Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DVD not playing in windows media player

DVD not playing in windows media player

Chris

Hi all.

I have a problem that has occured on 2 computers running Windows XP
pro so far.
The wierd thing is i just bought a new computer and placed a DVD in
and it opened windows media and played it. I now get the same message
that WMP cannot play this same DVD.

I can only think is a windows update though I got the same message on
a friends computer I had built the software on and added SP2.
This computer had previously played DVD's.
I tried the error message suggestions on what to try without any luck.

Any suggestions on a fix or a better software to use for playback.

Thanks

Chris

Redhead

VideoLAN is your answer. Free DVD player that is awesome! I loaded it on my
computers since Windows media player says I have to get software to view the
movie. "get" equates to purchase.
Here is the link:
http://www.videolan.org/

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all.
>
> I have a problem that has occured on 2 computers running Windows XP
> pro so far.
> The wierd thing is i just bought a new computer and placed a DVD in
> and it opened windows media and played it. I now get the same message
> that WMP cannot play this same DVD.
>
> I can only think is a windows update though I got the same message on
> a friends computer I had built the software on and added SP2.
> This computer had previously played DVD's.
> I tried the error message suggestions on what to try without any luck.
>
> Any suggestions on a fix or a better software to use for playback.
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris

Chris

Thanks Redhead ill give it a try

Redhead

your welcome!
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Redhead ill give it a try

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi all.
|
| I have a problem that has occured on 2 computers running Windows XP
| pro so far.
| The wierd thing is i just bought a new computer and placed a DVD in
| and it opened windows media and played it. I now get the same message
| that WMP cannot play this same DVD.
|
| I can only think is a windows update though I got the same message on
| a friends computer I had built the software on and added SP2.
| This computer had previously played DVD's.
| I tried the error message suggestions on what to try without any luck.
|
| Any suggestions on a fix or a better software to use for playback.

Windows Media Player by default cannot play DVD movies. It requires a
plug-in. Most plug-ins are referrals by MS...I bet they get a cut! Here's a
link to a plug-in that's free:
ftp://iseb2.surgi.dote.hu/Microsoft/...ck/DVDPack.msi

Chris

Thanks Tim worked great.
No idea why its not a default in Windows MEDIA Player hehe.

Chris

Toolman Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Thanks Tim worked great.
| No idea why its not a default in Windows MEDIA Player hehe.

Agreed. Maybe MS was trying to avoid stepping on the toes of the companies
already providing DVD solutions - PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc. But that really
would surprise me, considering how many *other* toes they've stepped on over
the years!