Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Sending a fax from a normal fax machine to a PC ...

Sending a fax from a normal fax machine to a PC ...

NDB

Can anyone advise please ...

Someone asked me if they could send me a fax but I can't receive a fax as I
don't own a fax machine.

However, I do own a PC and run Microsoft Outlook.

Please forgive me if I am asking a silly question but is it possible for
someone to send a fax from a standard fax machine to my PC so I can read the
fax?

If so, how can it be achieved. Do I need some special software or anything?

TIA.

--
NDB.

(Remove [nospam] from e-mail address when corresponding by e-mail)

127.0.0.1

"NDB" <ndb0105@[nospam]ml1.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone advise please ...
>
> Someone asked me if they could send me a fax but I can't receive a fax as
> don't own a fax machine.
>
> However, I do own a PC and run Microsoft Outlook.
>
> Please forgive me if I am asking a silly question but is it possible for
> someone to send a fax from a standard fax machine to my PC so I can read
> the
> fax?
>
> If so, how can it be achieved. Do I need some special software or
> anything?

winfax (or whatever software you google up)
and a fax/modem

or have them fax it to the closest kinko's center around your neigborhood

-a|ex

Muppet

"NDB" <ndb0105@[nospam]ml1.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone advise please ...
>
> Someone asked me if they could send me a fax but I can't receive a fax as
> don't own a fax machine.
>
> However, I do own a PC and run Microsoft Outlook.
>
> Please forgive me if I am asking a silly question but is it possible for
> someone to send a fax from a standard fax machine to my PC so I can read
> the
> fax?
>
> If so, how can it be achieved. Do I need some special software or
> anything?
>
> TIA.
>
> --
> NDB.
>
> (Remove [nospam] from e-mail address when corresponding by e-mail)

https://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/signupFree
Try this...

Vanguard

"NDB" <ndb0105@[nospam]ml1.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone advise please ...
>
> Someone asked me if they could send me a fax but I can't receive a fax
> as I
> don't own a fax machine.
>
> However, I do own a PC and run Microsoft Outlook.
>
> Please forgive me if I am asking a silly question but is it possible
> for
> someone to send a fax from a standard fax machine to my PC so I can
> read the
> fax?
>
> If so, how can it be achieved. Do I need some special software or
> anything?
>
> TIA.
>
> --
> NDB.
>
> (Remove [nospam] from e-mail address when corresponding by e-mail)

We are supposed to GUESS what operating system you use or, if it is
Windows, WHICH version of Windows? Windows 2000/XP has a Fax Service
that you can use to send and receive faxes provided you have a
fax-capable analog modem. Start -> Programs -> Accessories ->
Communications.

I prefer not to have the Fax Service answer all my incoming telephone
calls and I'm not going to pay for a separate phone line just for faxing
which I do maybe once a year. The only time I get stuck faxing is with
the government since everyone else has gone to e-mail. Instead I use
the free eFax service to receiving inbound faxes via e-mail and I use
the Fax Service to send outbound faxes using my data/fax modem. Don't
bother installing any of the eFax software. You won't need it.

Start -> Help and Support
Search on "fax".

For e-mail: Remove "NIXTHIS" and append "#VS811" to Subject.

news.dsl.pipex.com

"Muppet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41fa7103$0$16583$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "NDB" <ndb0105@[nospam]ml1.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can anyone advise please ...
> >
> > Someone asked me if they could send me a fax but I can't receive a fax

as
> > don't own a fax machine.
> >
> > However, I do own a PC and run Microsoft Outlook.
> >
> > Please forgive me if I am asking a silly question but is it possible for
> > someone to send a fax from a standard fax machine to my PC so I can read
> > the
> > fax?
> >
> > If so, how can it be achieved. Do I need some special software or
> > anything?
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > --
> > NDB.
> >
> > (Remove [nospam] from e-mail address when corresponding by e-mail)
> >

> https://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/signupFree
> Try this...

Excellent. Thanks.

--
NDB.

(Remove [nospam] from e-mail address when corresponding by e-mail)

news.dsl.pipex.com

"127.0.0.1" <get.rooted@localhost> wrote in message
news:Q3uKd.317$(E-Mail Removed). net...

> "NDB" <ndb0105@[nospam]ml1.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can anyone advise please ...
> >
> > Someone asked me if they could send me a fax but I can't receive a fax

as
> > don't own a fax machine.
> >
> > However, I do own a PC and run Microsoft Outlook.
> >
> > Please forgive me if I am asking a silly question but is it possible for
> > someone to send a fax from a standard fax machine to my PC so I can read
> > the
> > fax?
> >
> > If so, how can it be achieved. Do I need some special software or
> > anything?
> >

> winfax (or whatever software you google up)
> and a fax/modem
>
> or have them fax it to the closest kinko's center around your neigborhood
>
> -a|ex

Many thanks. Unfortunately, I only have an ADSL modem.