Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WinXP SP2 and DEP (on A64 3400+) , Swap File Location

WinXP SP2 and DEP (on A64 3400+) , Swap File Location

jp10558

°Mike°

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:29:13 -0500, in
<1106764144.63052459255a7d210e56749d08f5ad3b@teran ews>
jp10558 scrawled:

>Should I turn on DEP

What you should do, IMO, is to turn off the stupid PGP
messages in a simple text group like this.

<snip garbage>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Morgan Pugh

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:29:13 -0500, jp10558 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Should I turn on DEP for all programs, or leave it at the
>default of "only for critical windows programs and services"?

I would leave it as it is.

>Also, is it worth while (performance wise) to have your swap
>file on a different drive than the boot drive (incedentally, on
>a different IDE Channel)?

Yes, [technically] it will improve performance, whether you can tell
is a matter of opinion

Also I suggest that you don't sign message in the future when posting
to this group as the majority of posters/readers do not sign and it
can be annoying to none PGP users.

jp10558

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:17:05 GMT, Morgan Pugh wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:29:13 -0500, jp10558 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Should I turn on DEP for all programs, or leave it at the
>>default of "only for critical windows programs and services"?

> I would leave it as it is.
>
>>Also, is it worth while (performance wise) to have your swap
>>file on a different drive than the boot drive (incedentally, on
>>a different IDE Channel)?

> Yes, [technically] it will improve performance, whether you can tell
> is a matter of opinion
>
> Also I suggest that you don't sign message in the future when posting
> to this group as the majority of posters/readers do not sign and it
> can be annoying to none PGP users.

I guess so. Sorry about that. I'll stop doing so.

Anyone who doesn't care RE PGP/etc can stop reading here.

My reasons for PGP signing my previous messages are twofold, one to
establish a sort of psudoidentity. Anyone can be jp10558 on any usenet
board. My e-mail address used here is disposable by nature (I got spam
about 5 minutes after my first post, I have now turned that address off).
So to give anyone who cares any sort of chain that holds jp10558's posts
before and now come from the same person, I had to use something like PGP.
On webforums that require logging in, I don't use pgp as there is an
expectation that I will likely be the only one able to log in and post as
that. Even there, if I did use PGP, it would allow those who care to verify
that, yes jp10558 from 24hoursupport.helpdesk is the same jp10558 on
http://my.opera.com/forums/ . That way, any good or bad reputation I may
have is followable for people who might see my posts in more than one
place. I think for web forums a good compromise might be to sign a message
in my profile - something that doesn't exist on usenet.

The second reason I was signing my messages was to increase awareness of
PGP/GPG and possibly subtly encourage people to start using it for e-mail
or their own authentication. The reasons for this desire have been
expounded almost ad nauseam on PGP related discussion boards, my reasons
are substantially similar.

And look - no GPG signature this time - though I very well at this point be
someone trolling and the real jp10558 will come back later PO'd.

Morgan Pugh

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:47:09 -0500, jp10558 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

<snipped to save space>

I understand exactly why you used PGP as I am a PGP user.

It is always a good idea to check before posting using PGP though as
this is a worldwide group.

If you want to advertise PGP (which I think is a great idea) I suggest
putting a link in your signature pointing to www.gnupg.org,
www.pgp.com and www.openpgp.org with a catchy one liner to get people
to have a look.

Mogir the troublesome

Morgan Pugh, <(E-Mail Removed)>, wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:29:13 -0500, jp10558 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Should I turn on DEP for all programs, or leave it at the
>> default of "only for critical windows programs and services"?

> I would leave it as it is.

Ok, but what a competent person who knew what they were doing suggest? The
exact opposite, maybe? Hmmm?

--
G Morgan admits that he gets told he's a
****wit, not just on usenet, but in in real

Gonig the snotling-scratcher

Morgan Pugh, <(E-Mail Removed)>, wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:47:09 -0500, jp10558 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> <snipped to save space>

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ whole post, which had a PGP signature.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! You ****ing nong.