Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB - Device won't install

USB - Device won't install

Eos

I am ready to chuck the pc through the window! I have a Sony DSC-P93 digital
camera and I use Win XP Pro. I tried to connect the camera to the PC, but
everytime I run the "installation program" on the CD and reboot, Windoze
keeps asking me for the driver...'again. Well, it's there in a folder which
the "installation program" created, but it doesn't want to know about it.
Then I point it to the folder and tell it to 'go fetch'....'nada! I bought a
USB card reader today to see if that would solve the problem, but it doesn't
show up either. It also has an "installation program"! (I prefer a folder on
the cd rom with an INF file). Well, I have 4 USB ports in total, one for
printer, one for webcam and one for another digital camera (Canon make).
Everything else works fine. They all work on the 'spare' port too. Is there
any way to check if the mass storage driver is working okay, as it "might"
be the problem...'then again, it might not be. I tried the Sony digicam and
the card reader on another pc in the house, and they just pop up as soon as
they are plugged into the USB ports. I've googled all over the internet till
I'm sick of looking at it, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
TIA.
Eos.

PC

"Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
news:MtSJd.33764$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>I am ready to chuck the pc through the window! I have a Sony DSC-P93
>digital camera and I use Win XP Pro. I tried to connect the camera to the
>PC, but everytime I run the "installation program" on the CD and reboot,
>Windoze keeps asking me for the driver...'again. Well, it's there in a
>folder which the "installation program" created, but it doesn't want to
>know about it. Then I point it to the folder and tell it to 'go
>fetch'....'nada! I bought a USB card reader today to see if that would
>solve the problem, but it doesn't show up either. It also has an
>"installation program"! (I prefer a folder on the cd rom with an INF file).
>Well, I have 4 USB ports in total, one for printer, one for webcam and one
>for another digital camera (Canon make). Everything else works fine. They
>all work on the 'spare' port too. Is there any way to check if the mass
>storage driver is working okay, as it "might" be the problem...'then again,
>it might not be. I tried the Sony digicam and the card reader on another pc
>in the house, and they just pop up as soon as they are plugged into the USB
>ports. I've googled all over the internet till I'm sick of looking at it,
>so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> TIA.
> Eos.

Eos

The rule of thumb with USB is 'put the software in first'

So, remove all the software to do with the Camera and Card Reader (check in
safe mode as well) reboot and reinstall the software.
Then plug the Camera / Reader in, not before.

Best luck

Paul.

Tony

"Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
news:MtSJd.33764$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>I am ready to chuck the pc through the window! I have a Sony DSC-P93
>digital camera and I use Win XP Pro. I tried to connect the camera to the
>PC, but everytime I run the "installation program" on the CD and reboot,
>Windoze keeps asking me for the driver...'again. Well, it's there in a
>folder which the "installation program" created, but it doesn't want to
>know about it. Then I point it to the folder and tell it to 'go
>fetch'....'nada! I bought a USB card reader today to see if that would
>solve the problem, but it doesn't show up either. It also has an
>"installation program"! (I prefer a folder on the cd rom with an INF file).
>Well, I have 4 USB ports in total, one for printer, one for webcam and one
>for another digital camera (Canon make). Everything else works fine. They
>all work on the 'spare' port too. Is there any way to check if the mass
>storage driver is working okay, as it "might" be the problem...'then again,
>it might not be. I tried the Sony digicam and the card reader on another pc
>in the house, and they just pop up as soon as they are plugged into the USB
>ports. I've googled all over the internet till I'm sick of looking at it,
>so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> TIA.
> Eos.

Are your ports USB1 or USB2? The DSC-P93 manual says it is only compatible
with USB2. Have you installed XP service pack 2 to enable USB2 support?
(that is if your motherboard supports it). XP should recognise it without
any additional drivers. The drivers are for W98/ME only.

