Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > HDD

jessiejames

Just got a new HP with a Maxtor 160GB HDD.
Have a WD 80GB HDD with 4 partitions thatI want to use Ghost to
transfer the 80GB to the 160GB.
Will Ghost transfer the 4 partitions and make the 160 into 4 equel
partitions or just divide the 160 into 4 equel partitions ?
In the old days we made a small parition for the os then the rest for
whatever now my C:/ drive has about as many files as my other
partitions& I don"t install anything on C:/ but they are there nonthe
less.Is it better to have one partition or bust it up ?
Thanks for any help

Frederic

Ghost will try to optimize the space based on the limitations of the file
systems already there.
You didn't mention the operating system but windows xp is the standard
nowadays.
partitioning a drive prevents fragmentation but if you're using NTFS file
system you won't see much benefit because fragmentation causes less loss of
performance.

I would suggest you create a 20gig partition for your operation system and
apps, and an additional partition for the rest

--
Frederic
MCP, IT Project+, i-Net+, CIW Associate, A+

news:(E-Mail Removed)...