Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wi-fi hotspots

Wi-fi hotspots

tezza

I've found plenty of wi-fi faq on the web but can anyone tell me about the
cost? And do I need to register with the ISP at the host site or can i
access the net using my own isp?

TIA

Tezza

PC

"tezza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've found plenty of wi-fi faq on the web but can anyone tell me about the
> cost? And do I need to register with the ISP at the host site or can i
> access the net using my own isp?
>
> TIA
>
> Tezza

Tezza

Regretfully you haven't given enough information.
What do you expect 'WiFi' to do for you, connect two computers together,
connect to the Internet??

Cheers
Paul.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

tezza wrote:

> I've found plenty of wi-fi faq on the web but can anyone tell me about the
> cost? And do I need to register with the ISP at the host site or can i
> access the net using my own isp?
>
> TIA
>
> Tezza

It varies a lot. Some "hot spots" are free to use, such as at gourmet
coffee shops and the like. Some hotels throw in wireless access to the
internet. Some places charge for fast internet access. But you need to
check with each source to get the requirements. If you're using Windows
XP and you fire up a laptop at a coffee shop, it give you a message that
a wireless network is available and ready for use.

Carlos

There are some neat programs that will tell you when a wi-fi spot is
near, even show you several networks and the details such as signal
strength, whether it's coded and the name of the network.
http://www.pctel.com/mobilitysolutions.html is one of them, you may find
more at Tucows or CNET.
If the name of the network is something like Linksys, Netgear, Dlink
etc. most likely is a network that somebody set up but never bother to
protect by encoding it, that means that you they are free to use by
anyone.
This is a security problem for the owner of the network, for example
there's something going around called Drive-by-spam, someone goes around
looking for one of those networks and then use it to send spam then move
to another network and so on, impossible to catch the spammer and a
liability problem for the network owner.
Most of the networks that require a subscription to be used are the most
reliable and steady, some are kiosk installed at a mall, cafe, hotel
etc. you can used the wireless and if you don't have a laptop you can
access the internet from the kiosk.
You can subscribe to the wireless for an hour, a day, a month. The
subscription is usually cheaper than a direct DSL or cable service and
you can use the subscription at other hot spots that are in the same
network or in associated networks.