Fred

"Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
news:MtSJd.33764$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>I am ready to chuck the pc through the window! I have a Sony DSC-P93
>digital camera and I use Win XP Pro. I tried to connect the camera to the
>PC, but everytime I run the "installation program" on the CD and reboot,
>Windoze keeps asking me for the driver...'again. Well, it's there in a
>folder which the "installation program" created, but it doesn't want to
>know about it. Then I point it to the folder and tell it to 'go
>fetch'....'nada! I bought a USB card reader today to see if that would
>solve the problem, but it doesn't show up either. It also has an
>"installation program"! (I prefer a folder on the cd rom with an INF file).
>Well, I have 4 USB ports in total, one for printer, one for webcam and one
>for another digital camera (Canon make). Everything else works fine. They
>all work on the 'spare' port too. Is there any way to check if the mass
>storage driver is working okay, as it "might" be the problem...'then again,
>it might not be. I tried the Sony digicam and the card reader on another pc
>in the house, and they just pop up as soon as they are plugged into the USB
>ports. I've googled all over the internet till I'm sick of looking at it,
>so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> TIA.
> Eos.

The solution lies in your opening sentence.

Eos

"PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UjTJd.11936$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:MtSJd.33764$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>I am ready to chuck the pc through the window! I have a Sony DSC-P93
>>digital camera and I use Win XP Pro. I tried to connect the camera to the
>>PC, but everytime I run the "installation program" on the CD and reboot,
>>Windoze keeps asking me for the driver...'again. Well, it's there in a
>>folder which the "installation program" created, but it doesn't want to
>>know about it. Then I point it to the folder and tell it to 'go
>>fetch'....'nada! I bought a USB card reader today to see if that would
>>solve the problem, but it doesn't show up either. It also has an
>>"installation program"! (I prefer a folder on the cd rom with an INF
>>file). Well, I have 4 USB ports in total, one for printer, one for webcam
>>and one for another digital camera (Canon make). Everything else works
>>fine. They all work on the 'spare' port too. Is there any way to check if
>>the mass storage driver is working okay, as it "might" be the
>>problem...'then again, it might not be. I tried the Sony digicam and the
>>card reader on another pc in the house, and they just pop up as soon as
>>they are plugged into the USB ports. I've googled all over the internet
>>till I'm sick of looking at it, so any assistance would be greatly
>>appreciated.
>> TIA.
>> Eos.
>>

> Eos
>
> The rule of thumb with USB is 'put the software in first'
>
> So, remove all the software to do with the Camera and Card Reader (check
> in safe mode as well) reboot and reinstall the software.
> Then plug the Camera / Reader in, not before.
>
> Best luck
>
> Paul.

Thanks for the tip Paul. I just tried all that you said, but no joy.
Eos.

Eos

news:ct9311$gse$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:MtSJd.33764$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>I am ready to chuck the pc through the window! I have a Sony DSC-P93
>>digital camera and I use Win XP Pro. I tried to connect the camera to the
>>PC, but everytime I run the "installation program" on the CD and reboot,
>>Windoze keeps asking me for the driver...'again. Well, it's there in a
>>folder which the "installation program" created, but it doesn't want to
>>know about it. Then I point it to the folder and tell it to 'go
>>fetch'....'nada! I bought a USB card reader today to see if that would
>>solve the problem, but it doesn't show up either. It also has an
>>"installation program"! (I prefer a folder on the cd rom with an INF
>>file). Well, I have 4 USB ports in total, one for printer, one for webcam
>>and one for another digital camera (Canon make). Everything else works
>>fine. They all work on the 'spare' port too. Is there any way to check if
>>the mass storage driver is working okay, as it "might" be the
>>problem...'then again, it might not be. I tried the Sony digicam and the
>>card reader on another pc in the house, and they just pop up as soon as
>>they are plugged into the USB ports. I've googled all over the internet
>>till I'm sick of looking at it, so any assistance would be greatly
>>appreciated.
>> TIA.
>> Eos.
>>

> Are your ports USB1 or USB2? The DSC-P93 manual says it is only
> compatible with USB2. Have you installed XP service pack 2 to enable USB2
> support? (that is if your motherboard supports it). XP should recognise
> it without any additional drivers. The drivers are for W98/ME only.

