Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to configure Outlook Express for IMAP?

How to configure Outlook Express for IMAP?

Julie P.

Hi, I am having trouble configuring Outlook Express 6 for IMAP with my new
webhost: IX Webhosting. This is what I use now for settings for them:

incoming mail server: mail.[my domain].com
outgoing mail server: smtp.comcast.net (this is my ISP's required setting)
outgoing server does not require authentication

Under the "Advanced" tab:

outgoing SMTP service port: 25
incoming IMAP service port: 143

Under the "IMAP" tab:

"Folders":
root folder path: ????? [it is blank right now, and "mail/" does not work]
"check for messages in all folders": checked

"Special Folders":
"store special folders on IMAP server": checked
Sent items path: "Sent Items"
Drafts path: "Drafts"

I can send and receive email fine. The problem is all of my sent emails are
being routed to the "Sent Items" folder for a local, unrelated, mail account
on my computer (POP3), not to a folder in my IX Webhosting IMAP account. And
no "Sent Items" or "Drafts" folders automatically downloaded when I created
my IX Webhosting IMAP account. I created these folders later, under "Inbox",
but the sent mails and drafts to not automatically route there.

Does anyone know what I can do to resolve this. Perhaps I need to change my
"root folder path"??

There were no instructions in IX Webhosting's online manual for configuring
IMAP. Plus when I contacted their tech support, they had no idea how to
configure IMAP. they said it was up to me to learn to configure OE6. I tried
doing a search about configuring IMAP for OE6, yet all the sites found were
specific for the servers at the universities they were written for, and
nothing I tried wroked. Moreover, the Outlook Express 6 help function did
not go into any detail about configuring IMAP.

Thanks for any help!

Julie

Dodo

Move the folders you created on the IMAP server to the root folder.

Sigel

Trying to configure IMAP clients can be tricky for any server. You gotta
know a little bit about how the IMAP server works.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...