Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > External modem choice - serial or USB?

External modem choice - serial or USB?

notme

I have no spare PCI slots and need one for another card I wish to
install. I am considering removing my internal 56k modem card to free
up a slot.

As a replacement, I am looking to buy a second-hand external 56k modem
but I wonder if anyone can recommend whether I should chose a serial
or USB modem interface? Is there a difference in their performance -
does one connection suffer more problems than the other?

I am running XP Pro and have version 1.0 USB ports only.
Thanks for any advice.

Jim

I am considering upgrading my steam powered horseless carriage to a vehicle
with a internal combustion engine. Could anybody inform me on how to do this
becuase I'm as thick as a f*%King hedgehog trying to shag a wirebrush.

Serial will not be built into motherboards soon, and as for USB 1 and
56k(48k) modems, dont bother. Its time to consider broadband.
Thats all I can say. ITS ME!.

"notme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have no spare PCI slots and need one for another card I wish to
> install. I am considering removing my internal 56k modem card to free
> up a slot.
>
> As a replacement, I am looking to buy a second-hand external 56k modem
> but I wonder if anyone can recommend whether I should chose a serial
> or USB modem interface? Is there a difference in their performance -
> does one connection suffer more problems than the other?
>
> I am running XP Pro and have version 1.0 USB ports only.
> Thanks for any advice.

Plato

notme wrote:

> As a replacement, I am looking to buy a second-hand external 56k modem
> but I wonder if anyone can recommend whether I should chose a serial
> or USB modem interface? Is there a difference in their performance -
> does one connection suffer more problems than the other?

Go serial.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Richard

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:36:44 +1300 notme wrote:

> I have no spare PCI slots and need one for another card I wish to
> install. I am considering removing my internal 56k modem card to free
> up a slot.

> As a replacement, I am looking to buy a second-hand external 56k modem
> but I wonder if anyone can recommend whether I should chose a serial
> or USB modem interface? Is there a difference in their performance -
> does one connection suffer more problems than the other?

> I am running XP Pro and have version 1.0 USB ports only.
> Thanks for any advice.

Go with usb. Makes life easier.

Jim Berwick

"Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Go with usb. Makes life easier.

Easier for who?

TJ. Snow

Jim expressed precisely :
> I am considering upgrading my steam powered horseless carriage to a vehicle
> with a internal combustion engine. Could anybody inform me on how to do this
> becuase I'm as thick as a f*%King hedgehog trying to shag a wirebrush.

How about a thick dick up your arse faggot!!

--
Is Sean a person, or a digital creation?

Governor Swill

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:36:44 +1300, notme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have no spare PCI slots and need one for another card I wish to
>install. I am considering removing my internal 56k modem card to free
>up a slot.
>
>As a replacement, I am looking to buy a second-hand external 56k modem
>but I wonder if anyone can recommend whether I should chose a serial
>or USB modem interface? Is there a difference in their performance -
>does one connection suffer more problems than the other?
>
>I am running XP Pro and have version 1.0 USB ports only.
>Thanks for any advice.

Time to start working in earnest on that system upgrade. Use whatever
works. You won't be needing that modem on your next PC.

Swill

--
"Local Power Company, how may I assist you today?"

"My power is going out."

"Have all your lights gone?"

"No, just the one in the refrigerator."

www.userfriendly.org

BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ

notme wrote:

> I have no spare PCI slots and need one for another card I wish to
> install. I am considering removing my internal 56k modem card to free
> up a slot.
>
> As a replacement, I am looking to buy a second-hand external 56k modem
> but I wonder if anyone can recommend whether I should chose a serial
> or USB modem interface? Is there a difference in their performance -
> does one connection suffer more problems than the other?
>
> I am running XP Pro and have version 1.0 USB ports only.
> Thanks for any advice.

I agree with Plato - Serial.

BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
(BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

jp10558

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:36:44 +1300, notme wrote:

> I have no spare PCI slots and need one for another card I wish to
> install. I am considering removing my internal 56k modem card to free
> up a slot.
>
> As a replacement, I am looking to buy a second-hand external 56k modem
> but I wonder if anyone can recommend whether I should chose a serial
> or USB modem interface? Is there a difference in their performance -
> does one connection suffer more problems than the other?
>
> I am running XP Pro and have version 1.0 USB ports only.
> Thanks for any advice.

I've found serial quite reliable.