Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > firewall question

firewall question

Lee Geist

After weeks of frustration at inability to access several sites, I found
that my firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro) was blocking required outgoing passwords.
Temporarily shutting down the firewall gave me full access.

But the question is: How dangerous is it to disable the firewall for a
relatively short period (say an hour)? I'm on cable, so I'm effectively
on-line and available all the time, and according to reports from both ZA
and Norton attack attempts are frequent. Can a hacker get in while the
computer is actively on-line, or is the danger period only when the computer
is inactive?
Advice much appreciated.

Gloria Goitre

"Lee Geist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> After weeks of frustration at inability to access several sites, I
> found that my firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro) was blocking required outgoing
> passwords. Temporarily shutting down the firewall gave me full access.
>
> But the question is: How dangerous is it to disable the firewall
> for a relatively short period (say an hour)? I'm on cable, so I'm
> effectively on-line and available all the time, and according to
> reports from both ZA and Norton attack attempts are frequent. Can a
> hacker get in while the computer is actively on-line, or is the
> danger period only when the computer is inactive?
> Advice much appreciated.

Zonelabs have a forum, go there to ask your ****ed up question, you nong.

You lost the pricks in 24hour****up.idiotdesk after this point in your post
"After weeks of frustration at inability" because that very feeling is with
them all, night and ****in' day.

--
Glorious Goitre

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Lee Geist wrote:
> After weeks of frustration at inability to access several sites, I found
> that my firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro) was blocking required outgoing passwords.
> Temporarily shutting down the firewall gave me full access.
>
> But the question is: How dangerous is it to disable the firewall for a
> relatively short period (say an hour)? I'm on cable, so I'm effectively
> on-line and available all the time, and according to reports from both ZA
> and Norton attack attempts are frequent. Can a hacker get in while the
> computer is actively on-line, or is the danger period only when the computer
> is inactive?
> Advice much appreciated.

I wouldn't advise it. But for an hour or so if your Windows are patched
up to date, you are less likely to run into problems like sasser,
blaster, etc. Hackers getting in is a possibility but not real likely.
Can't you set ZA to allow full communications with the particular sites?
And from your post it appears you are running two firewalls, not a good
idea.

Kutloze Scheefgepoepte

"Lee Geist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> After weeks of frustration at inability to access several sites, I
> found that my firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro) was blocking required outgoing
> passwords. Temporarily shutting down the firewall gave me full access.
>
> But the question is: How dangerous is it to disable the firewall
> for a relatively short period (say an hour)? I'm on cable, so I'm
> effectively on-line and available all the time, and according to
> reports from both ZA and Norton attack attempts are frequent. Can a
> hacker get in while the computer is actively on-line, or is the
> danger period only when the computer is inactive?
> Advice much appreciated.

Look ****wit, if there is no firewall present and you have SP2 correctly
installed, XP will apply its own firewall whether you like it or not, so
your machine will be protected whether you like it or not.

Like it or not you are a ****wit.

--
You ain't Dutch if you've been conned.

Kutloze Scheefgepoepte

news:(E-Mail Removed)

That was really ****in' helpful, eh, you prized donkey's arse?

--
You ain't Dutch if you've been conned.

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Lee Geist mused:

| After weeks of frustration at inability to access several sites, I found
| that my firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro) was blocking required outgoing passwords.
| Temporarily shutting down the firewall gave me full access.

There is an option in ZoneAlarm to add sites to a list that will bypass
the web filtering. I think they call it a Safe List. Check the
documentation/help file.

Unknown

You are extremely obnoxious. Who are you trying to impress with your foul
language?
"Kutloze Scheefgepoepte" <Almost-like-a-rat-up@****in-drain-pipe.sa.oz> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>> Lee Geist wrote:
>>> After weeks of frustration at inability to access several sites, I
>>> found that my firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro) was blocking required
>>> outgoing passwords. Temporarily shutting down the firewall gave me
>>> full access. But the question is: How dangerous is it to disable the
>>> firewall
>>> for a relatively short period (say an hour)? I'm on cable, so I'm
>>> effectively on-line and available all the time, and according to
>>> reports from both ZA and Norton attack attempts are frequent. Can a
>>> hacker get in while the computer is actively on-line, or is the
>>> danger period only when the computer is inactive?
>>> Advice much appreciated.

>> I wouldn't advise it. But for an hour or so if your Windows are
>> patched up to date, you are less likely to run into problems like
>> sasser, blaster, etc. Hackers getting in is a possibility but not
>> real likely. Can't you set ZA to allow full communications with the
>> particular sites? And from your post it appears you are running two
>> firewalls, not a good idea.

> That was really ****in' helpful, eh, you prized donkey's arse?
>
> --
> You ain't Dutch if you've been conned.

Illanas' Flaps

"Unknown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Sw9Kd.23949$(E-Mail Removed) m

Top-posting fixed.

>> "Kutloze Scheefgepoepte"
>> <Almost-like-a-rat-up@****in-drain-pipe.sa.oz> wrote in message

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)
>>>
>>> I wouldn't advise it. But for an hour or so if your Windows are
>>> patched up to date, you are less likely to run into problems like
>>> sasser, blaster, etc. Hackers getting in is a possibility but not
>>> real likely. Can't you set ZA to allow full communications with the
>>> particular sites? And from your post it appears you are running two
>>> firewalls, not a good idea.

>> That was really ****in' helpful, eh, you prized donkey's arse?

> You are extremely obnoxious.

I'll graciously accept that compliment on Kutloze Scheefgepoeptes' behalf,
he'll be thrilled. Thank you.

> Who are you trying to impress with your foul language?

He seems to have grabbed what's left of your meagre mind, Roger. Is there
something you'd like me to convey to him on your behalf so as not to distort
the drivel you spout, mmm?

--
Wanna look at my little titties?

Kutloze Scheefgepoepte

Who gives a **** what you think. Why don't you tell some **** that cares you
****in' retard?

It grabbed you attention as short as that ****in' is, eh?.

Ga'rn, **** off you wanker and get a thicker skin.

--
You ain't Dutch if you've been conned.

Unknown

Never fails to make me wonder why idiots think that using foul language
impresses people. I think you should grow up and learn how to communicate
instead of trying to impress people with foul language.