Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Still having problems with Dial-Up on Service Pack 2

Still having problems with Dial-Up on Service Pack 2

Vic

I cannot go back to service pack 1 because this copy of windows comes with
SP2. I have installed both Firefox and Netscape and the only difference is
that I get an error message from the both firefox and netscape saying that
the document has no data. Just to try to troubleshoot I enabled Internet
Connection Sharing and the Windows 98 SE system can access the Internet with
no trouble by going thru ICS on the Win XP Pro SP2 system. I tried
uninstalling all the AntiVirus (I had Norton System Works 2004) but I was
having this problem before I installed it, and I am still having this
problem after I uninstalled it. I also installed the Java runtime 1.05 and
the only thing I can find by surfing Microsoft was a .NET framework fix
Microsoft knowledge base article 867460, I installed the following from the
Microsoft download center

The system runs beautifully except for the problem of connecting to some of
these websites. Still unable to access msn.com, Microsoft.com, sun.com,
Peachtree.com Any Ideas?

Here are the complete system specs:
Intel Prescott P4HT 3.0 GHz
Intel D915GAVL Motherboard
256 x 2 = 512MB Total (dual channeled) ram
Seagate ST380013AS 80GB SATA Hard Drive
Alps 1.44MB Floppy
Lite-On 16x52x32x52 Combo Drive
USR PCI Dial-Up Modem
Using the Integrated Video/Audio/LAN
Windows XP Pro SP2
Norton System Works 2004
Nero OEM Burning Rom
Power DVD 5.0
Windows Media Player 10
Firefox 1.0
Netscape 7.2
Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.05
Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3
Office XP Professional

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 17:34:00 -0600, "Vic"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a system that uses a local dial up internet provider. The problem I
>am having is now that I have installed service pack 2 (I am running XP
>Professional) I can not access some websites. Most noticeably is msn.com,
>Microsoft.com, windowsupdate.com, sun.com, java.com also when I try and
>download a file sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. MSN Messenger
>will not log in it and IE seem to just stop and time out, no error message
>is displayed except IE will eventually give the HTTP 404 error message. I
>can go to yahoo.com, google.com, download.com, wheresgeorge.com. Now I have
>turned off the pop-up stopper and firewall and reset the Internet explorer
>settings and ran a virus check with Norton AntiVirus and it was already
>fully updated. I used ad-aware se personal 1.05 and spybot search &
>destroy1.3 and they found a couple of files but really nothing to speak of
>(couple of cookies). System is running great except for this problem.
>Norton, Spybot and adaware had no trouble connecting or downloading

updates.

>Any ideas?

Rollback to SP1 and see if that fixes it. If so, send the above and
any other info you might think pertinent to M$. Load another browser
(non IE based such as Mozilla or Firefox) and see if that has the same
issues. Research the issue to discover what you can. If that browser
change fixes it, be SURE to let Billy's Wunderkids know about it.
hehe

Swill

--
"Local Power Company, how may I assist you today?"

"My power is going out."

"Have all your lights gone?"

"No, just the one in the refrigerator."

www.userfriendly.org