Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Daisy-chaining switch routers...

Daisy-chaining switch routers...

Nozza

I currently have a Linksys BEFSR41 switch-router connected to a cable
modem. It has four ports on the back, and now has 4 PCs connected.

I would like to add a wireless connection. If I get something like a
wireless switch router it will have the wireless connection, plus an
extra four "wired" ports. If I connect the wireless switch router to
the back of the existing switch router, will network traffic work
normally - will the ports on the back of the second router work
normally, or wont it work?

Hints tips and advice welcome.

Noz
--
Email (ROT13)

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Nozza wrote:
> I currently have a Linksys BEFSR41 switch-router connected to a cable
> modem. It has four ports on the back, and now has 4 PCs connected.
>
> I would like to add a wireless connection. If I get something like a
> wireless switch router it will have the wireless connection, plus an
> extra four "wired" ports. If I connect the wireless switch router to
> the back of the existing switch router, will network traffic work
> normally - will the ports on the back of the second router work
> normally, or wont it work?
>
> Hints tips and advice welcome.
>
> Noz

Since you already have a router you'd be better off with a wireless
access point or at least configure your wireless router as a WAP.

why?

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 19:28:01 +0000, Nozza wrote:

>I currently have a Linksys BEFSR41 switch-router connected to a cable
>modem. It has four ports on the back, and now has 4 PCs connected.
>
>I would like to add a wireless connection. If I get something like a
>wireless switch router it will have the wireless connection, plus an
>extra four "wired" ports. If I connect the wireless switch router to

Yes, you set it up as an wireless access point (WAP). Remove 1 of the
PCs from the Linksys and plug in the PC in the WAP. The unused port on
the Linksys connects to the WAP.

You can even do this,
Existing router -> Wireless AP(single port) -> (another room) Wireless
Router / 4 port (as AP) this gives multiple switched ports in 2 rooms,
handy for networked printing.

>the back of the existing switch router, will network traffic work
>normally - will the ports on the back of the second router work

It even works as 2 different networks, I have a mixed Netgear / Belkin
which default to 2 different IP ranges, although the present setup isn't
that anymore.

>normally, or wont it work?

It works fine if you follow the setup notes.

<snip>

Me

Nozza

Thanks for the replies - muchly appreciated.

Noz
--
Email (ROT13)
(E-Mail Removed)