Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > need mother board divers

need mother board divers

detap

HI, I just bought a computer in a yard sale and I need to reformat the O/S,
and I don't have the CD for the mother board. How do I find what kind of
board in it and where do i get the divers to install?

Vanguard

"detap" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CMNJd.6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> HI, I just bought a computer in a yard sale and I need to reformat
> the O/S,
> and I don't have the CD for the mother board. How do I find what kind
> of
> board in it and where do i get the divers to install?

Pop the covers and start looking on the motherboard for identification
markings. Aida32 (now called Everest Home) might tell you something
about your motherboard, as might also Belarc Advisor. All are free.

For e-mail: Remove "NIXTHIS" and append "#VS811" to Subject.

Miss Perspicacia Tick

detap wrote:
> HI, I just bought a computer in a yard sale and I need to reformat
> the O/S, and I don't have the CD for the mother board. How do I find
> what kind of board in it and where do i get the divers to install?

Yes, those motherboard divers can be damned tricky to pin down... ;o)
on salads.

elaich

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:vvOJd.16350$(E-Mail Removed):

> detap wrote:
>> HI, I just bought a computer in a yard sale and I need to reformat
>> the O/S, and I don't have the CD for the mother board. How do I find
>> what kind of board in it and where do i get the divers to install?

> Yes, those motherboard divers can be damned tricky to pin down... ;o)

You usualy find divers down by the ocean, right?

Parko

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:21:38 -0700, detap wrote:

> HI, I just bought a computer in a yard sale and I need to reformat the O/S,
> and I don't have the CD for the mother board. How do I find what kind of
> board in it and where do i get the divers to install?

Install an OS that don't need no pesky MB drivers installed. You know, a
real one that works out of the box, as it were.
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

Vanguard

"Parko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 07:21:38 -0700, detap wrote:
>
>> HI, I just bought a computer in a yard sale and I need to reformat
>> the O/S,
>> and I don't have the CD for the mother board. How do I find what kind
>> of
>> board in it and where do i get the divers to install?

> Install an OS that don't need no pesky MB drivers installed. You know,
> real one that works out of the box, as it were.

You do NOT buy an operating system and then determine if your critical
applications support are supported by that operating system. You decide
on what applications are critical, which ones are available for which
operating platform, and then choose the OS to support your applications.
Getting the OS without regard to what you need to use it for is like
buying some oddball media player for media that doesn't exist. The OP
did not delineate what applications were considered critical and what
choices for primary and alternate selections were supported by which
operating system.

YOU assumed the OP was asking about Windows. I don't see an OS listed
in the original post, do you? The OP got "a computer". That says
NOTHING much. You are so eager to bash an operating system that you
spew without even knowing what OS the OP intends to use. Maybe their
needs dictate Solaris x86 so neither Windows or Linux are even
candidates for the operating system. The OP needs to select the OS for
*his* needs, NOT yours. Bashing any OS and proselytizing your choice
does a *disservice* to the OS you proselytize. I use Windows, Solaris,
HP-UX, AIX, AS/400, IBM VM, and some others and I certainly wouldn't
want you as a representative in "promoting" my preferred OS which, in
fact, demotes it. If the OP got an old Commodore and wanted to use Geos
on it that that's their choice and need (good luck trying to find
anything for it, though). Get the right tool for the job rather than
mangle the tool to fit the job.