

syntap
> >virus present.
> >She is unable to remove or quarantine the syntap so what advise can I

pass
> >on.
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

That is not what you said. You said that she was unable
to log on to AOHell. You also said that she was using
an old version of Norton AV, which is why I included
two links to AV software -- she should upgrade her out
of date AV protection.

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:26:06 GMT, in
<iJQLd.258$(E-Mail Removed)>
Rock scrawled:

>These are all online anti virus programmes the problem is she is unable to
>get online

>> Free Online Antivirus scanners:
>> ==================

<snip>

>> Anti-virus programs:
>> --------------------
>> KAV (Kaspersky)
>> http://www.kaspersky.com/
>>
>> Sophos
>> http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Rock

How can she upgrade if she cant get on line.
Am I able to download an anti virus programme on a floppy which will get rid
of her virus and give it to her, what is the santap virus

> That is not what you said. You said that she was unable
> to log on to AOHell. You also said that she was using
> an old version of Norton AV, which is why I included
> two links to AV software -- she should upgrade her out
> of date AV protection.
>

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:26:06 GMT, in
> <iJQLd.258$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Rock scrawled:
>
> >These are all online anti virus programmes the problem is she is unable

> >get online
> >

> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> Free Online Antivirus scanners:
> >> ==================

> <snip>
>
> >> Anti-virus programs:
> >> --------------------
> >> KAV (Kaspersky)
> >> http://www.kaspersky.com/
> >>
> >> Sophos
> >> http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

> <snip>
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:10:34 GMT, in
<efSLd.726$(E-Mail Removed)>
Rock scrawled:

>How can she upgrade if she cant get on line.

You don't necessarily need to be online to upgrade.
You can contact Kaspersky UK directly for your
daughter's friend. They will be able to advise you.

Kaspersky Lab UK
Culham Innovation Centre,
D5 Culham Science Centre,
Abingdon
OX14 3DB

Email:
Sales Information: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Phone numbers:
General Information: 870 011 3461
Fax: 870 011 3465
Technical Support Service: 870 011 3464

>Am I able to download an anti virus programme on a
>floppy which will get rid of her virus and give it to her,

You would need to put it on a CD, not a floppy.

>what is the santap virus

Never heard of it. What is the EXACT message that
the old version of Norton gives? And please be
precise in any spellings.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Rock

Are you saying she will have to buy a new anti virus programme

> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:10:34 GMT, in
> <efSLd.726$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Rock scrawled:
>
> >How can she upgrade if she cant get on line.

> You don't necessarily need to be online to upgrade.
> You can contact Kaspersky UK directly for your
> daughter's friend. They will be able to advise you.
>
> Kaspersky Lab UK
> Culham Innovation Centre,
> D5 Culham Science Centre,
> Abingdon
> OX14 3DB
>
> Email:
> Sales Information: (E-Mail Removed)
>
> Phone numbers:
> General Information: 870 011 3461
> Fax: 870 011 3465
> Technical Support Service: 870 011 3464
>

> >Am I able to download an anti virus programme on a
> >floppy which will get rid of her virus and give it to her,

> You would need to put it on a CD, not a floppy.
>
> >what is the santap virus

> Never heard of it. What is the EXACT message that
> the old version of Norton gives? And please be
> precise in any spellings.
>
> <snip>
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

It was you that said she has "an old version of Norton Antivirus".
Using an old version is rather silly, and is asking for problems
just like this. Antivirus software should be kept up to date, and
the virus databases should also be updated AT LEAST once per
day.

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:25:58 GMT, in
<WlTLd.461$(E-Mail Removed)>
Rock scrawled:

>Are you saying she will have to buy a new anti virus programme

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Rock

Yes I know all that but this is a young girl of 16 from a broken home who is
not computer savvy.
Even if she is using an old version of Norton which is picking up the santap
should at least it not quarantine the virus if it is identifying it.

Can anyone tell me what the syntap virus does.