My ports are USB 1.1, but the other PC also has USB 1.1 and both camera and
card reader work fine on that one, but not one mine. My other USB devices
work okay on my PC. I have Win XP Pro SP2 installed.
The camera does work on a USB 1.1. system, but just slower than on a USB 2.0
system would run. I downloaded the USBREADY utility from Intel and it says I
have the necessary software and harware in place. I have the 'usbstor.inf'
file in the c:\windows\inf folder, which I take to be the USB driver for Win
XP and USB devices. I know I shouldn't really need to install a driver from
the CD which came with the camera as it states it's only for Win98/ME.
Anyone know where I go from here? :-{ (It's getting "nightmarish").
Eos.

Tony

"Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
news:gSVJd.36624$(E-Mail Removed). uk...

> My ports are USB 1.1, but the other PC also has USB 1.1 and both camera
> and card reader work fine on that one, but not one mine. My other USB
> devices work okay on my PC. I have Win XP Pro SP2 installed.
> The camera does work on a USB 1.1. system, but just slower than on a USB
> 2.0 system would run. I downloaded the USBREADY utility from Intel and it
> says I have the necessary software and harware in place. I have the
> 'usbstor.inf' file in the c:\windows\inf folder, which I take to be the
> USB driver for Win XP and USB devices. I know I shouldn't really need to
> install a driver from the CD which came with the camera as it states it's
> only for Win98/ME.
> Anyone know where I go from here? :-{ (It's getting "nightmarish").
> Eos.

Try running the autoplay repair wizard from Microsoft

Eos

"Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:MtSJd.33764$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>>I am ready to chuck the pc through the window! I have a Sony DSC-P93
>>digital camera and I use Win XP Pro. I tried to connect the camera to the
>>PC, but everytime I run the "installation program" on the CD and reboot,
>>Windoze keeps asking me for the driver...'again. Well, it's there in a
>>folder which the "installation program" created, but it doesn't want to
>>know about it. Then I point it to the folder and tell it to 'go
>>fetch'....'nada! I bought a USB card reader today to see if that would
>>solve the problem, but it doesn't show up either. It also has an
>>"installation program"! (I prefer a folder on the cd rom with an INF
>>file). Well, I have 4 USB ports in total, one for printer, one for webcam
>>and one for another digital camera (Canon make). Everything else works
>>fine. They all work on the 'spare' port too. Is there any way to check if
>>the mass storage driver is working okay, as it "might" be the
>>problem...'then again, it might not be. I tried the Sony digicam and the
>>card reader on another pc in the house, and they just pop up as soon as
>>they are plugged into the USB ports. I've googled all over the internet
>>till I'm sick of looking at it, so any assistance would be greatly
>>appreciated.
>> TIA.
>> Eos.

> The solution lies in your opening sentence.

LOL!
Eos.

Governor Swill

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:18:09 GMT, "Eos"
<FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

>> So, remove all the software to do with the Camera and Card Reader (check
>> in safe mode as well) reboot and reinstall the software.
>> Then plug the Camera / Reader in, not before.
>>
>> Best luck
>>
>> Paul.
>>

>Thanks for the tip Paul. I just tried all that you said, but no joy.
>Eos.

Did you go into Device Manager and manually remove it there?

Swill

--
If you find a message from myself offensive, inappropriate or
disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore

Governor Swill

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:11:02 -0000, "Tony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Try running the autoplay repair wizard from Microsoft
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Or do a driver update and let Windows connect.

Swill

--
If you find a message from myself offensive, inappropriate or
disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore
a posting, complain to me and I will demonstrate. -- Wicked Nickname
(E-Mail Removed)