Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cant boot into Safe Mode

Cant boot into Safe Mode

frankg

After updating XP pro on friday to service pack 2 ,we cant boot into
windows. Windows provides 'an apology' and a few options such as booting
into Safe mode but the sceen is black with safe mode in the corners but no
Start button to enable getting us to System Restore or any other recovery
tools. Can someone help guide out of this mess
thanks

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

frankg wrote:
> After updating XP pro on friday to service pack 2 ,we cant boot into
> windows. Windows provides 'an apology' and a few options such as booting
> into Safe mode but the sceen is black with safe mode in the corners but no
> Start button to enable getting us to System Restore or any other recovery
> tools. Can someone help guide out of this mess
> thanks

If you let it stay on safe mode long enough to be sure it's not just
pokey in starting up, then you can try booting with an XP CD, go to
repair and at the command prompt, type in fixboot and fixmbr.

frankg

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> frankg wrote:
> > After updating XP pro on friday to service pack 2 ,we cant boot into
> > windows. Windows provides 'an apology' and a few options such as booting
> > into Safe mode but the sceen is black with safe mode in the corners but

no
> > Start button to enable getting us to System Restore or any other

recovery
> > tools. Can someone help guide out of this mess
> > thanks

> If you let it stay on safe mode long enough to be sure it's not just
> pokey in starting up, then you can try booting with an XP CD, go to
> repair and at the command prompt, type in fixboot and fixmbr.

Are you saying if we leave it on the "not working" safemode screen it may
"kick in and begin working" and provide the Start button to enable us to get
to system restore ?

Alternatively, insert the xp cd, choose to repair xp, and then we'll be
given the command prompt automatically ? - then first try 'fixboot' & enter.
And try restarting, and if that does not work then try 'fixmbr' ?

right now the only way of restarting is to pull the powe cord and plug it
back in

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

frankg wrote:
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>frankg wrote:
>>
>>>After updating XP pro on friday to service pack 2 ,we cant boot into
>>>windows. Windows provides 'an apology' and a few options such as booting
>>>into Safe mode but the sceen is black with safe mode in the corners but

> no
>
>>>Start button to enable getting us to System Restore or any other

> recovery
>
>>>tools. Can someone help guide out of this mess
>>>thanks

>>If you let it stay on safe mode long enough to be sure it's not just
>>pokey in starting up, then you can try booting with an XP CD, go to
>>repair and at the command prompt, type in fixboot and fixmbr.

> Are you saying if we leave it on the "not working" safemode screen it may
> "kick in and begin working" and provide the Start button to enable us to get
> to system restore ?
>
> Alternatively, insert the xp cd, choose to repair xp, and then we'll be
> given the command prompt automatically ? - then first try 'fixboot' & enter.
> And try restarting, and if that does not work then try 'fixmbr' ?
>
> right now the only way of restarting is to pull the powe cord and plug it
> back in

You can hold in the on/off switch for 5 seconds and it will work. And
I'm not saying if you leave it in "non-working" safe mode for several
days it will start working, but I have seen it take an inordinate amount
of time to start loading the desktop before. And if you get to the
command prompt in the repair console, run fixboot and fixmbr both in the
same session before restarting.

frankg

booting

but

> > no

> > recovery

> >>If you let it stay on safe mode long enough to be sure it's not just
> >>pokey in starting up, then you can try booting with an XP CD, go to
> >>repair and at the command prompt, type in fixboot and fixmbr.

> > Are you saying if we leave it on the "not working" safemode screen it

may
> > "kick in and begin working" and provide the Start button to enable us to

get
> > to system restore ?
> >
> > Alternatively, insert the xp cd, choose to repair xp, and then we'll be
> > given the command prompt automatically ? - then first try 'fixboot' &

enter.
> > And try restarting, and if that does not work then try 'fixmbr' ?
> >
> > right now the only way of restarting is to pull the powe cord and plug

it
> > back in

> You can hold in the on/off switch for 5 seconds and it will work. And
> I'm not saying if you leave it in "non-working" safe mode for several
> days it will start working, but I have seen it take an inordinate amount
> of time to start loading the desktop before. And if you get to the
> command prompt in the repair console, run fixboot and fixmbr both in the
> same session before restarting.

OK thanks for the directions - we'll try that and let you know (tomorrow)
if it worked

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

frankg wrote:
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>frankg wrote:
>>
>>>After updating XP pro on friday to service pack 2 ,we cant boot into
>>>windows. Windows provides 'an apology' and a few options such as booting
>>>into Safe mode but the sceen is black with safe mode in the corners but

> no
>
>>>Start button to enable getting us to System Restore or any other

> recovery
>
>>>tools. Can someone help guide out of this mess
>>>thanks

>>If you let it stay on safe mode long enough to be sure it's not just
>>pokey in starting up, then you can try booting with an XP CD, go to
>>repair and at the command prompt, type in fixboot and fixmbr.

> Are you saying if we leave it on the "not working" safemode screen it may
> "kick in and begin working" and provide the Start button to enable us to get
> to system restore ?
>
> Alternatively, insert the xp cd, choose to repair xp, and then we'll be
> given the command prompt automatically ? - then first try 'fixboot' & enter.
> And try restarting, and if that does not work then try 'fixmbr' ?
>
> right now the only way of restarting is to pull the powe cord and plug it
> back in

Have you tried F8 on startup for the boot menu and choose "Last known
good configuration"?

Toolman Tim

"frankg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsF9Ld.5$(E-Mail Removed)...
| After updating XP pro on friday to service pack 2 ,we cant boot into
| windows. Windows provides 'an apology' and a few options such as booting
| into Safe mode but the sceen is black with safe mode in the corners but
no
| Start button to enable getting us to System Restore or any other recovery
| tools. Can someone help guide out of this mess
| thanks

Roger's given some excellent tips - here's one more: Recovery Console (let
the XP CD boot into setup - choose repair from the menu). I had to do that
this morning (Norton AV crashed...killed the guys computer) - here's a link
to help you with what to try from there:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...c_str_bjid.asp

or

http://tinyurl.com/29y9c

if the link is broken.

frankg

booting

but

> > no

> > recovery

> >>If you let it stay on safe mode long enough to be sure it's not just
> >>pokey in starting up, then you can try booting with an XP CD, go to
> >>repair and at the command prompt, type in fixboot and fixmbr.

> > Are you saying if we leave it on the "not working" safemode screen it

may
> > "kick in and begin working" and provide the Start button to enable us to

get
> > to system restore ?
> >
> > Alternatively, insert the xp cd, choose to repair xp, and then we'll be
> > given the command prompt automatically ? - then first try 'fixboot' &

enter.
> > And try restarting, and if that does not work then try 'fixmbr' ?
> >
> > right now the only way of restarting is to pull the powe cord and plug

it
> > back in

> Have you tried F8 on startup for the boot menu and choose "Last known
> good configuration"?

Yes. No luck

frankg

Unfortunately we cant get to the CD's Repair option or command prompt. The
cd drive does not seem accessible. Tried inserting it and then starting and
also after starting - no luck