Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dead Power Supply and Motherboard...

Dead Power Supply and Motherboard...

I have an old "Curtis Command Center" surge protector. Last week my computer
power supply went bad, as did the motherboard. My question is this, do surge
protectors degrade with time? Should I buy a new surge protector??
Thanks.
~Q

foad

sure, buy a new surge protector. that will most definetly bring your dead
power supply and mother board back to life. what a nimrod.

"foad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FfAKd.414$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> sure, buy a new surge protector. that will most definetly bring your dead
> power supply and mother board back to life. what a nimrod.

Please don't "answer" my posts.

Toolman Tim

"Q" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wNyKd.11226$(E-Mail Removed) m...
|I have an old "Curtis Command Center" surge protector. Last week my
computer
| power supply went bad, as did the motherboard. My question is this, do
surge
| protectors degrade with time? Should I buy a new surge protector??
| Thanks.
| ~Q

Yes. Surge protectors will go bad. The more surges they stop, the sooner
they fail to work correctly. Replace it? Maybe. It could be fine though. In
reality, many power supplies fail without any help from a bad surge
protector. In fact, even motherboards can fail. And I've had motherboards
kill power supplies, and vice versa.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:12:45 GMT, "Q" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> I have an old "Curtis Command Center" surge protector. Last week my computer
|> power supply went bad, as did the motherboard. My question is this, do surge
|> protectors degrade with time? Should I buy a new surge protector??

Surge Protectors act like an electrical sponge, absorbing dangerous
excess voltage and preventing most of it from reaching your sensitive
equipment. Like a sponge, surge protectors have a limited capacity to
absorb. Once the capacity is reached, the unit is no longer protecting
your equipment and it should be replaced.

http://www.woods.com/consumerservice/hlp5.asp

What the means is that the chips direct spike's to ground, too many or a
really good one will cause the chips to ground out. The only fix is
either replace the chips or surge protector.

Q wrote:

> I have an old "Curtis Command Center" surge protector. Last week my
> computer power supply went bad, as did the motherboard. My question is
> this, do surge protectors degrade with time? Should I buy a new surge
> protector?? Thanks.
> ~Q

Lightening strike energy can still pass through the surge
protector. But its not that you need to worry about.
Power supplies build up dust and possibility of
insects crawling inside them as well as small kids poking
thing into the computer.
You get about 3 years power supply life after which you should
change them - the last thing you want is motherboard
and hard disk going up in flames because a power
supply you should have changed for $15 has not been changed.